Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times

Advertisements

I agree Jest. I consider most to be boobs. My definition of that is ...if I as a lay person on a topic know as much or more than the "experts" do...then that person is a boob. I'm presently in my 6th home and only once did I not meet up with a "boob".

My experience says they bring little to nothing to the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,513 times
I should also add that with the internet, every resource that realtors used to monopolize is available to the public. You can get a CMA, list your home, post an add, etc. I think realtors belong to a fading profession. The information gap is quickly dissolving.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 AM

The days of "Ignore that man behind the curtain" are gone...but it may take awhile for the masses to figure it out. Car salesmen are having to contend with folks who've discovered Edmunds.com or similiar sites. The MSM is already at the obvious state of reduced readership. The Dan Blathers of the world have been exposed for the agenda driven phonies they are. Experts who are "experts" only because of privledged information are not long for this brave new world.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:45 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Wink Right On!!

I agree with JBrown & Jest !! Right On ! You both hit the Nail On The Head.
Personally, I have bought & sold a few homes & investment props. It's not brain surgery. At the time, I was unable to put one more thing on my plate, but I would have done a stellar job selling them myself. LOL..

Like you both stated, it's easy access to internet. Get yourself a MLS, A good Attorney & a reputable Title Co.
Yes, you can DIY. Many people are too scared (of the unknown) and don't want to try something new. Plus they listen to the Wizard of Oz "Man or Woman Behind the Curtain" LOL -very funny- I loved that analogy because it's so true. I love hearing Realtors tell folks about how much they "need" them. Makes me laugh. Realtors & Car Sales;With reports & information found on Consumers Reports, we are needing their services less & less. Buying a new auto or a new home. Research it yourself. Try a litle DIY I do.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I wonder if this could work.

List your home with any of the large national realtor groups and insist on NO MUlTIPLE listing. This way the listing broker gets zero commision unless they actually sell your home.

Way too many brokers take a listing and then wait till some other realtor does all the showing and leg work and then collects one half of the commision. Ok so they pay for the listing fee and maybe a newspaper add once in a while but mostly they just sit back and wait for somebody else to sell your home.

The only real selling most listing brokers do is selling you on their service.

How many times have you seen the listing broker actually showing your home?

OK realtors let me have it.

E
My listing realty company has not showed my home to anyone ever. And it's been 1 yr. Honestly, when I expire in March, I think I'm going with a smaller realty company that takes less% and gives more to the buyer's agent. Since currently I'm offering a 5% split, with the switch it would be 1.9% to listing agent and I was gonna go 3.5% to the buyer's agent. They offer the same service's I'm getting now, Realtor.com, virtual tour, magazine ads) What do you think???????????????????????

Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeForSale View Post

Like you both stated, it's easy access to internet. Get yourself a MLS, A good Attorney & a reputable Title Co.
Yes, you can DIY.
Please, let's take the attorney out of the equation if we want to truly get to the bare bones required to buy or sell real estate. When I lived in Las Vegas, there were no attorneys involved in real estate transactions- the title company handled everything.

Need to ask the seller a question? You call them. Here in NJ, you call your attorney, who sends the sellers attorney a letter, he replies in writing, your attorney sends you the response, and five days later you have an incomplete answer to the wrong question, since your attorney botched it all up.

I've never seen more straightforward, simple real estate transactions turned into absolute disasters by having two attorneys involved. Sure, if it's a complex transaction you may need one, or maybe you have them review your contract for any issues, but why they stay involved until the end of the process is absolutely beyond me.

Bob

Old 01-22-2007, 10:56 AM

BobK has a good point.
I've bought and sold a few properties (both developed and non) without any attorneys holding my hand during the entire process. Since so much of what goes on with everyday legal matters is boiler plate text it makes no sense. I've had contracts reviewed and once was given a pharagraph and told if XYZ add this text, otherwise you're good to go. I'll gladly pay for that sort of to the point advise, but usually they just muck up a simple situation.

NewHomeForSale... If you liked the Wizard of Oz thing you'll luv this....I'm LOL as I think of the possibilities..... as per English Composition 101

Compare and Contrast:

A seller , a realtor, and a buyer..... versus...a john, a pimp, and a hooker

discuss amongst yourselves...

Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 AM

I have a question for any realtors left on this thread. What is your industry doing to combat the current trends? My personal opinion is not very positive about realtors as a whole, but an industry with as much clout as yours must certainly be taking steps to preserve themselves. I know that realtors have one of the largest lobbying groups in the country, so I would like to know what you realtors think the future is.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM

604 posts, read 2,914,466 times
Jest, Is this what you are talking about?

http://flatfeelisting.com/newjersey.htm (broken link)

Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Something like that, but some of those extras are just fluff. You could probably negiotiate them down and get rid of some of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: