U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 01:49 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,387,287 times

Advertisements

Let me state first I am not a liberal or making a claim that I love illegals.

Driving thru Dover's downtown it was hustling and bustling with a latin /spanish/mexican flair. They have seem to build there own little communtiy and most of the shop have some type of latin/spanish influence if not owned by a spanish. now correct me if I am wrong which I could be but have they help business down there. I mean there is shops and people eating, buying I mean its there own little space and maybe it would be a empty burnt out toledo if not for those spanish.

I do not feel scared or nervous walking, i kinda thought it was cool. A simple smile is the universal hello, and they all seem happy. I am proud that they have built a nice little spot. Its better than burnt out empty buildings!! Now am I missing something???
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM

13,320 posts, read 19,657,523 times
At one, time long ago, it was a regular ordinary type of town.......and quite the place to go to catch a train, or go to Americas first Newberry's.......
Then it did become a boarded up town, empty stores......quite uncomfortable.
And now..........( I havn't been that way in awhile) it seems it is as you discribe.
It has been going towards being a latin/spanish town/ community for 40 years or more.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Default Wrong about what?

I was curious what is your post really about?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM

4,111 posts, read 12,826,509 times
They have a flea market there every Sunday, just saw a commercial promoting it in fact, looks like they have newer and different things than in the past.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:07 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,387,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I was curious what is your post really about?
well you always make me think but this time I did it on my own, what I was getting at was I was one to always kinda bash this type of community and I got to thinking what if they were not there, would it be an empty no vibe type place. So I am getting more open minded. I was wondering what you people thought?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Not so sure that has anything to do with so called "open mindedness".

Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 PM

197 posts, read 692,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well you always make me think but this time I did it on my own, what I was getting at was I was one to always kinda bash this type of community and I got to thinking what if they were not there, would it be an empty no vibe type place. So I am getting more open minded. I was wondering what you people thought?
Here is what *I* think....

I think that immigrants bring fresh blood into this country and eventually they assimilate. Your observation was right on....and in fifty years, the kids from that Dover neighborhood will have moved on to more "mainstream" communities with their Irish, Italian, Dutch, African American, Nigerian, French or Lebanese etc spouses. Their full blooded American kids and grandkids will be so thoroughly Americanized that they will not eve think of themselves as "immigrants" or otherwise. Over dinner, they will debate the issues of their day which will undoubtedly include talking about the recent influx of "Finnish, Swahili, Argentinian or Portuguese or whatever" immigrants that have recently settled into their own little communities.....

It's the cycle of life....and the cycle of America.

My maternal grandparents came here in the 20s/30s and they still remember how poorly Italians were treated. The rest of my folks are south american.

The very things we love and treasure about NJ--it's rich ethnicity--is exactly what has occurred as a direct result of heavy immigration....

Lola

Old 07-05-2008, 07:02 PM

197 posts, read 692,286 times
PS. I am 1.5 generation latina (came here as a kid) and my DH is full blooded American, many generations back although his people came from Ireland, Germany and Pennsylvania Dutch. The only thing our families have SOLIDLY in common by way of background is at some point they came here seeking a better life. Wherever we all came from, our families have lots of non-background things in common such as values, goals etc but that's another thread.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:31 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
Here is what *I* think....

I think that immigrants bring fresh blood into this country and eventually they assimilate. Your observation was right on....and in fifty years, the kids from that Dover neighborhood will have moved on to more "mainstream" communities with their Irish, Italian, Dutch, African American, Nigerian, French or Lebanese etc spouses. Their full blooded American kids and grandkids will be so thoroughly Americanized that they will not eve think of themselves as "immigrants" or otherwise. Over dinner, they will debate the issues of their day which will undoubtedly include talking about the recent influx of "Finnish, Swahili, Argentinian or Portuguese or whatever" immigrants that have recently settled into their own little communities.....

It's the cycle of life....and the cycle of America.

My maternal grandparents came here in the 20s/30s and they still remember how poorly Italians were treated. The rest of my folks are south american.

The very things we love and treasure about NJ--it's rich ethnicity--is exactly what has occurred as a direct result of heavy immigration....

Lola
Excellent post as usual lolamom - you are so correct!!!!!! Hackettstown, a town near me, is seeing the same influx of latinos - it's getting to be a great, eclectic little main street town now! I have no issues with that!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:39 PM

970 posts, read 3,104,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Let me state first I am not a liberal or making a claim that I love illegals.

Driving thru Dover's downtown it was hustling and bustling with a latin /spanish/mexican flair. They have seem to build there own little communtiy and most of the shop have some type of latin/spanish influence if not owned by a spanish. now correct me if I am wrong which I could be but have they help business down there. I mean there is shops and people eating, buying I mean its there own little space and maybe it would be a empty burnt out toledo if not for those spanish.

I do not feel scared or nervous walking, i kinda thought it was cool. A simple smile is the universal hello, and they all seem happy. I am proud that they have built a nice little spot. Its better than burnt out empty buildings!! Now am I missing something???

I think Passaic is another town that is being gentrified by it's immigrant population as well.

By the way, it feels good to be back on city-data.
I haven't posted anything in over two weeks b/c I was vacationing in the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey