U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM

210 posts, read 1,046,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Victoria - Your ex sounds like an *******! A punk from the northeast part of NJ. If he lived by me and acted that way, he would be getting his arse wooped daily!
Having once lived in Essex county I can confirm most people don't act like that. Although I didn't live in Newark or East Orange, people weren't exactly rich but they did make an effort not to be cocky or ghetto like "victoria's" ex

Last edited by Miami305Kid; 07-05-2008 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,846,704 times
I think it has to do with serveral reasons. Like it or not, NJ will all ways be in NYC's shadow. That is just the way it is, so I think people around the nation views Jersey with an inferiority complex. Also, NJ is down right ugly when you're driving down the highway, if I was from another state, and I saw Jersey for the first time, I'll be horrified.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Default k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I think it has to do with serveral reasons. Like it or not, NJ will all ways be in NYC's shadow. That is just the way it is, so I think people around the nation views Jersey with an inferiority complex. Also, NJ is down right ugly when you're driving down the highway, if I was from another state, and I saw Jersey for the first time, I'll be horrified.
That's true, NJ's highways aren't very scenic but than again we wouldn't judge NYC by what we see on the Cross Bronx Expressway

Old 07-05-2008, 08:06 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,554,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
That's true, NJ's highways aren't very scenic but than again we wouldn't judge NYC by what we see on the Cross Bronx Expressway
The majority of people going into new york aren't seeing the BQE or the OUterbridge; they see the city. The majority of tourists into NJ see Newark Airport, and the stops along the way on into NY Penn.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:26 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,993,084 times
Quote:
Having once lived in Essex county I can confirm most people don't act like that. Although I didn't live in Newark or East Orange, people weren't exactly rich but they did make an effort not to be cocky or ghetto like "victoria's" ex
Sorry..didn't mean to generalize about NE NJians. I was referring to her ex's - specific type of NE NJian... mafiaso wannabe... gangster wannabe. We don't have many of those out here - cattle rancher wannabes maybe but not gangsters : )))

Old 07-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Default lol its fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sorry..didn't mean to generalize about NE NJians. I was referring to her ex's - specific type of NE NJian... mafiaso wannabe... gangster wannabe. We don't have many of those out here - cattle rancher wannabes maybe but not gangsters : )))
It's fine Actually Jersey City is in Hudson county anyway, and I only lived in Essex for a short period of time but yeah the gangster wannabee attitude is definitley not what Jersey is about

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,053,111 times
Quote:
Or by catching a game at Shea or Yankee stadiums? Duh?

California HWYs, the ones most people use who are NOT mega-billionaires are pretty darn ugly and over-crowded too.

Florida is great...if you like driving behind a white caddy going 45 in a 60 MPH zone? And once you think you've gotten rid of the slow grandpa...another one pops up..two nano-seconds later.

And the attitude is priceless no matter where you live. Choose your accent. It's all the same in the end.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 PM

88 posts, read 480,249 times
I mean there are suburbs in North Jersey that have factories, dirty highways, and ******* guidos...so if this is a nice neighborhood imagine the worst.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Default aite dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
I mean there are suburbs in North Jersey that have factories, dirty highways, and ******* guidos...so if this is a nice neighborhood imagine the worst.
I admitt parts of Essex, Hudson, and Union counties live up to these streotypes. BUT, what do they all have in common? They are close to NYC, one might say too close. With NYC drawing in everyone people neglect the areas around it and they begin to decay, Newark, Jersey City, Patterson, Union City, etc. Also I stopped caring what out-of-staters think of NJ. Let them think I'm a power plant-dwelling-mafia crime boss-that says Joisey for all I care

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,337,519 times
>>that says Joisey for all I care

I have to say that drives me nuts. Some people when they hear I am from NJ, start with the "Joisey" accent. I do NOT have that accent. I do realize some people do,
closer to the NY boarder I think (not sure..lol) But it's like I have to say, "I don't talk like that", it 's NEW JERZ EE, not JOY ZEE. Sorry...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey