U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM

517 posts, read 1,630,875 times

Advertisements

I've gone a few times in the last few years and the weather was perfect. I would check for a nice night with very little humidity. It's possible.
Go- you'll have a great time.

The SUV's were not in our way- but we had a Jeep. Not an issue as far as I could see.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
We use to go to the one in Ledgewood all the time. We use to sneak in..hide in the trunk..lol - ahhh the good old days!
Ah yes how can I forget the Ledgewood circle drive-in. I lived in Budd Lake for a long time so it was like 10 minutes.

Is that Sandwichs Unlimited still there? I know the circle is gone as is the metal NJ Diner that Cindi Lauper did the Time After Time video in. I miss that old dump for the $2 breakfast.

How can all those drive-ins be so stupid in those days? They knew damn well there were 4 people in the trunk. Then when Raceway Park required you drive into the ticket both with the trunk open it seems the movie drive-ins got the same idea.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,970,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ah yes how can I forget the Ledgewood circle drive-in. I lived in Budd Lake for a long time so it was like 10 minutes.

Is that Sandwichs Unlimited still there? I know the circle is gone as is the metal NJ Diner that Cindi Lauper did the Time After Time video in. I miss that old dump for the $2 breakfast.

How can all those drive-ins be so stupid in those days? They knew damn well there were 4 people in the trunk. Then when Raceway Park required you drive into the ticket both with the trunk open it seems the movie drive-ins got the same idea.
Interesting...we may know eachother : ) I grew up in Budd Lake and I was a manager at Sandwiches Unlimited for a few years - also tended bar at Smiles for a while...The Diner is still there but not open anymore - Tom's Diner. Cindi Lauper also filmed part of that video at Roses' Diner in Netcong. I use to work for an engineering firm on Main Street in Ledgewood and we use to go to Toms alot for lunch. It was a dump but they made the best Tuna Melts!

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,509,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Interesting...we may know eachother : ) I grew up in Budd Lake and I was a manager at Sandwiches Unlimited for a few years - also tended bar at Smiles for a while...The Diner is still there but not open anymore - Tom's Diner. Cindi Lauper also filmed part of that video at Roses' Diner in Netcong. I use to work for an engineering firm on Main Street in Ledgewood and we use to go to Toms alot for lunch. It was a dump but they made the best Tuna Melts!
Funny when I wrote about Sandwiches Unlimited I have a picture of the face of the manager in my head. I remember him clearly. He was a friendly guy. Then I think they opened a 2nd location and the guy moved on to the new store and I think the store failed but he never came back. Geez I wonder if that was you ! When we first bought our Budd Lake house it was a fixer and we ate there 4 nights a week when we had no kitchen and Wendys the other 3 nights.

Hey are you the guy that was over bragging about the Tuna Melts in the Budd Lake Diner? I remember that from another thread quite some time ago. I loved that place too as well as the tuna melts.

You worked at Smiles? Im smiling now!! You must remember HD Shannon. I shortened the name for purposes of this thread. If you know Shannon then you know what I mean. WOW now that is a memory. Anyway Im sure you served me. I think I used to get the chicken parm. Never drank alcohol though. I owned a remodeling company and did the HUD contracts in Hopatcong and Byram. All my crew was born and raised in Budd Lake. And we all ate at Smiles at least twice a week. Especially Fridays which was HD Shannon day.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Funny when I wrote about Sandwiches Unlimited I have a picture of the face of the manager in my head. I remember him clearly. He was a friendly guy. Then I think they opened a 2nd location and the guy moved on to the new store and I think the store failed but he never came back. Geez I wonder if that was you ! When we first bought our Budd Lake house it was a fixer and we ate there 4 nights a week when we had no kitchen and Wendys the other 3 nights.

Hey are you the guy that was over bragging about the Tuna Melts in the Budd Lake Diner? I remember that from another thread quite some time ago. I loved that place too as well as the tuna melts.

You worked at Smiles? Im smiling now!! You must remember HD Shannon. I shortened the name for purposes of this thread. If you know Shannon then you know what I mean. WOW now that is a memory. Anyway Im sure you served me. I think I used to get the chicken parm. Never drank alcohol though. I owned a remodeling company and did the HUD contracts in Hopatcong and Byram. All my crew was born and raised in Budd Lake. And we all ate at Smiles at least twice a week. Especially Fridays which was HD Shannon day.
You're talking about the owner of Sandwiches ; ) I was the good looking one..the female..lol : )))))) And yes, I know who HD Shannon is...Sabretts anyone? My sister worked at Smiles for years!!! Not a dancer..bartender. And my Dad was the cook for awhile - covered for them after the original chef died : ( Smiles is still there...sandwiches is gone. I think he has another location down the road on 46... mostly catering now I believe. I probably know most of the workers you had working for you : ) I worked there back in the mid to late 80's. Small world : )

Old 07-06-2008, 05:37 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,806,139 times
Quote:

Hey are you the guy that was over bragging about the Tuna Melts in the Budd Lake Diner? I remember that from another thread quite some time ago. I loved that place too as well as the tuna melts. .
I think that would be me. Love their tuna melts, btw, I'm not a guy.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,335,393 times
I do miss the drive-ins...

Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I think that would be me. Love their tuna melts, btw, I'm not a guy.
I got booted from the Budd Lake Diner : ( We had too many taylor ham, egg & cheese food fights there at night after we hit the bars.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFreak View Post
I do miss the drive-ins...
There's still a few still open in NJ. Where are you located? I'll see if I can find the closest one for you : )

Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM

Here's a website that you can use to find a drive in nearest you:
Drive-ins.com - Drive-In Theater Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey