Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM

250 posts, read 562,928 times

Advertisements

Essex,Bergen, Burlington,Camden,Hudson, and Monmouth are good counties. Best and worst counties does not exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I grew up in Bergen County, and was at least fifth generation in my town there. However, it's not the same place I grew up in. When I was a kid, northwest Bergen was still semi-rural. People weren't as materialistic, and we didn't even have traffic lights in town yet. We had lots of woods to play in and pet chickens in the yard and the people behind us had horses. Now it's overpriced houses and people trying to outdo one another with what they've got and housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUVs and not watching where they're driving. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you.

Now I live in southern Monmouth County. It's quieter here and people don't seem as obsessed with what everyone else is doing.

I lived in Passaic County for about ten years, too. West Paterson, which was a nice little town.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Best:
Burlington - Pine Barrens, Philly Metro Area very promising for the future, lots of open space
Ocean - Pine Barrens, some of the state's most beautiful beaches (Island Beach State Park)
Sussex - Lakes and Mountains, beautiful "getaway" scenery
Middlesex - "Heart of NJ" Central location to everything, instant access to major highways, top schools, New Brunswick nightlife.

Worst:
Hudson - Ultra-busy, mostly outright ugly, roads confusing as hell.
Bergen - Ditto, NYC preppiness, overpriced.
Monmouth - Pretentious desolate suburban wasteland full of high class yuppies or wannabes who live on credit.
Essex - Newark elements suck the life out of any well to do area there.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 AM

728 posts, read 1,964,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Best:
Burlington - Pine Barrens, Philly Metro Area very promising for the future, lots of open space
Ocean - Pine Barrens, some of the state's most beautiful beaches (Island Beach State Park)
Middlesex - "Heart of NJ" Central location to everything, instant access to major highways, top schools, New Brunswick nightlife.

Worst:
Monmouth - Pretentious desolate suburban wasteland full of high class yuppies or wannabes who live on credit.
I am not going to argue your personal opinions but Newark does not take the life out of Essex County. Yes the eastern side has these towns but it has some of the best towns in the state as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I am not going to argue your personal opinions but Newark does not take the life out of Essex County. Yes the eastern side has these towns but it has some of the best towns in the state as well.
This guys North Jersey hate is well recognized. I wouldn't stress if I were you.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I grew up in Bergen County, and was at least fifth generation in my town there. However, it's not the same place I grew up in. When I was a kid, northwest Bergen was still semi-rural. People weren't as materialistic, and we didn't even have traffic lights in town yet. We had lots of woods to play in and pet chickens in the yard and the people behind us had horses. Now it's overpriced houses and people trying to outdo one another with what they've got and housewives running around talking on cell phones in their SUVs and not watching where they're driving. If your yard has too many dandelions, let alone outdoor pets, your neighbors will call borough hall and report you.

Now I live in southern Monmouth County. It's quieter here and people don't seem as obsessed with what everyone else is doing.

I lived in Passaic County for about ten years, too. West Paterson, which was a nice little town.
isn't it funny how whoelsebutcharles claims monmouth county is exactly like where you left in bergen? LOL

Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Sussex County - one foot in Pennsyl-tucky, the other in the 1970s. And boring as hell

Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sussex County - one foot in Pennsyl-tucky, the other in the 1970s. And boring as hell
I could see where you're coming from on that. It is a beautiful picture-esque area but does seem like it is in the middle of nowhere and very difficult to get to. But in that case let's hope it stays as undeveloped as it is now and doesn't become "suburbanized".

Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
isn't it funny how whoelsebutcharles claims monmouth county is exactly like where you left in bergen? LOL
Because it is. That person lives in the Eatontown area which is not that yuppified yet.

More and more I think you have something against me. Since you like to either oppose or question every statement I make on this board.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM

111 posts, read 416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Best:

Worst:
Not going to comment on the rest of your lists, but I just can't see how Middlesex is one of the best and Monmouth one of the worst. Monmouth has many beautiful areas and beaches plus it has Red Bank which has nightlife on par with New Brunswick. I'm sure nobody in middlesex uses credit huh? LOL! And not really sure what top schools you're referring to, but I can't think of many in middlesex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey