U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM

34 posts, read 192,288 times

Advertisements

We are interested in communities in West Windsor.
Especially those community in the other side of Rt. 1, back to the D & R river.
Next to princeton country club.
more specifically, they are Princeton greens and Canal pointe.

By searching old posts, canal pointe is a lovely community.
But it is right next to the river.
I am wondering where could I get flood data?
I tried FEMA, but it is difficult to co-localize the community and the flood zone.
Is the west windsor township a right place to call and ask?

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM

2,741 posts, read 6,982,275 times
The Canal does overflow it's banks on occasion in West Windsor but I don't know that it is the cause of home flooding. It has caused the 15-17 hole of the very low lying golf course to be somewhat marshy and will spill into a few of the streets, (around Port Mercer/Provinceline Rd).
A lot of West Windsor is low lying but most of the water problems are from rising ground water not flooding (ground water leaching into basements).

You can try and wend your way though this site...I got to page 3 and totally lost interest...............
Flood Mitigation Planning: Flood Insurance Claims in the Planning Area

If you are slab on grade you should be fine, if you have a basement you might want to look into a sump pump.

To be sure call the township engineering dept. (609) 799-2400.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 PM

34 posts, read 192,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The Canal does overflow it's banks on occasion in West Windsor but I don't know that it is the cause of home flooding. It has caused the 15-17 hole of the very low lying golf course to be somewhat marshy and will spill into a few of the streets, (around Port Mercer/Provinceline Rd).
A lot of West Windsor is low lying but most of the water problems are from rising ground water not flooding (ground water leaching into basements).

You can try and wend your way though this site...I got to page 3 and totally lost interest...............
Flood Mitigation Planning: Flood Insurance Claims in the Planning Area

If you are slab on grade you should be fine, if you have a basement you might want to look into a sump pump.

To be sure call the township engineering dept. (609) 799-2400.
Thank you for your information.
I do call the princeton country club. They told me there is flood sometimes,
but it goes away fast.
I also checked canal pointe in person today.
It looks like the whole base of the community is elevated.
It erases a lot of my concern. But still not 100% relax.
I will call the township ASAP.

And ma i ask where is page 3? all i found is single page PDF file.
Thanks!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 PM

2,741 posts, read 6,982,275 times
Try this..........

http://www.state.nj.us/drbc/Flood_Website/NJmitigation/FloodInsuranceStudy.pdf (broken link)

Scroll down to Mercer Co. West Windsor.

I'm pretty sure you won't be flooded in the Canal Point subdivision.

Call the township to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or