U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:03 PM

210 posts, read 1,046,038 times

Advertisements

I've lived in three, Essex, Middlesex, and Somerset.

Essex pros: Close to NYC, good Italian food
Essex cons: Close to Newark, racial divide between east and west

Middlesex pros: Close to the shore, was happiest there
Middlesex cons: none really

Somerset pros: Richest NJ county per capita
Somerset cons: Further from NYC and the shore

What's your favorite NJ country? Lease favorite?

Last edited by Miami305Kid; 07-05-2008 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 PM

45 posts, read 185,277 times
My favorite county is by far Monmouth County...I grew up there so it may be a sense of nostalgia, but I just think it's a really great county. Aside from places like Asbury Park and Keansburg, most of the towns are all very nice, and it contains IMO some of the nicest towns in all of NJ - Holmdel, Marlboro, Rumson, Colts Neck, and Manalapan. Plus, it's close to everything - right next to the shore and not far from NYC and Philly. I also like how, although there are a lot of people living there, it still manages to have a lot of open space and maintain a "rural suburb" character. I live in Middlesex County now, and although I love the town I'm in (Metuchen) and I think the county is nice as a whole, it's becoming more and more crowded each year.

The worst county? I've never been a fan of Cumberland County...just isn't much there.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM

517 posts, read 1,631,280 times
Smile Best County ...

I don't know about the worst because I haven't been to most counties yet.

The best I have found so far is where I live : Monmouth County.

I love the open space and convenience to the shore, north Jersey, etc.
I used to live in Union County but have not been this happy until I moved here. This is affordable, calm and the people are so friendly. I just hope it doesn't change.

M

Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM

27 posts, read 135,083 times
Monmouth County is the best county, and southern Monmouth County is one of the best places in the country to live. You have farms, the shore, open space, a ferry that goes to NYC and northern NJ and you are near great beaches--Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Manasquan, Belmar, Point Pleasant, and Bay Head. You also have great schools and lower taxes. Bergen County is the worst. High taxes, horrible schools, corrupt liberal politicians that raise your taxes over and over, and bad neighborhoods like Hasckensack,Lodi, and Garfield.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:15 AM

646 posts, read 2,383,441 times
Best hard to pick,

Tie...Monmouth and Essex

Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 AM

10,425 posts, read 43,523,011 times
I spent 38 years in Middlesex, Morris and Somerset but I did get around. With that I will vote a tie for the best with Monmouth, Sussex and Ocean. Even Atlantic still has lots of shoreline and some nice shore towns.

Sussex has so many lakes and I might just lean on it as my favorite. High Point St Pk is such a nice area.

The worst? Anything near that cesspool NYC. Those counties that are so jamb packed with people. Those counties that Hagstrom Maps cant even print the street name on the street but instead put a number which you have to go to the legend to locate your street. Bergen, Hudson, Essex and even Union.

The dumpiest? Union.

The one you feel most like your not in NJ anymore? Hunterdon. Some of Warren too, especially way west Warren is real nice.

The only one I know nothing about? Salem. Who goes out that direction anyway?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 53,624 times
I have lived in Sussex county- Sparta and now Wantage and I have to vote for Sussex as being a beautiful place. Lakes, miles of farmland and rolling fields, woodsy and wildlife aplenty.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM

517 posts, read 1,631,280 times
Don't get me wrong- Union County is not bad- depends on where you live.
Union has towns like: Kenilworth, Cranford, Scotch Plains and Westfield (one of the best towns in the country).
But, I wasn't fortunate to have the money to live in either of these so I can't say from experience. If you can afford any of these town then you would be really happy there.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,786,496 times
Union County isn't just Elizabeth. It has Cranford, Westfield, Springfield, Mountainside, New Providence and Summit. Towns that most of the people posting here will never afford to live in. So please, stop with all the hate on Union County to justify the fact that you can't afford to live here. Western Union County is better than anyplace in Middlesex and Monmouth counties (with the possible exception of Rumson and Spring Lake).

Middlesex County: White trash galore.

Monmouth County: Transplanted Brooklynites and people who are now commuting an hour longer because they can't afford to live closer to NYC.

Western Union County: If you don't live in Rumson or Spring Lake, please don't criticize because Cranford, Westfield, Springfield, Mountainside, New Providence and Summit is likely better than any town you live in.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,121,633 times
Warrren
Sussex
Hunterdon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or