Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Camden County, and I enjoyed it's proximity to Philadelphia (a city I love and eventually moved to). I would say the best towns in that area are Haddonfield, Westmont, and Collingswood.

I went to Montclair State and lived there in Essex County, and I think Essex (or at least what I saw of it) was very scenic, if a bit congested traffic-wise. I had a gorgeous view of the NYC skyline from my dorm room window, in fact...speaking of which, the commute into the city was quick and easy (I eventually lived there for awhile, too). Much more hilly than South Jersey.

I was not crazy about Bergen County when I lived there, just seemed to be a lot of factories and strip malls...maybe I lived on the wrong side of town, LOL.

Now I am in Cape May County, and I LOVE it more than any other county in NJ that I lived in. Close to the beach, relatively friendly people, scenic (of course), and a nice range from working class neighborhoods, to the beautiful mansions of Cape May. I may not have enjoyed the area as much in my college years, when I was all about the clubs and partying (although there is Wildwood), but since I got kind of sick of being right in the heart of more urban areas, this is perfect...to me, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I grew up in Camden County, and I enjoyed it's proximity to Philadelphia (a city I love and eventually moved to). I would say the best towns in that area are Haddonfield, Westmont, and Collingswood.

I went to Montclair State and lived there in Essex County, and I think Essex (or at least what I saw of it) was very scenic, if a bit congested traffic-wise. I had a gorgeous view of the NYC skyline from my dorm room window, in fact...speaking of which, the commute into the city was quick and easy (I eventually lived there for awhile, too). Much more hilly than South Jersey.

I was not crazy about Bergen County when I lived there, just seemed to be a lot of factories and strip malls...maybe I lived on the wrong side of town, LOL.

Now I am in Cape May County, and I LOVE it more than any other county in NJ that I lived in. Close to the beach, relatively friendly people, scenic (of course), and a nice range from working class neighborhoods, to the beautiful mansions of Cape May. I may not have enjoyed the area as much in my college years, when I was all about the clubs and partying (although there is Wildwood), but since I got kind of sick of being right in the heart of more urban areas, this is perfect...to me, at least.
Bohn Hall, eh?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
HAHA, yes!!! Right on the nose... Did you happen to go to Montclair, as well?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Not that I've spent much time there, but I would say Cumberland and Salem Counties. Not saying this to be a jerk, but is there actually anything in those counties worth visiting?

Other than that, I am not a fan of Middlesex County at all. I can't think of one town in Middlesex County that I would want to live in. It does tend to be kind of trashy, as somebody mentioned earlier.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Sussex and Warren are the best imo. I wouldn't live anywhere else in NJ

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Sussex and Warren are the best imo. I wouldn't live anywhere else in NJ
I couldn't agree more : )))) But please stop telling people about our paradise out here in the country...we don't want anymore transplants!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I couldn't agree more : )))) But please stop telling people about our paradise out here in the country...we don't want anymore transplants!!!
I agree, don't people know about all the trees and gypsy moths or bears & deer crossing the roads and oh my we don't have any shops or restaurants either, no night life, just critters & creatures at night...stay away you hear??...stay away from warren & sussex county.....y'all been warned ::::loading shotgun:::

Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I agree, don't people know about all the trees and gypsy moths or bears & deer crossing the roads and oh my we don't have any shops or restaurants either, no night life, just critters & creatures at night...stay away you hear??...stay away from warren & sussex county.....y'all been warned ::::loading shotgun:::
LOL you are a nut! By the way, how was your road trip yesterday?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
LOL you are a nut! By the way, how was your road trip yesterday?
Crazy like a fox my son and I did the road trip and it was ummmm "ok"...I was a bit dissapointed w/ Fredon Markboro Rd, perhaps it was the time of day we left but we didnt' see that many horses out and the one's that were out were not near any fences so we couldn't pet them, we then had lunch at a BBQ place I can't remember if it was Hope or Blairstown but it's on 94 and there were a lot of people so it must be a popular place, went down to Clinton and saw Beaverbrook homestead and it brought back many memories. Didn't get a chance to go to Mansfield (son was tired) but you're right the home was in Port Murray right by the small bridge near the fire station. I wonder how it looks today.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Chill Jethro lol..............How was that barbecue place that sounds good.....trying to think where it was.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey