U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,978,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I always think "Damn, good yumminess wasted"
Ok..I'll let it slide this time - cranky broken ankled bastid!! LOL : ))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 06:23 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,124,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Yes, I agree with you. If they eat everything.........as the article suggests, how about the states/government investing in foods, with birth control amenities, so that they will stop proliferating?
I think we should invest in foods/water with human birth control.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:26 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,547,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Ok..I'll let it slide this time - cranky broken ankled bastid!! LOL : ))))
What can I say, I love venison! Venison steaks, venison jerky, venison sausage (with a nice slice o cheese), etc...

Tasty! Tasty I tell ya! (Though I still claim ankle-based immunity )

Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,384,621 times
Unhappy People too

[quote=wileynj;4346896]
Quote:
Actually, deer population growth is rather massive, and the wildlife authorities have been poorly handling the rising deer population. So really, the opposite is in order - we need better control over the deer population.

Deer eating away at forests nationwide - Environment - MSNBC.com

I'm sure it has to do with the extremely mild winters that we have been having. Sad but part of life - they use to starve to death in the winter. I'm not a huge believer in hunting but I'd rather that than see them starve or getting hit by cars - I like your idea about feeding the homeless with the meat. By me, if you see a dead deer on the side of the road, you can call the wolf santuary people and they will come and pick it up..use the meat to feed the wolves. alot of folk out here carry red cones so that they can mark the location for the wolf people.
When a deer hits a car or vis-versa, not only the deer is killed or injured. People - Children, Moms, Dads, Grandma & Grandpa's get killed or injured too.

I know this must seem like an obvious statement but I have not read anything on this thread (yet) which mentions the loss of human life.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:30 AM

9,198 posts, read 20,215,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
When a deer hits a car or vis-versa, not only the deer is killed or injured. People - Children, Moms, Dads, Grandma & Grandpa's get killed or injured too.

I know this must seem like an obvious statement but I have not read anything on this thread (yet) which mentions the loss of human life.

My son's car is a magnet for deer. He's hit 3 or 4 in the last few years that he's been driving. I'm very thankful my son wasn't hurt.

Quote:
Thats a part of it, but the bigger picture is that deer do not mate for life - one buck will plug a row of does, and out pops an exponentially increasing family.

I'm ok with hunting as long as the meat gets eaten; and it would be helpful to the economy in a small part, as game hunting would have a few extra buyer's, buthers could become "donation centers" and donate their time as a tax write-off (benefitting their business), with some tasty venison being a healthy charitable meal for those in need. Works all around
I agree, if they do start hunting, they should donate the meat.
The problem is, a lot of people don't like to see/hear/read that deer will be killed to contriol the population.

Watchung is one town that comes to mind. For years they've wanted to get a hunt going but the residents didn't agree & stopped it. I can't count the number of accidents I've seen or near misses while pumping gas on Somerset Street. The deer would come down our mountain and shoot across the road. While the deer would usually get up, the people in the car were not as lucky. I just visited the Watchung web site, looks like they did follow through with deer management in 2008. I'm sure Mayor Ellis caught a lot of poop for it.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,547,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post

Because almost every time you hit a deer, the deer dies. Usually, the passengers are *not* injured, other than a minor bump or bruise. And the problem is caused by the deer, therefore, the deer are the discussion.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,462,597 times
Quote:
How about increasing hunting allowance, including additional does (as in female deer) as long as a portion of the 2nd doe (or greater, dependent upon population) is donated to feed the homeless?

This has been implemented for several years now, the number of deer in huntable areas have greatly been diminished. In fact, hunters are allowed to shoot unlimited does with the proper permit. In areas like Cranford, where you are not allowed to hunt, the number of deer are increasing. There is also a program where Hunters donate to the hungry, which has been an overall success.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 AM

15,915 posts, read 10,965,840 times
Default adaptable deer

As mentioned the allowable doe harvest was one a day. The rate limiting step is access to huntable land. Towns pay companies like White Buffalo to kill deer at $350 taxpayer dollars a head. That $ figure was quoted a few years back. Farmers get state permits to shoot deer at anytime of the year.

Deer are adaptable and show up where ever they find suitable habitat. That habitat can be quite small. June and October are the big deer roadkill months as mating and expanding newborns spread out.

A buck crashed into an empty schoolbus on rt9 and main st in Woodbridge. Historic populations have hung on thru the years and in many cases expanded. You see them at the old Revlon site on rt 27, Mary Ave in Fords and even in alleys in Perth Amboy. Some have been seen swimming offshore.

Unfortunately the course has been set; diminishing habitat and burgeoning wild animal populations in their final expansion create a sad story for those that notice.

Birth control is a waste of money except in tighly controlled situations like zoos and parks. Theoretically, if you absolutely diminish a wild population to a certain threshold, the population will collapse and disappear.

The organization, Hunters for the Hungy, will provide food for the needy. Hunters go to certified butchers, pay a subsidy and the deer get donated.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,636,171 times
ANY time of year you can find 3-4 of them along rt24. More along on 78. Its a problem. There are some that I know of that hunt/kill deer all year long, license or not, anytime they come onto their property due to the crazy overpopulation near them. Quiet bow shot and an indiscriminate butcher and all is well. (not that I condone the behavior, just reporting on what I know is done)

If venison is cleaned and butchered very quickly it is a very fine peice of meat. Otherwise it is VERY gamey(sp?) IMO.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,338,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I think we should invest in foods/water with human birth control.
Don't we already have birth controls for humans in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or