U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 AM

9,206 posts, read 20,221,533 times

Advertisements

For the last 2 weeks, I've been battling Japanese Beetles. At 1st, it wasn't that bad, a few here & there but that soon changed to an infestation. I'm down in Glouster County, don't ever remember having this many in Burlington County.

At 1st I used a gallon milk jug, cut a hole in it, opposite the handle & was spraying the beetles, then knocking them into the jug. I don't like to spray, learned this trick from a rose hybridizer friend years ago, you put the bloom in the hole & spray so that the good bugs don't get sprayed. It worked for a few days.

I then got a peanut butter container, I added water, some dish soap (they can't fly with the bubbles) I'd knock them into it. I ended up getting rid of the dish soap & throwing a shot of orthene in it. So far, this has been the best way to catch them. In one week I had a quart freezer bag filled with them.

I also broke out the beetle bags, they are filled 1/2 way after 2 days. So between the bags, my jar & a spray bottle filled with orthene, I've been trying to keep the damage to my plants at a minimum but there are too many beetles. I'll have to take a picture one day, imagine a rose bud, just opening and 20-30 beetles on it.

The beetles are really bad on hot & dry days like yesterday. Yesterday was actually the worst I've seen. I'll walk around the yard at 6:30 - 7am and see a handful, same thing later, once the sun goes down. They seem to start coming out about 9am and are at their worst from noon to 2-3pm. At these times is when I'm just spraying because they are having orgies on my plants. They're not only eating my roses & perennials but are eating our redbud, lilac, forsythia, & lilies as well, plus are hanging out in junipers, not sure if they can damage those. About the only thing I haven't seen them on is my iris, my daylilies are also being eaten as they bloom.

Figured I'd give other gardeners a warning so that you know they are coming and they are bad. There is one spray that we bought Ortho Max in a red bottle that worked pretty good but that gets expensive which is why I've been mixing the Orthene concentrate in a gallon jug. Yesterday I went through 2 spray bottles (regular sized garden ones from Walmart) that's how bad they were. We also picked up a granular product, black bag. There are so many dead beetles on the ground, I have no clue if it's due to the spray or granuals.

I also said they were nasty. I'm planting the gardens at our new house (over 100 roses, 400 perennials, iris, daylilies, shrubs) so I've been outside most of the day except to take breaks. The beetles are attacking me. I could be working in the garden, minding my own business when a few will get mad that I'm by the plant they want to munch on and start coming after me. They fly by your head, they have the nastiest sound they make when they fly. Last night we were eating dinner, what was crawling on hubby's shirt? You guessed it, a beetle.

Those of you that haven't seen them yet, prepare your yards because they are on their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,655,061 times
Can it be that you didn't like to listen to the English Beatles and now other beetles are letting you know that?

All kidding aside:

I'm very sorry about your beetle problem and I hope you'll be able to rid of at least most of them. Have a Happy 4th!

How To Get Rid of Japanese Beetles | eHow.com

Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 AM

7,577 posts, read 19,980,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
For the last 2 weeks, I've been battling Japanese Beetles. At 1st, it wasn't that bad, a few here & there but that soon changed to an infestation. I'm down in Glouster County, don't ever remember having this many in Burlington County.

At 1st I used a gallon milk jug, cut a hole in it, opposite the handle & was spraying the beetles, then knocking them into the jug. I don't like to spray, learned this trick from a rose hybridizer friend years ago, you put the bloom in the hole & spray so that the good bugs don't get sprayed. It worked for a few days.

I then got a peanut butter container, I added water, some dish soap (they can't fly with the bubbles) I'd knock them into it. I ended up getting rid of the dish soap & throwing a shot of orthene in it. So far, this has been the best way to catch them. In one week I had a quart freezer bag filled with them.

I also broke out the beetle bags, they are filled 1/2 way after 2 days. So between the bags, my jar & a spray bottle filled with orthene, I've been trying to keep the damage to my plants at a minimum but there are too many beetles. I'll have to take a picture one day, imagine a rose bud, just opening and 20-30 beetles on it.

The beetles are really bad on hot & dry days like yesterday. Yesterday was actually the worst I've seen. I'll walk around the yard at 6:30 - 7am and see a handful, same thing later, once the sun goes down. They seem to start coming out about 9am and are at their worst from noon to 2-3pm. At these times is when I'm just spraying because they are having orgies on my plants. They're not only eating my roses & perennials but are eating our redbud, lilac, forsythia, & lilies as well, plus are hanging out in junipers, not sure if they can damage those. About the only thing I haven't seen them on is my iris, my daylilies are also being eaten as they bloom.

Figured I'd give other gardeners a warning so that you know they are coming and they are bad. There is one spray that we bought Ortho Max in a red bottle that worked pretty good but that gets expensive which is why I've been mixing the Orthene concentrate in a gallon jug. Yesterday I went through 2 spray bottles (regular sized garden ones from Walmart) that's how bad they were. We also picked up a granular product, black bag. There are so many dead beetles on the ground, I have no clue if it's due to the spray or granuals.

I also said they were nasty. I'm planting the gardens at our new house (over 100 roses, 400 perennials, iris, daylilies, shrubs) so I've been outside most of the day except to take breaks. The beetles are attacking me. I could be working in the garden, minding my own business when a few will get mad that I'm by the plant they want to munch on and start coming after me. They fly by your head, they have the nastiest sound they make when they fly. Last night we were eating dinner, what was crawling on hubby's shirt? You guessed it, a beetle.

Those of you that haven't seen them yet, prepare your yards because they are on their way.
Thanks for the heads up...means they will be arriving in Northern NJ shortly. I'll get my bags ready : )

Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 AM

NJguy, thanks for the link.

Wiley, yeah I figured you'd be interested, hopefully by the time they get to you it won't be as bad.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,518,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Thanks for the heads up...means they will be arriving in Northern NJ shortly. I'll get my bags ready : )
They are already here. I noticed them about a week ago. Let the battle begin

Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
They are already here. I noticed them about a week ago. Let the battle begin

I noticed a "few"... I do spray as well (sorry roselvr). Triacide? I believe it's called. My neighbor, the landscaper, said it's one of the environmental friendliest sprays to use... not sure how true that is but it works and it doesn't kill the "important" bugs : ) I'll be pulling out the armor, getting prepared for the Japanese Invasion : )

Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM

That was how it started was with a few. By the next week it was horrible.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM

6,271 posts, read 15,515,707 times
Do they look something like this...

??

Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I noticed a "few"... I do spray as well (sorry roselvr). Triacide? I believe it's called. My neighbor, the landscaper, said it's one of the environmental friendliest sprays to use... not sure how true that is but it works and it doesn't kill the "important" bugs : ) I'll be pulling out the armor, getting prepared for the Japanese Invasion : )

Terry, what I bought was Triazicide Granules (http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/TriazicideSoilTurfGranules/ - broken link), which is probably what you're talking about.

As I said, I don't usually spray but have no other choice. Orthene is a pretty powerful spray.
I just walked around, they're out now that the rain stopped & it's getting warmer.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Lammius - awww..how cute! This poor guy must be really tired - nice of his pal to give him a piggy back ride : )

[SIZE=3]See full-size image[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or