U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 PM

433 posts, read 832,287 times

Advertisements

Did anyone read that Hunterdon County made the Top 10 Forbes List for the best places to live and also the lowest cost of living?

"It's qualities like these that landed Hamilton County atop Forbes' list. Ozaukee County, Wis., and Johnson County, Kan. came in second and third. Rounding out the top five? Geauga and Delaware Counties in Ohio. Chester County, Pa., and Hunterdon County, N.J. placed in the top ten. All earn high marks for their low cost of living, reasonably priced homes and short commute times. They also offer terrific schools, one of the most important characteristics to consider when choosing a place to raise a family."

America's Best Places to Raise a Family - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas-best-places-to-raise-a-family.html - broken link)

Anyone familiar with life in Hunterdon County? I'm struggling with relocation issues and can't decide whether or not to stay in NJ or to relocate to Knoxville, TN or N.E.PA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,050,190 times
I don't know if things have changed, but when I was looking for a house about 10 years ago Hunterdon Cty wasn't exactly on the "reasonable" side.

Maybe the tax rate is low?

Easy commute to where? I don't think that living in Hunterdon County would be an easy commute to NYC. Rt 78 is horrible going east during morning commuting hours.

Hunterdon Cty is a very nice place to live - not sure about the low cost of living or the easy commute to anywhere east of Hunterdon.

Schools? From what I understand the elementary schools are great. Hunterdon No....I don't know anything other than what I have heard and what I have heard is that it's not so great. But I don't know...this is all from a friend of my husband's who is a Detective in Hunterdon.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:22 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,581,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Did anyone read that Hunterdon County made the Top 10 Forbes List for the best places to live and also the lowest cost of living?

"It's qualities like these that landed Hamilton County atop Forbes' list. Ozaukee County, Wis., and Johnson County, Kan. came in second and third. Rounding out the top five? Geauga and Delaware Counties in Ohio. Chester County, Pa., and Hunterdon County, N.J. placed in the top ten. All earn high marks for their low cost of living, reasonably priced homes and short commute times. They also offer terrific schools, one of the most important characteristics to consider when choosing a place to raise a family."

America's Best Places to Raise a Family - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas-best-places-to-raise-a-family.html - broken link)

Anyone familiar with life in Hunterdon County? I'm struggling with relocation issues and can't decide whether or not to stay in NJ or to relocate to Knoxville, TN or N.E.PA.
People don't retire to Hunterdon county, although it is one of my favorite counties in NJ. When I was working in Madison I looked at housing there and although there were exceptions I didn't find it overly expensive. Some towns have high taxes but where are they not. TN and NE PA have much lower costs of living.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,546,636 times
With the exception of a few towns, Hunterdon County is still very reasonably priced, taxes aren't cheap (highest in NJ), trains and buses make for an easy NYC commute, there is no crime, and most schools are excellent, and get top ratings on the regular.

I love life here

Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 6,907,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
With the exception of a few towns, Hunterdon County is still very reasonably priced, taxes aren't cheap (highest in NJ), trains and buses make for an easy NYC commute, there is no crime, and most schools are excellent, and get top ratings on the regular.

I love life here

I'm in the Hopewell/Ringoes area....and I agree

Life is Good here...crime is so low East Amwell Twp. dosen't even have a police department !! Talk about a tax savings...

Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 AM

6,471 posts, read 9,810,303 times
Hunterdon Co. is beautiful. The taxes are high though. But if you can get a steal fixer upper like Cu Cullin did, it kind of offsets the tax burden.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Just be prepared to spend some time with our good friends mr. circular saw, mr. paint-roller, mr. scraper, the entire drill bit and screwdriver family, and of course pencil to paper for plans

Now if I could just get the hood open on the van... (long story, I think the cable broke, so I need to disassemble the hood )

Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 AM

342 posts, read 1,593,084 times
We just moved to Raritan Twp. Hunterdon Co. So far it is great. I guess your decision will rest on where your job is located and how long of a commute you can handle. So far, my husband's 50 minute commute to Newark is ok with him. Mind you he leaves at 5:30am and leaves the office by 4pm. Home prices here have dropped, yet they are still higher than PA. But depending on where in NE Pa. you are looking, Hunterdon Co. offers a better quality of life, IMHO. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM

433 posts, read 832,287 times
Thanks everyone for the info..... Hunterdon County or NEPA sounds like a good fit for me. I'm also considering TN/Northern GA. Decisions.... decisions. The more I research, the more confused I am. Excuse me while I go out back and hang myself.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Thanks everyone for the info..... Hunterdon County or NEPA sounds like a good fit for me. I'm also considering TN/Northern GA. Decisions.... decisions. The more I research, the more confused I am. Excuse me while I go out back and hang myself.
Well, here's some additional commentary for you...

My gf's parents love the area, her paternal great grandmother lived in Hampton, and her dad would like to live out his retirement years here. Meanwhile, my dad is considering moving here so he can get the property and house he wants, still have a good education for my sister (big age difference), with a shorter commute (oddly enough - they are in union county now), and still be reasonably close (about 20 minutes, same as now) to my aunt (my mom's terms).

Theres kind've something here for everyone. Except those who want the urban life. Suburban or rural, the area has quite a bit to offer without being out of touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey