Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'm beginning to think that the Sewage company made a mistake all this time. My monthly water bill is around $70 bucks a month, but my sewage bill is roughly $300 a quarter which is about $100 a month.

I live in an apartment with my wife. Our water usage is relatively light considering we only shower, wash dishes, and clothes.

I want to know how much people are paying for their sewage and water bill. Pls advise so that I know whether its something I should pursue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:19 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon364 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm beginning to think that the Sewage company made a mistake all this time. My monthly water bill is around $70 bucks a month, but my sewage bill is roughly $300 a quarter which is about $100 a month.
To me, even that water bill sounds VERY high.
I just paid my water bill for the September through December quarter, and it was $73.65--for three months. The previous quarter, it was ~$68.00 for three months. I don't have my sewer billing records in front of me right now, but my recollection is that I pay a roughly similar amount for sewer service every three months.

I live in Central NJ, on a 2/3 acre lot, and do a lot of gardening--with a lot of resultant watering. Since I pay about the same amount of money for three months of water service that you pay for one month of service (but with a much lower volume of water than I use), then I would say that something is seriously wrong with the amount that you are being billed.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
I pay about $40-$50 a month for water for two people (one of whom is shower-obsessed). I pay my sewer biannually and I think it works out to ~$450 a year for 2 bathrooms. I'm in Middlesex County in the Piscataway/Edison area.

It might help if you narrowed it down to the town, instead of county. Every town is different.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon364 View Post
Hi Guys,

I live in an apartment with my wife. Our water usage is relatively light considering we only shower, wash dishes, and clothes.

I want to know how much people are paying for their sewage and water bill. Pls advise so that I know whether its something I should pursue.
How many apartments in your building? For water you might be paying for the entire building. Mine comes out to be about $10/person/month in Union County

Sewage in my town is a fixed about per house. But they do not charge the entire amount since it use to be included in taxes but since they couldnt raise taxes anymore they added a surcharge.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:09 PM

I just got my sewer bill, and it is $68.75 every 3 months. So, for both water and sewer service, I pay less than $140 per quarter, or ~$46.00 per month for both services.

If the OP is really paying ~$170 per month for both services, I think that there is something very much wrong with the billing, and I would suggest that the OP make an appointment to sit down with the person or persons who supervise those utilities.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:09 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Rate can be sky-high in Hudson county - there's a real chance this is legit, not a billing error. No harm in checking though.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Rate can be sky-high in Hudson county - there's a real chance this is legit, not a billing error.
You may be correct.

However, when my parents--who lived in Bayonne--became very elderly, my brother and I began handling their bills for them, and I don't recall any major difference between what we paid for their sewer and water bills vs what I paid for the same services in Somerset County.

Of course, that was over 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but if the "legitimate" charges for water and sewer services are more than 3 times higher in Hudson County than in my neck of the woods, I have to wonder about all of the factors driving that type of price disparity.

If those rates are indeed accurate, I question whether the term "legitimate" can reasonably be applied.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,975 times
Wow, same problem with me.
I live in West New York, NJ. I just got a sewage bill for $300+ for last quarter. First time getting the sewage bill, some mix up with the water company because the apt building is new. My water bill's usually around $50 a month.
Quick question guys, if my lease says I have to pay for "water" does that include swage also?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,407,951 times
On your water bill
How much actual water in gallons (or another unit) was bill for.

Any extra infrastructure costs?

Talking about a total bill is useless without knowing the volume and rate you are paying for.
My neighbor had a leak in their pool, ran his garden hose constantly to keep it full and wondered why his water bill was more than mine. (Duh)

My sewer bill is $400/year

Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 21,975 times
boater1,

they're charging based on 42 gallons (say on the bill) of water used in three months. But they're charging me for next three month based on their estimate.
I live in a mid-rise apartment, total of 32 units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey