U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 21,108 times

Advertisements

Good Day Everyone!!!

I would like to move to Jersey City New Jersey I wonder if there is a safe neighborhood over there where I can raise my Kids safetly and also I would like to know how much the insurance rates over there> I have one car toyota corrolla 2004 ???? thanks Also how much is gas prices over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyluckru View Post
Good Day Everyone!!!

I would like to move to Jersey City New Jersey I wonder if there is a safe neighborhood over there where I can raise my Kids safetly and also I would like to know how much the insurance rates over there> I have one car toyota corrolla 2004 ???? thanks Also how much is gas prices over there?
Safe neighborhood near JC??? Try the Forum search for that answer. Regarding auto ins. - NJ, I believe, is the second highest in the nation... plus if you move to an urban area, it will be even higher. I would venture to say you'll be paying around 800 to 1000/yr. assuming the vehicle is paid off? No loan? Gas near me is at 3.89/gallon for regular.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:59 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,339,539 times
A good price for gas near me is $3.95. Auto insurance will depend on coverage and your driving record as well as where you live and how you use your car. Assuming you have a good record and want full coverage, it will be at least $1000.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 PM

526 posts, read 1,222,406 times
I have found insurance rates in my area of New Jersey to be quite fair, rather than asking in a forum such as this, why don't you call an insurance company, or get a online quote. My guess is that JC is going to be a little more expensive given that it is a very urban environment, and is bound to have more accidents and car theft.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,652,320 times
You're going to get "creamed" on price in Jersey City.

Between vandalism, cars parking playing bumper cars and the like - you're better not having a car in Jersey City.

If you need to drive look elsewhere - that's my opinion.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 PM

209 posts, read 1,552,134 times
With all due respect to njguy, I think he's wrong - many people (if not most) in Jersey City have cars and do fine. If you're downtown it's probably worth getting a spot in a lot or garage so you don't have to worry about parking or break-ins.

The only real hazard to having a car in Jersey City is car break-ins, which do happen, particularly if you leave anything visible in the cabin of the car. As long as you keep a very neat car with nothing out you're usually safe but as in any city you might have bad luck and have something happen.

That said, my car insurance rates in downtown Jersey City are pretty reasonable -- we insure two relatively nice cars for I think $1400 a year (and $700 a year for each car ain't bad for just about any part of NJ). This is with State Farm. Rates vary a lot, though, and some insurers (even usually cheap ones like GEICO or Progressive) do give very high quotes so it pays to shop around.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:57 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,652,320 times
downtownjc - I know for a fact that Auto Insurance in Hudson County on the whole is priced considerably more than Bergen County where I reside. I know this as I lived in this area all of my life. I know that females get better rates than males and I don't know what gender you are.

As at the time me a 42 year old male with an ultra-clean driving record and a VERY modest car the rates I was quoted (by 7 companies) for Hudson county areas especially Jersey City were terribly high like in the $1,800.00/year or so range for 1 car and a $500.00 deductible for comp and collision. Here in Bergen County the rate was closer to $1K or so range for the same at the time.

To the OP: I hope that you find as good a rate or close to it as downtownjc pays.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 AM

625 posts, read 3,261,879 times
Car insurance rates in NJ are insane. I have been driving for about 8 years and this is the first year I am paying less than $2k. I know someone that was quoted $5k per year!!! Progressive wanted about $2500 per six months from me. It's best to shop around and shop around alot. Geico used to be cheap when they first came back to NJ but I guess they just joined in with every other company of criminals and started to rob us too!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Car insurance rates in NJ are insane. I have been driving for about 8 years and this is the first year I am paying less than $2k. I know someone that was quoted $5k per year!!! Progressive wanted about $2500 per six months from me. It's best to shop around and shop around alot. Geico used to be cheap when they first came back to NJ but I guess they just joined in with every other company of criminals and started to rob us too!
I'm 27.... the highest car insurance I've ever paid was $1600/yr, and right now, I'm at $600/yr....

Geico, imho, is a rip off for many. I highly recommend esurance.com

Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,126,849 times
It depends on age, driving record, if you leave your car on the street or a garage. Like downtown said DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING VISIBLE. No change laying around, no CDs, DEFINITELY NO GPS SYSTEMS. They are our biggest cause for auto breakins at this time. People come from the burbs and have thousand dollar GPS systems showing and wonder why some mutt broke their window and stole the GPS. I would say at least a 1,000 for basic insurance. Just remember what I highlighted and you should be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or