U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2008, 01:59 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,180 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Well, one reason people may stereotype could be that those of us who are not from NJ run into people from NJ that live up to the stereotype. I just broke up with a Puerto Rican guy who grew up in Jersey City, thinks it is cool to talk like Tony Soprano, and thought he could act like that too (but didn't have Tony's money or power). He wore a thick gold bracelet and a horrible white gold & star sapphire pinkie ring that he had inherited from his now deceased alcoholic step-dad, who used to beat up his enemies in front of him, while he took him to strip bars and gambling joints until his mom booted him out. He still thinks that gold nugget jewelry is cool. This guy, although very charming, funny as hell, intelligent and very capable, doesn't want to work, didn't go to college, pretends he is a Mercedes when he is just a rust-bucket 1977 Cadillac - his favorite car (he collects them and has 3 at the moment). He's never been out of the US and thinks that the only place you can get a good Italian deli sandwich is in Hoboken. A living stereotype if I ever saw one. He thought he could act like a male chauvinist pig and push me around (I just found out that he beat up his first wife who has a permanent restraining order on him) and take advantage of me financially. He drinks cheap red wine, curses all the time, and can't get along with anyone here in VA because of his big mouth and rude, pushy, demanding manners. He's been fired from past jobs because of sexual harrassment and lives up to the worst image you could imagine of NJ Hispanic men in general, though in his own mind he is a Mafioso.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Jewish friends - one from Westfield who is educated, good mannered, the other from Newark, also highly educated and with nice manners and pleasant disposition. Both think Jersey City is a total dump. Both now live in Texas and would never move back to Jersey.

The only things I've ever seen of Jersey is the Turnpike when I'm on my way to Philly to visit a friend and the Jersey shore which, sorry but it does not even begin to compare with the West Coast of California. Most of the people were fat, ugly and had tattoos. I never saw so many unattractive people in one place in my life. I know that sounds shallow, something which I know I'm not, and I do try to be objective but there is no comparison to the beaches in California or even in the Gulf Coast or Florida.

I know that Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi are from Jersey, and I'm sorry but that is simply not my style even though I think both are great rock n roll musicians. Not having seen any of all the stuff people talk about, I have only these people to go on.

The ex-boyfriend to me is definitely an archetype. He is psycho and loves to act out some bad stereotype that he thinks is "cool" about Jersey. Which is why is is very much an EX.

I hope and pray that the rest of the people there are not like that. However, I have no desire to go live there or visit to find out because of the image that is projected. Jersey folks may want to think about that when they wonder why the rest of the country stereotype Jersey.

For now I'm going to assume that a few bad apples have ruined the bunch but even then the NJ culture does nothing to inspire me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
210 posts, read 1,045,909 times
Reputation: 161
Default Don't mess with Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaInVirginia View Post
Well, one reason people may stereotype could be that those of us who are not from NJ run into people from NJ that live up to the stereotype. I just broke up with a Puerto Rican guy who grew up in Jersey City, thinks it is cool to talk like Tony Soprano, and thought he could act like that too (but didn't have Tony's money or power). He wore a thick gold bracelet and a horrible white gold & star sapphire pinkie ring that he had inherited from his now deceased alcoholic step-dad, who used to beat up his enemies in front of him, while he took him to strip bars and gambling joints until his mom booted him out. He still thinks that gold nugget jewelry is cool. This guy, although very charming, funny as hell, intelligent and very capable, doesn't want to work, didn't go to college, pretends he is a Mercedes when he is just a rust-bucket 1977 Cadillac - his favorite car (he collects them and has 3 at the moment). He's never been out of the US and thinks that the only place you can get a good Italian deli sandwich is in Hoboken. A living stereotype if I ever saw one. He thought he could act like a male chauvinist pig and push me around (I just found out that he beat up his first wife who has a permanent restraining order on him) and take advantage of me financially. He drinks cheap red wine, curses all the time, and can't get along with anyone here in VA because of his big mouth and rude, pushy, demanding manners. He's been fired from past jobs because of sexual harrassment and lives up to the worst image you could imagine of NJ Hispanic men in general, though in his own mind he is a Mafioso.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Jewish friends - one from Westfield who is educated, good mannered, the other from Newark, also highly educated and with nice manners and pleasant disposition. Both think Jersey City is a total dump. Both now live in Texas and would never move back to Jersey.

The only things I've ever seen of Jersey is the Turnpike when I'm on my way to Philly to visit a friend and the Jersey shore which, sorry but it does not even begin to compare with the West Coast of California. Most of the people were fat, ugly and had tattoos. I never saw so many unattractive people in one place in my life. I know that sounds shallow, something which I know I'm not, and I do try to be objective but there is no comparison to the beaches in California or even in the Gulf Coast or Florida.

I know that Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi are from Jersey, and I'm sorry but that is simply not my style even though I think both are great rock n roll musicians. Not having seen any of all the stuff people talk about, I have only these people to go on.

The ex-boyfriend to me is definitely an archetype. He is psycho and loves to act out some bad stereotype that he thinks is "cool" about Jersey. Which is why is is very much an EX.

I hope and pray that the rest of the people there are not like that. However, I have no desire to go live there or visit to find out because of the image that is projected. Jersey folks may want to think about that when they wonder why the rest of the country stereotype Jersey.

For now I'm going to assume that a few bad apples have ruined the bunch but even then the NJ culture does nothing to inspire me.
Stop talking k thanks. First of all NJ is the 3rd smallest state how can you compare California to us fairly? We don't pretend to be California or Florida. NJ has more diversity than all of the south put together. NJ people aren't "unnattractive", they're are very good looking, average looking, and bad looking people just like every other state. You probablly went to some trashy shore town, where I do admitt you will find some trashy people, but if you go to Compton, California you're bound to find trashy people aswell. You think Virginia doesn't have stereotypes? You obvisouly can't handle the diversity of NJ or its realness so go back to your trailer park and talk about how you don't like minorities or whatever you hicks do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
 
1,446 posts, read 4,413,110 times
Reputation: 334
Birds of a feather flock together. (as in the case of your socalled ex)

Jews flocking to Texas? What a concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:04 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 3,009,145 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
A lot of people who don't live here stereotype NJ as being full of "only factories" or "an industrial wasteland". I find it funny because I believe around 80% of NJ is picture perfect suburbs, around 10% shore towns, and than the next 10% small ghetto cities. NJ isn't called the Garden State for nothing, it is really beautiful in most of NJ so why do people continue to think we all live by power plants?
Who cares what they think??? Let's keep the great things about NJ a secret since it is crowded enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM
 
1,024 posts, read 3,009,145 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaInVirginia View Post
Well, one reason people may stereotype could be that those of us who are not from NJ run into people from NJ that live up to the stereotype. I just broke up with a Puerto Rican guy who grew up in Jersey City, thinks it is cool to talk like Tony Soprano, and thought he could act like that too (but didn't have Tony's money or power). He wore a thick gold bracelet and a horrible white gold & star sapphire pinkie ring that he had inherited from his now deceased alcoholic step-dad, who used to beat up his enemies in front of him, while he took him to strip bars and gambling joints until his mom booted him out. He still thinks that gold nugget jewelry is cool. This guy, although very charming, funny as hell, intelligent and very capable, doesn't want to work, didn't go to college, pretends he is a Mercedes when he is just a rust-bucket 1977 Cadillac - his favorite car (he collects them and has 3 at the moment). He's never been out of the US and thinks that the only place you can get a good Italian deli sandwich is in Hoboken. A living stereotype if I ever saw one. He thought he could act like a male chauvinist pig and push me around (I just found out that he beat up his first wife who has a permanent restraining order on him) and take advantage of me financially. He drinks cheap red wine, curses all the time, and can't get along with anyone here in VA because of his big mouth and rude, pushy, demanding manners. He's been fired from past jobs because of sexual harrassment and lives up to the worst image you could imagine of NJ Hispanic men in general, though in his own mind he is a Mafioso.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Jewish friends - one from Westfield who is educated, good mannered, the other from Newark, also highly educated and with nice manners and pleasant disposition. Both think Jersey City is a total dump. Both now live in Texas and would never move back to Jersey.

The only things I've ever seen of Jersey is the Turnpike when I'm on my way to Philly to visit a friend and the Jersey shore which, sorry but it does not even begin to compare with the West Coast of California. Most of the people were fat, ugly and had tattoos. I never saw so many unattractive people in one place in my life. I know that sounds shallow, something which I know I'm not, and I do try to be objective but there is no comparison to the beaches in California or even in the Gulf Coast or Florida.

I know that Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi are from Jersey, and I'm sorry but that is simply not my style even though I think both are great rock n roll musicians. Not having seen any of all the stuff people talk about, I have only these people to go on.

The ex-boyfriend to me is definitely an archetype. He is psycho and loves to act out some bad stereotype that he thinks is "cool" about Jersey. Which is why is is very much an EX.

I hope and pray that the rest of the people there are not like that. However, I have no desire to go live there or visit to find out because of the image that is projected. Jersey folks may want to think about that when they wonder why the rest of the country stereotype Jersey.

For now I'm going to assume that a few bad apples have ruined the bunch but even then the NJ culture does nothing to inspire me.


Ahhh a woman scorned can probably not be reasoned with on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
210 posts, read 1,045,909 times
Reputation: 161
Default Sup yo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Who cares what they think??? Let's keep the great things about NJ a secret since it is crowded enough.
I agree, NJ is a wasteland, everyone is ugly, we all live in powerplants and say Joisey and cawfee (being sarcastic, that should keep people from moving here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,972,926 times
Reputation: 1246
Victoria - Your ex sounds like an *******! A punk from the northeast part of NJ. If he lived by me and acted that way, he would be getting his arse wooped daily!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM
 
Location: High Bridge
2,736 posts, read 8,545,601 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Ahhh a woman scorned can probably not be reasoned with on this subject.
Come on, don't you know all guys who beat their wives and sexually harass and demean women live in NJ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,202 times
Reputation: 10
This brings back memories to my days as a grad student at Rutgers in New Brunswick. The drive there took you through Elizabeth, Rahway, and those were days when New Brunswick was not exactly "90210" ... I also remember another a stereotype re: New Jersey (or maybe just Rutgers). There was a sign in one of the Men's Room that said "If you are so smart then why aren't you in Princeton". Oh well ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Stewartsville, NJ
7,577 posts, read 19,972,926 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Come on, don't you know all guys who beat their wives and sexually harass and demean women live in NJ?

well yes, but we try not to talk about it with outsiders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top