Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,872,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDaSack View Post
Alright im only 16, but i love my city i always been livin in, Hackensack, but i wonder if when i leave to college in Newark (rutgers) i know i would have to leave Hackensack.

So i know i would NOT want to live in Newark, but i know people in Bayonne who say its good and has great rent in that specific area. But when you grow up and have a family and gain money do you have a desire to go back to your hometown and live there again? where ever it is

Just a thought, because my whole life is here, and i dont care what you people think of hackensack. i love it.
My original home town is Matawan, NJ... and my home town for the next 17 years of my life was Colts Neck, NJ. Colts Neck had some great aspects and so did Matawan, but I wouldn't want to go back. Even if I did, I wouldn't want to pay the outrageous prices that people are asking for houses. There will always be a special place in my heart for those towns but I'm moving on and cutting my own trail through the woods of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:07 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,485,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Are there that many apartments/rentals there? Then again, I haven't spent that much time in Waldwick before. Maybe I'm confusing it with its nearby neighbors (Ho-Ho-Kus, Ridgewood, Allendale, etc.).
actually Waldwick was an Irish Blue Collar town, what happened is people bought small cape cods, and still alot of capes in Waldwick and rented them out as homes. No two family homes which is ironic but I am sure a lot of house are rentals, not too many apartment complexes, thats Park Ridge with a ton of illegal mexicans living about store fronts!!!

Waldwick actually is a GREAT buy right now, think about it!! Train , small capes, low home prices, right next to Wyckoff, Ridgewood, and Allendale and Saddle River which people do not believe me but the other side of RT 17 is a small section of Waldwick and Ho Ho Kus!! Now at 350,000 for a 3 -4 bedroom cape pretty good bet in 10 years you would be happy to sell that house!!! Now personally sometime a good deal is not for everyone, I lived in Hillsdale and would never move back to Bergen COunty. I do not work in NY, taxes are high and ITs convenient, but OVER CROWDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Bergen County thats where to GO!!!!! That or Saddle Brook are the two best deals for your money go grow like crazy in 10 years. Trust me!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,485,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
It's so weird, how can illegals afford to live there? I know many middle class people that could never pay taxes/mortgages in Waldwick. Go figure.
By the way, my hometowns are Passaic and Paterson. I don't want to move back to either long-term! But at the same time I defend them because they were my home. Never forget where you came from and always keep the good things about your hometown close to heart!
Did you know McKay's, Daves, Jimmy and Katie they lived on Waldwick ave or the famous Chris Dimmer!!! BOy that was one stoner !!!OHH i almost forgot M. Dooley, ohh the old long hair blonde too!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:34 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,238,002 times
I grew up in Norfolk, VA. The place is like Newark mixed with Mayberry, or maybe a mini-1990 Baltimore is a better simile. I still have some extended fam there, but immediate fam left while I was in college. Stagnant economy, ever-declining population, still a lot of Jim Crow baggage. The place has a lot of downtown (re)development and a new light rail transit system under construction, but it has a long way to go toward becoming a great place to live, IMO. I may not be in NJ forever, but Norfolk is not a place I can seriously see myself relocating to.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 AM

893 posts, read 2,855,144 times
Hell no. I currently live in Nassau County, Long Island and honestly I dont really like it. I plan on going to college upstate, Rutgers, UMASS or something along those lines. After that I plan on living in the city, if I ever decide to move back to the suburbs. Its definitely going to be New Jersey. Always wanted to live on the main land and have the beaches, weather, close to NYC, and other great things that Long Island has.

But I am very young (16 years old going to be a senior this year) and for all I know, I might end up in Idaho or Kansas (hopefully not) by the time im 26.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,561,189 times
Hell no for me too. I do love to go back and vist family who are too stupid to escape. When I visit I always take a whole day to drive by all my old haunts. The homes I lived in, the shore, the places I frequented, my schools etc.

But it really is nice to get out again. The memories were good growing up 35 years or so in NJ but some memories are better left as just that. Memories.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,896,754 times
Never, I grew up in Essex County. No more "rat race" for me....ever.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,005,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
actually Waldwick was an Irish Blue Collar town, what happened is people bought small cape cods, and still alot of capes in Waldwick and rented them out as homes. No two family homes which is ironic but I am sure a lot of house are rentals, not too many apartment complexes, thats Park Ridge with a ton of illegal mexicans living about store fronts!!!

Waldwick actually is a GREAT buy right now, think about it!! Train , small capes, low home prices, right next to Wyckoff, Ridgewood, and Allendale and Saddle River which people do not believe me but the other side of RT 17 is a small section of Waldwick and Ho Ho Kus!! Now at 350,000 for a 3 -4 bedroom cape pretty good bet in 10 years you would be happy to sell that house!!! Now personally sometime a good deal is not for everyone, I lived in Hillsdale and would never move back to Bergen COunty. I do not work in NY, taxes are high and ITs convenient, but OVER CROWDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like Bergen County thats where to GO!!!!! That or Saddle Brook are the two best deals for your money go grow like crazy in 10 years. Trust me!!!
I wouldn't say Waldwick is that great of a bargain. I read somewhere once that it has one of the highest property tax rates in Bergen County (I think the average was like $11,000). I will try to find the sight and post it up.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,926,088 times
I grew up mostly in Jersey City (with little stints in Union City and Bayonne, but mostly JC.) When I was growing up in the Heights it was really nice. Everyone knew everyone and the kids played out on the streets until dark. You were totally safe because everyone was sitting out on the "stoop." People passed by and talked for hours. A walk to the deli to get Milk may take 1 hr because you'd be stopping to talk along the way. It was really, really wonderful. I went to college locally and I remember once I came out and had a flat tire. Witin 10 min I had 15 men on my block helping me. My boyfriend at the time (now my husband) used to call them my "old man posse" LOL They were so dear. It was a very nice life. Maybe not the green lawn of the suburbs and no soccer moms to be found.... but it was a great way to grow up and I have never since seen such a sense of community. Back then, even the schools were really good in our neighborhod at least.

BUT fastforward and it is not what it used to be....

The areas become run down, dirty, the people living there are not the best. Our family home, which was a 2 family - we lived upstairs my grandparents down, well, there are something like 28 people living in those 2 apartments now. I don't think the windows have been cleaned since my Mom sold it in the mid 90's - it breaks my heart just to drive around there.

So while I hold the fondest memories of it - and I would love to live in a place like it once was - I certainly would not go back there now.

I have to admit though, much as life in the 'burbs is nice... I SO miss the way it was... I like sidewalks and shops and community.... not just who has the nicer lawn, better car, smarter kid.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,563,891 times
We moved alot! Ringwood to Oakridge to Budd Lake then Hackettstown..then back to Budd Lake. I guess Budd Lake (Crud Lake as we called it) would be considered my "home town". I would never, ever, ever want to move back! Dullsville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey