U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM

792 posts, read 2,739,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Alright im only 16, but i love my city i always been livin in, Hackensack, but i wonder if when i leave to college in Newark (rutgers) i know i would have to leave Hackensack.
You are a fellow south-bergenite i see.

Quote:
So i know i would NOT want to live in Newark, but i know people in Bayonne who say its good and has great rent in that specific area.
Did you consider maybe moving to Kearny/North Arlington or staying in Hackensack and using mass transit to Rutgers Newark campus (i.e. Bus #76 or the trains/light rail system)?

Quote:
But when you grow up and have a family and gain money do you have a desire to go back to your hometown and live there again?
It all depends. Some folks do go back to the nest, others perhaps elsewhere on the I-95 corridor (New England, Philly, MD) within a 3 hr. drive to "home", others may go further away (FL, CO, CA).

Quote:
Just a thought, because my whole life is here, and i dont care what you people think of hackensack. i love it.
IIRC Billy Joel mentions Hackensack in one of his songs "Movin' Out", go listen to it. Good song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 AM

7,068 posts, read 10,821,088 times
I grew up in Brick Township and continued to live there for a few years after I was married. However, I was fortunate to discover that the benefits of moving out of state outweighed the positives of continuing to live in NJ. My entire family has moved out of NJ, so most of the ties have been broken. I miss the area at times and seeing my old friends, but I have been able to provide a wonderful life for my family in our new locale. So no, I don't ever see myself moving back to Brick or anywhere in the Northeast again.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
I lived in Jersey City for over 35 years. I knew ALL the neighbors on my block and many from the surrounding areas. Good people. My heart is in JC. Would I move back NO. Been there and done that. Great to visit though on a daily basis.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM

56 posts, read 180,589 times
Salem County born and raised and luckily my hometown has remained largely the same as when I was a child. While I'm no longer in that specific town, I'm only about ten miles up the road. I'm a simple creature... I like being out in the country, but at the same time I enjoy not being too far out from the cities, shopping, dining, etc. Unlike some friends from school who only ever wanted to move out to bigger and more exciting places... I made the conscious decision to come back and put down roots, simply because I realized early on that there really isn't any place else like it. Sure, I have many friends who never left the area, but a lot of them have stayed for completely different reasons.

There's nothing wrong with moving back.. especially if there's something special to move back to.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:10 PM

970 posts, read 3,104,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS527 View Post
My hometown is Waldwick NJ, It was a great town to grow up in, I had an awesome childhood, I am and still live in the area, but will not move back to Waldwick. Going down the Tubers. Tons and tons of illegal's are inflitrating the town. My parents are crushed, that their home values aren't going anywhere and worry about their future.
It's so weird, how can illegals afford to live there? I know many middle class people that could never pay taxes/mortgages in Waldwick. Go figure.
By the way, my hometowns are Passaic and Paterson. I don't want to move back to either long-term! But at the same time I defend them because they were my home. Never forget where you came from and always keep the good things about your hometown close to heart!

Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 2,502,159 times
I grew up in Irvington in the 50's and 60's. It was such a wonderful town then. Would I move back there? NEVER, not even with a gun.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:16 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
It's so weird, how can illegals afford to live there? I know many middle class people that could never pay taxes/mortgages in Waldwick. Go figure.
By the way, my hometowns are Passaic and Paterson. I don't want to go back! But at the same time I defend them because they were my home. Never forget where you came from and always keep the good things about your hometown close to heart.!
It's easy. 10-15 in an illegal apartment chipping in about 50 bucks a month.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 PM

970 posts, read 3,104,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
It's easy. 10-15 in an illegal apartment chipping in about 50 bucks a month.
Are there that many apartments/rentals there? Then again, I haven't spent that much time in Waldwick before. Maybe I'm confusing it with its nearby neighbors (Ho-Ho-Kus, Ridgewood, Allendale, etc.).

Old 07-20-2008, 02:33 PM

1,972 posts, read 4,817,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
By the way, my hometowns are Passaic and Paterson. I don't want to move back to either long-term! But at the same time I defend them because they were my home. Never forget where you came from and always keep the good things about your hometown close to heart!

Ah yes, Passaic, I remember those days, it's been a long time but last time I drove past it, brought tears to see the town in it's current status. My mom used to own a shop on Broadway, after school it was always a pizza then head over to my mom's and get a haircut, hit her for some $$ to go down a bit further down the road to the arcade (next to the old jewish deli behind the police station). or go down to Main ave, check the latest electronic gadgets downtown and finish it up over at DD.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,138,682 times
No way! I grew up in Highlands (Monmouth County).

I would move back to Monmouth County but only if I could afford Rumson, Little Silver, Sea Girt, Spring Lake, etc.. but I cannot afford it!

Shanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or