Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,244,996 times

Advertisements

Linden has about 30,000 people living in it. Cranford (where I grew up) has about 22,000. Therefore, Linden is a suburb.

Granted, I think it's grimey and dumpy. But no part of Linden screams city to me. The houses are mostly single family capes, with front and back yards. I see that, and I think suburb.

When I think city, I think rowhomes, high-rises, and little if any backyard space.

Linden may be run down, but it's not an urban environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVEAWAYFAST!!! View Post
please listen to what I'm about to tell you, DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN

Been there, done that

The realtor drove around Roselle so my husband and I didn't know how close we lived to a bad area until about a week after buying the house. We felt cheated, I wish I knew about city data before I bought the house.

It's a scary place to live, I lived in Sunyside the best area of linden, but you don't live in your house 24 hours a day. The schools are horrible!! Low income housing everywhere, so unless you are a single man, living alone DO NOT MOVE TO LINDEN!!!
Yea Linden is horrible, comparible to Camden. Thugs cursing outside ur window all night, drivebys at Pathmark, rats on the municipal buildings porch, several cases of police raping women, robberies and car jackings at the banks, lootings in town, Cubans etc. Stay away from Linden.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:49 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,647,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Yea Linden is horrible, comparible to Camden.
?????????????

In no way, shape, or form is Linden comparable to Camden.

And tommy, your numbers are off - Linden had about 40k people as of 2000.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 AM

526 posts, read 2,063,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Linden has about 30,000 people living in it. Cranford (where I grew up) has about 22,000. Therefore, Linden is a suburb.

Granted, I think it's grimey and dumpy. But no part of Linden screams city to me. The houses are mostly single family capes, with front and back yards. I see that, and I think suburb.

When I think city, I think rowhomes, high-rises, and little if any backyard space.

Linden may be run down, but it's not an urban environment.
Okay, you and I obviously have different definitions of a suburb. To me, a suburb is a smaller town, no more than 30 minutes from a major city, with walkable downtowns and good schools. To me, Cranford fits that definition ... not Linden. I would characterize Linden as an "urban town," but not a "suburb."

Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 AM

148 posts, read 638,360 times
Default WOW linden is not the hood

I have lived in linden for about 8 or 9 years (moved here as a junior in high school) and uh its def not the ghetto, lol, nor is it a westfield. Whoever called it a blue collar town nailed it. I think its a place where a hard working kinda low income family could get a nice deal, which is scarce now... but im from newark and moving to jersey city so uh im used to worse

Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
?????????????

In no way, shape, or form is Linden comparable to Camden.

And tommy, your numbers are off - Linden had about 40k people as of 2000.
it was a joke. notice how I used the word cuban

Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,348,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
it was a joke. notice how I used the word cuban
Hard to guess it was a joke since there is nothing funny about rape, looting or car jacking. Plus this person is here asking for advice not your debut on the comedy circuit.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 AM

E-town, so what would you call Springfield, NJ...urban town or suburb?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM

526 posts, read 2,063,737 times
Of course Springfield’s a suburb.

You’re not really comparing Linden to Springfield, right?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

I, too, think Springfield is a suburb, but Springfield doesn't totally fit into your description of a suburb..."suburb is a smaller town, no more than 30 minutes from a major city, with walkable downtowns and good schools"

There are gray areas....suburbs that are more city-ish, but are still suburbs. What about Secaucus? Harrison?` Fort Lee?

Maybe we have different views on what an urban environment is. But when I drive through Linden (I used to, every day), I see a lot of areas with big green lawns and Cape Cod houses. That's the 'burbs, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey