U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a roomate to get an appt with near kean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 11,830 times
Search Craigslist.org for apt/housing. Search on Kean University or Union, Hillside, or Elizabeth. Many people are renting out their homes these days because they can't sell.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,495 times
Furnished apartment-style living coveniently located to Kean University. Visit: Cranford New Jersey Hotels | Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cranford Hotel. Call us for more details @ 908-709-1980.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:41 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,783,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctodd111 View Post
I am looking for *SAFE* housing for my 21 year old daughter near Kean University in Union. She found a private dormitory in Newark called University Centre. She would need to commute to Kean via NJ Transit from, I assume, the Norfolk St. station. Is anyone familiar with University Centre and/or this area and is the walk from University Centre to the rail station a dangerous one? Some of her classes are in the evening, so she would be regularly walking home from the station after dark. Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Also, if anyone is familiar with the off-campus housing options within walking distance of Kean University, I would welcome any advice.
I live in University Centre Apartments in Newark. I've been out late around the area and I've never had a problem. She would get on the light rail at Warren St (that way she can get the downtown fair for .65 instead of $1.35). The walk from here to Warren St station is safe. It's right along NJIT campus and the police dept is right there. NJIT soccer stadium is right there too and it's always lit up, it lights up the whole street between U-Centre and Warren St. station. It's safe there 24 hours a day. It's about as safe as you can get in NWK. I've lived here for a year now and I love it.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,783,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I would not consider it safe for her. What about a dorm at Kean? There's probably off campus housing as well.
Have you ever been to University Heights? I live in the University Centre apts and walk back from the Warren Street station all the time at all times of the day and night and I've never had a problem or felt unsafe. The neighborhood around U Heights, NJIT and Rutgers-Newark is probably safer than a lot if not most neighborhoods in Elizabeth.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM

248 posts, read 479,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Have you ever been to University Heights? I live in the University Centre apts and walk back from the Warren Street station all the time at all times of the day and night and I've never had a problem or felt unsafe. The neighborhood around U Heights, NJIT and Rutgers-Newark is probably safer than a lot if not most neighborhoods in Elizabeth.

Well said! University Heights is very safe and there is no need to entertain fears. I bet most ney sayers have never been to Newark before. Take a ride there and have a feel of the city. Yes you would see some negativity but what do expect for a city of its size? There are good places in Newark and that must be acknowledged.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 PM

16 posts, read 56,044 times
I second what twista6002 said. I went to school at Rutgers Newark and had a few friends who lived in University Centre. The building itself is completely safe (security + gated entrance). As long as she isn't walking west of Norfolk she'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey