U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:06 PM

106 posts, read 278,313 times

Advertisements

Slightly off topic white guilt is irritating because it pops up in odd situations.

For example if I am expressing frustration over a racial incident and a white friend apologises or says "Well I didn't do it" I think wtf does that have to do with the issue at hand? And what are you apologsing for? Its just a colossal waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,660,397 times
I am glad I dont have any white guilt - my Irish ancesters were indentured servants which is a fancy name for slaves. I dont owe anything to anyone.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 PM

76 posts, read 402,362 times
Rasta, she's not expressing white guilt, she's just being unsupportive and self-absorbed IMHO.

White guilt is feeling guilty over the privileges I receive on a daily basis because I don't resemble a minority group. It's not a matter of feeling like you owe people something, just that you're actually aware of your white privilege. And if you're white, you have it, period.

I don't understand the insults or insinuations that I was "looking for people to hate Latinos with me" after the very clear posts that I am DISTURBED by my own thoughts and looking for ways to not become a racist because I was being illogical! I even updated you all with the good news that simply focusing on one old incident with a white person whenever I'm mad at my neighbors appears to be completely effective in disrupting this disordered cognitive process! Sheesh!

I think I offended the republican dude so he's just looking for ways to bash me. I mean, he's right to some extent about labels being meaningless--but only because there certainly are racist liberals. In terms of which ends of the political spectrum better support policies that are minority-friendly, well that's a no-brainer!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,415,404 times
You can be aware of your privilege w/o having so called white guilt.
What does your political party have to do with your housing situation? This is just beyond silly.

Many people are aware of their entitlement but just don't care. Others are completely clueless. In any case this socalled OP is trying to say "pat me on the back- I'm evolving-my guilt will help balance me out". Sheesh.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:28 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,960,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
You can be aware of your privilege w/o having so called white guilt.
What does your political party have to do with your housing situation? This is just beyond silly.

Many people are aware of their entitlement but just don't care. Others are completely clueless. In any case this socalled OP is trying to say "pat me on the back- I'm evolving-my guilt will help balance me out". Sheesh.
what's a "socalled OP"? seems pretty clear cut to me - either she's the OP or she's not.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:51 AM

1,972 posts, read 4,820,130 times
White guilt, original sin, sins of my father, blah blah blah all meaningless, all this about is some dude who couldn't sleep because some j/o upstairs couldn't be decent/educated enough to have respect for their neighbor and this so call dude's first reaction was to use racial terms to express his disgust and frustration. Has nothing to do w/ being liberal, democrat, republican, conservative, white, black, hispanic. At one point or another Most (but I have a good feeling that Everyone does it) we've all used less than appropiate terms to express frustration. We as humans tend to bash/fear that which we don't know, to the OP, no need to feel guilty for using terms that are less than appropiate, they were your feelings and you're allowed to have them, as many have stated before, you have choices, i.e. either approach them in a polite manner and ask them to turn it down or go Charles Bronson, Dirty Harry, Bernard Getz on their a$$ or just simply move to a more desirable place where people are more considerate of their neighbors.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 AM

622 posts, read 2,851,616 times
Is there an update to this thread? I'd like to know how something like this would have been settled.

I agree with "Call the cops". I would do that within the first hour of the second time it happened. The first time could have been a party or whatever. Let people have their fun, sort of thing. But if it happens every night, then the cops would handle it.

Did you move?

Did you hire them to mow your lawn? Ha! jk.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 AM

646 posts, read 2,384,409 times
Forget the Police,here call these people.

http://www.ice.gov/about/contact.htm (broken link)

"Calling an illegal immagrint and undocumented worker is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist"

Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 AM

4,334 posts, read 11,939,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
I am only awake right now because my upstairs neighbors are pathologically incapable of being quiet. Ever since they moved in, I have had to pound on the walls from 11 PM to 3 AM, because there is CONSTANT STOMPING, RUNNING, FURNITURE MOVING, THROWING HEAVY OBJECTS ONTO THE HARDWOOD FLOOR! At 3 AM, the TV goes on for the rest of the night. At 6 AM, I wake to the same horrible rap album being blasted for 90 minutes. I haven't slept more than 5 hours a night for months, which causes so many serious health effects and quality of life issues I won't even mention them all here. I know they hear me pound on the walls, but then 5 seconds later after pausing, they go right back to what they were doing.

The association has done nothing even though I reported it in writing two weeks ago.

Someone just threw something heavy on the floor AGAIN and started stomping around, so I pounded even LOUDER even though I know they can hear me, and I ACCIDENTALLY PUT A HOLE IN MY WALL! AHH! I just went up there at 12:30 AM right now to confront them once and for all, and every light in the apartment was on, there was a bigscreen tv going, with 7 people all awake packed in one room! That isn't even legal in a tiny two bedroom apartment (keep in mind that this is a daily/nightly pattern).

Is Mexico trying to only export the people whose IQs haven't cracked 3 digits? This is a consistent issue I have had with upstairs neighbors, because the landlord herself is an immigrant (I think illegal, though I don't know how she'd get the apartment in that case) and only rents to illegal Hispanics who are ghetto, slow learners.

I hate to say this since I am a liberal, but my experiences are so consistent I can't deny them anymore. I haven't had problems with my non-immigrant white neighbors. What happened to this formerly nice, quiet township?

I love this area, but I'll uproot if I have to. Where can I go where this isn't a problem? I live in a nice township in Monmouth County. WOW, the stomping is starting again now! Even after a visit from me! What dumb, ghetto a s s h o l e s!

Please help! Sympathy? R.I.P. Non-racist NJ K.

How do I fix this situation/avert these new racist feelings? I don't want to groan every time a new Hispanic person moves in!
MOVE! WHAT R U WAITING FOR?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,777,706 times
Our upstairs neighbors are loud, annoying, play their musical instruments too loud, and haven't listened to various pleas to quiet down.

Oh. And they are white.

you don't have horrible "mexican" neighbors. You have horrible neighbors. Move, or call the cops on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or