Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC79 View Post
thank you - this is very helpful

wow @ some self-righteous *******s who never broke any laws, never crossed the street on red, never eaten at a restaurant that employs illegal immigrants... just wow.
That's a very lame attempt at justifying breaking the law and contributing to the cycle of lowering wages.

Oh yeah, I have jaywalked. What of it.

How would I know about the legal status of a restaurant's employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:22 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Post a listing for the job you need done. pay $10 an hour and its not something riddiculous, and you will get a response

Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,102 times
Thanks for the reminder of Craigslist. I am looking for the same but don't want to hire these illegal workers as a single woman. Has anyone had good experiences with craigslist and the services they advertise? Thanks

Old 07-06-2008, 06:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Thanks for the reminder of Craigslist. I am looking for the same but don't want to hire these illegal workers as a single woman. Has anyone had good experiences with craigslist and the services they advertise? Thanks
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good experiences, but there's also plenty who have had bad experiences. The key is to understand what you're getting- when you hire someone from Craigslist who's unlicensed, uninsured, and willing to work for $20/hour cash, you can't expect the same level of quality and professionalism that you'd get if you hired a legitimate firm that needs to charge $20/hour just to cover overhead.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good experiences, but there's also plenty who have had bad experiences. The key is to understand what you're getting- when you hire someone from Craigslist who's unlicensed, uninsured, and willing to work for $20/hour cash, you can't expect the same level of quality and professionalism that you'd get if you hired a legitimate firm that needs to charge $20/hour just to cover overhead.
And not to mention the "what ifs"..what if they get injured while working on your property? There goes your house!!! I would shop around for a small, local, licensed and insured contractor. Make sure they carry "worker's comp. ins" as well. If they are a sole proprietor and have no employees, they don't need comp. ins. Or call your homeowner's ins. co. as some cover you for uninsured contractors/laborers... saving pennies may cost you big dollars!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 4,212 times
Go to Summit Avenue between 5th and 7th street in North Bergen, nj

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
or summit ave - almost leaving jersey city to union city after Poplar st.. LOTS of them standing around waiting

Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
I read the post as wondering if there are places in New Jersey such as Manpower, Daily Work/Daily Pay, etc.

Those places are popular in "Right to Work" states. I would occasionally go to them for work in between jobs when I lived in Florida, which is a "Right to Work" state.

It's harder--often just impossible--to find those places in other states, because so much is unionized. 90% of the jobs we'd get sent to do one could not do in New Jersey without belonging to the relevant union. Even when those types of places do exist in states that are not "Right to Work", there are not many jobs they can send you out to do.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
You can find tons in Journal Square (in front of building) along Summit Ave. Im sure they will work for a few bucks an hour. Also, alot of homeless people might take you up on offer. I saw them everyday to work! Jersey City just offered so much to see!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
just go to your local UE office, many white will happy wish they were doing those jobs for a days pay. We are the new illegals in our own country!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey