U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,544,508 times

Advertisements

Ok, despite some leftover ankle annoyances, I managed to finish up my mini-project this morning.

Its 4th of July weekend! Fireworks, barbecues, flags flying.... err... wait. Mine wasn't. As I mentioned in another thread about flags, my flagpole is an odd size, its a bit larger, commercial and high end type. It was donated by my dad to me, and while a great flagpole and flag, he couldn't find the mount.

Since its a bit larger than normal, I decided to instead make one. This weekend was the perfect time to get the job done.

To start off, I did a bit of planning, and decided on a 4" x 4" x 3.5" (column width on the porch) mounting block. To hold the pole, I stopped in the plumbing section, and picked up a 1-1/4" flange and a 4" nipple.

So, starting off with some 1/2" plywood, I cut 3-1/2" strips (using leftovers from making some quick shelves) a little longer than my end result so I could get a nice smooth end when I cut it. After, I glue the pieces together, clamped nicely.

To brace the mount to the column, I want to use construction adhesive; but I didn't want it to be the only connection. I wanted something to keep the mount stable while the adhesive dried, and giving it just a bit of extra support. So, I pulled out my trusty kreg pocket-hole ***, and prepped two pocket holes before sending this off to be painted (ie: to the side until I had my paint at the ready).

Next up, the plumbing flange and nipple. I didn't want to stick it outside as just a flange and nipple, even painted, I wanted to disguise it - but not fully. If you look up close and can see what it is, it just feels more rustic (read: appropriate and easier), which works with the paint job (done just like the exterior light). So, I did a little sculpting... with caulk. Caulk works well because many exterior caulks are paintable, and you can really mess with the surface of it alot. You can make it messy, smooth, or any combination.

Afterwards, I painted the mounting block ultra pure white, and the flange as well in primer, then hammered copper, with dark brown misted over it before it dried fully, to get just the right blend I got previously.

Then, its as easy as mounting the sucker up, and sticking my flag on in!

On the to-do list... the paint color for some of the trim (dark blue to become an accent piece) will become the color I use when painting a simple eagle outline on the side of the mount. As I don't have the paint yet, I'll just do it in place a little later.

So, there it is, the 4th of July Weekend mini-project at the CuCullin household
Attached Thumbnails
CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0524-resized.jpg   CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0546-resized.jpg   CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0531-resized.jpg   CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0535-resized.jpg   CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0545-resized.jpg  

CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0548-resized.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Doh! Forgot one picture...
Attached Thumbnails
CuCullin's 4th of July Mini-Project...-img_0558-resized.jpg  

Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,008,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Boy, you are a boy wonder Cu!! It's absolutely beautiful!!

As always, God bless America!!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Oh, almost forgot - the other to-do list item is a shelf bracket for underneath the mount block. I'm going to use another similar bracket on the other side of the porch, and do something decorative; who the hell knows what, I haven't thought that part out just yet.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Oh, almost forgot - the other to-do list item is a shelf bracket for underneath the mount block. I'm going to use another similar bracket on the other side of the porch, and do something decorative; who the hell knows what, I haven't thought that part out just yet.
How bout an eagle? Don't ask me how... Anyway, you are Cu and you will know how.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,084,452 times
Quote:
Looks really nice Joe........another well done project, pretty soon you will have your own show as I previously stated!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
How bout an eagle? Don't ask me how... Anyway, you are Cu and you will know how.
An eagle would be cool... interesting idea, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Looks really nice Joe........another well done project, pretty soon you will have your own show as I previously stated!
Thanks

Now if I could just get my gf to figure out what to do with her last few boxes, I could get the dining room finished off....

Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
An eagle would be cool... interesting idea, thanks

Thanks

Now if I could just get my gf to figure out what to do with her last few boxes, I could get the dining room finished off....
That's what the basement is for... put all the junk you don't know what do with there. All else fails, have a corner for your future garage sale items.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
That's what the basement is for... put all the junk you don't know what do with there. All else fails, have a corner for your future garage sale items.
Nah, she needs to decide before I move it anywhere - if it doesn't have a room assignment, it gets a curb assignment

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Wow, you sound like a husband...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey