U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM

26 posts, read 141,889 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in North Florida and am looking to move to NJ in the next year. My 10 year old son and I are very active in tennis, and Id like it to continue after the move. In North Florida, you can pretty much play tennis year round, and the public park system provides excellent courts for next to nothing in terms of the cost.

Im not too worried about continuing tennis for myself, but would instead like my son to have the opportunity to continue to play. Hes rather competitive and Id like to avoid having his tennis suffer with the move.

I have a couple of questions for tennis players in the NJ forum:

1. Whats the duration of the tennis season in NJ for outdoor play?

2. I understand playing indoors becomes necessary during the winter months. Could you provide me with an idea as to the rates for playing indoors? Are there different (hopefully affordable!) rates for junior players?

3. Are there any good junior tennis programs you could recommend?

4. Are clay courts common in NJ? An educated guess tells me no, but I hope there are some to choose from.

Im considering moving to the Camden County area, but am open to driving to drive a distance for the right junior program.

Any club recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This forum has been extremely helpful for me in researching topics on Jersey. Looking forward to moving there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
NJ isn't a bad place to be for quality tennis. It isn't FL, but he'll be fine. I was a high school tennis coach for a few years, so I can answer most of your questions. I'm basing my responses on my experiences in Middlesex and Monmouth counties though, as I'm not familiar with Camden county.

1. In terms of how long tennis season is, you can play outdoors from March-October. NJ has wacky weather though, so there could be an occasional day during November-February where you could play outside. Also, it depends on how rugged your son is. I had a former player who trained outside year-round. If there wasn't snow on the courts, he'd be out in January. For high school, the Boys' season runs March-May (into the first weekend of June for the best players), and the Girls' season runs August-October.

2. In terms of indoors, most of the top kids play all winter at a racquet club. There are tons of leagues, drills, etc... for them. This is the site for one of the racquet clubs kids in my area would use:
East Brunswick Racquet Club
This will give you an idea for rates--these are typical.

3. Not sure about programs in Camden county, but honestly, wherever you go I'm sure you'll be able to find something relatively close.

4. I'm not familiar with many clay courts in NJ. I believe I have seen a couple, as well as grass courts, in Rumson, which is a very affluent town. Neither is even remotely typical. The only time I've recently played on clay was in Hilton Head.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM

26 posts, read 141,889 times
Thanks for your reply. It's encouraging to know that my son can continue tennis after a move to Jersey.

Just as info, some of my research turned up a club with 6 red clay courts. If you ever want to look it up, it's the Sports Club of NJ located in Mt. Laurel. The rates are suprisingly reasonable there.

Thanks again for your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey