U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
 
Location: VAGABUNDUS
239 posts, read 337,159 times
Reputation: 140

Advertisements

Essex,Bergen, Burlington,Camden,Hudson, and Monmouth are good counties. Best and worst counties does not exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
 
27,708 posts, read 21,742,067 times
Reputation: 25408
I grew up in Bergen County, and was at least fifth generation in my town there. However, it's not the same place I grew up in. When I was a kid, northwest Bergen was still semi-rural. People weren't as materialistic, and we didn't even have traffic lights in town yet. We had lots of woods to play in and pet chickens in the yard and the people behind us had horses. Now it's overpriced houses and people trying to outdo one another with what they've got and housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUVs and not watching where they're driving. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you.

Now I live in southern Monmouth County. It's quieter here and people don't seem as obsessed with what everyone else is doing.

I lived in Passaic County for about ten years, too. West Paterson, which was a nice little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 1,565,583 times
Reputation: 168
Best:
Burlington - Pine Barrens, Philly Metro Area very promising for the future, lots of open space
Ocean - Pine Barrens, some of the state's most beautiful beaches (Island Beach State Park)
Sussex - Lakes and Mountains, beautiful "getaway" scenery
Middlesex - "Heart of NJ" Central location to everything, instant access to major highways, top schools, New Brunswick nightlife.

Worst:
Hudson - Ultra-busy, mostly outright ugly, roads confusing as hell.
Bergen - Ditto, NYC preppiness, overpriced.
Monmouth - Pretentious desolate suburban wasteland full of high class yuppies or wannabes who live on credit.
Essex - Newark elements suck the life out of any well to do area there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 AM
 
Location: NJ
377 posts, read 747,976 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Best:
Burlington - Pine Barrens, Philly Metro Area very promising for the future, lots of open space
Ocean - Pine Barrens, some of the state's most beautiful beaches (Island Beach State Park)
Sussex - Lakes and Mountains, beautiful "getaway" scenery
Middlesex - "Heart of NJ" Central location to everything, instant access to major highways, top schools, New Brunswick nightlife.

Worst:
Hudson - Ultra-busy, mostly outright ugly, roads confusing as hell.
Bergen - Ditto, NYC preppiness, overpriced.
Monmouth - Pretentious desolate suburban wasteland full of high class yuppies or wannabes who live on credit.
Essex - Newark elements suck the life out of any well to do area there.
I am not going to argue your personal opinions but Newark does not take the life out of Essex County. Yes the eastern side has these towns but it has some of the best towns in the state as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,576 posts, read 3,224,269 times
Reputation: 2028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I am not going to argue your personal opinions but Newark does not take the life out of Essex County. Yes the eastern side has these towns but it has some of the best towns in the state as well.
This guys North Jersey hate is well recognized. I wouldn't stress if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,688 posts, read 21,315,875 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I grew up in Bergen County, and was at least fifth generation in my town there. However, it's not the same place I grew up in. When I was a kid, northwest Bergen was still semi-rural. People weren't as materialistic, and we didn't even have traffic lights in town yet. We had lots of woods to play in and pet chickens in the yard and the people behind us had horses. Now it's overpriced houses and people trying to outdo one another with what they've got and housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUVs and not watching where they're driving. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you.

Now I live in southern Monmouth County. It's quieter here and people don't seem as obsessed with what everyone else is doing.

I lived in Passaic County for about ten years, too. West Paterson, which was a nice little town.
isn't it funny how whoelsebutcharles claims monmouth county is exactly like where you left in bergen? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
 
3,874 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Reputation: 2667
Sussex County - one foot in Pennsyl-tucky, the other in the 1970s. And boring as hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 1,565,583 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sussex County - one foot in Pennsyl-tucky, the other in the 1970s. And boring as hell
I could see where you're coming from on that. It is a beautiful picture-esque area but does seem like it is in the middle of nowhere and very difficult to get to. But in that case let's hope it stays as undeveloped as it is now and doesn't become "suburbanized".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: North Brunswick
877 posts, read 1,565,583 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
isn't it funny how whoelsebutcharles claims monmouth county is exactly like where you left in bergen? LOL
Because it is. That person lives in the Eatontown area which is not that yuppified yet.

More and more I think you have something against me. Since you like to either oppose or question every statement I make on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
 
110 posts, read 259,404 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Best:
Burlington - Pine Barrens, Philly Metro Area very promising for the future, lots of open space
Ocean - Pine Barrens, some of the state's most beautiful beaches (Island Beach State Park)
Sussex - Lakes and Mountains, beautiful "getaway" scenery
Middlesex - "Heart of NJ" Central location to everything, instant access to major highways, top schools, New Brunswick nightlife.

Worst:
Hudson - Ultra-busy, mostly outright ugly, roads confusing as hell.
Bergen - Ditto, NYC preppiness, overpriced.
Monmouth - Pretentious desolate suburban wasteland full of high class yuppies or wannabes who live on credit.
Essex - Newark elements suck the life out of any well to do area there.
Not going to comment on the rest of your lists, but I just can't see how Middlesex is one of the best and Monmouth one of the worst. Monmouth has many beautiful areas and beaches plus it has Red Bank which has nightlife on par with New Brunswick. I'm sure nobody in middlesex uses credit huh? LOL! And not really sure what top schools you're referring to, but I can't think of many in middlesex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top