U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,343,977 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with the school. They just did a huge renovation. Test scores, while they have improved, aren't as high as some smaller towns like Glen Ridge. The demographics are different than many of the towns with high scores. This is typical when there is only one highschool. It's really nothing to be concerned about. If your child does well, Bloomfield HS will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,949,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
There's nothing wrong with the school. They just did a huge renovation. Test scores, while they have improved, aren't as high as some smaller towns like Glen Ridge. The demographics are different than many of the towns with high scores. This is typical when there is only one highschool. It's really nothing to be concerned about. If your child does well, Bloomfield HS will be fine.
I've never heard this before - in fact, I'd say the typical "high scoring" HS' in fact are the only ones in their respective towns (montgomery, tenafly, chatham, mountain lakes, millburn, montgomery, glen ridge, livingston, westfield, summit, west morris mendham, randolph, this list goes on....)

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM

706 posts, read 878,097 times
Great, thanks. I have two children that are college bound to Universities, no thanks to Paterson school system, but Thanks to a good paying job and private school. My youngest will be a freshman and I've heard nothing but great things about bloomfield and the diversity of the area was a major plus for me and my family.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM

What I'm saying is that considering the demographics, when there is one HS, this can happen. The towns you mentioned are mostly middle to upper middle class. Bloomfield has a large blue collar population. If Bloomfield had 2 highschools, one in the north end and one in the south end (at one time they had 2 jr highs and no middle school), then you'd see higher scores for the north end school.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
Great, thanks. I have two children that are college bound to Universities, no thanks to Paterson school system, but Thanks to a good paying job and private school. My youngest will be a freshman and I've heard nothing but great things about bloomfield and the diversity of the area was a major plus for me and my family.
I think your child will do fine in BHS. It's a good school. If a kid is motivated and works hard, he/she will be OK.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 AM

253 posts, read 875,453 times
I've lived in Oakview section next to Brookdale for 26 years now. It was our "starter house" and we stayed. What strikes me is that these neighborhoods look pretty much the same since when we moved in, with just some improvements. These neighborhoods stand the test of time and everyone seems to keep their houses looking good. All in all, a stable place to be. We raised 2 children here and they still say they loved growing up in our neighborhood.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 280,280 times
Unfortunately, all prices have come down... but it's a fact of life. I wouldn't let that deter you from making an offer. Oakview, Brookdale, and Demarest are your best bets - sticking to the North end of town like others have already stated. Nobody knows what the future will bring for the values, but Bloomfield has great proximity to NYC, NJ highways, and public transportation. I've heard mixed reviews on the HS, but I would speak with people who've had children go through. I've never heard anything bad from someone with firsthand experience... that has to say something. Best of luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 PM

253 posts, read 875,453 times
Both of our children attended the HS, one graduated this year. I'lll say that it's what you make of it, and what values your kids bring to the table. YOu'll hear a lot of negatives, but I can tell you there's a lot of positives too. At one point we had the oldest Latin Club in the US, and one of the highest rated Computer Clubs inthe country. Every year we have students that take college level classes to get a head start on their freshman year. Every year we have students go onto ivy league schools and military academies. There's sports, clubs, and a wonderful music program to keep the students active.

A few years back my neighbor's daughter went onto NYU, and when we asked her in retrospect if Bloomfield had prepared her well, she said she was very prepared for dealing with college and the variety of people she encountered, and the level of courses.

Another encouraging aspect of BHS is that it's large enough to cater to different levels of students. Not everyone is cut out for college, or wants to be. That being said, the school offers alternative ciriculum for those that would prefer to learn a trade, and they have a great co-op program.

As I said, you will also hear negatives. It's a large school with a diverse mix of students. I can tell you that my girls have learned to get along with everyone. Ask a lot of questions, and go on njo.com and read through the Bloomfield Forum - or read through the forums for whatever town you are interested in - there's bound to be mention of the local HS and that will give you some items to consider.

Good Luck

Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 AM

821 posts, read 1,757,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
What I'm saying is that considering the demographics, when there is one HS, this can happen. The towns you mentioned are mostly middle to upper middle class. Bloomfield has a large blue collar population. If Bloomfield had 2 highschools, one in the north end and one in the south end (at one time they had 2 jr highs and no middle school), then you'd see higher scores for the north end school.
So because the north end has more money the kids would be smarter the teachers would try harder?????

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM

821 posts, read 1,757,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Both of our children attended the HS, one graduated this year. I'lll say that it's what you make of it, and what values your kids bring to the table. YOu'll hear a lot of negatives, but I can tell you there's a lot of positives too. At one point we had the oldest Latin Club in the US, and one of the highest rated Computer Clubs inthe country. Every year we have students that take college level classes to get a head start on their freshman year. Every year we have students go onto ivy league schools and military academies. There's sports, clubs, and a wonderful music program to keep the students active.

A few years back my neighbor's daughter went onto NYU, and when we asked her in retrospect if Bloomfield had prepared her well, she said she was very prepared for dealing with college and the variety of people she encountered, and the level of courses.

Another encouraging aspect of BHS is that it's large enough to cater to different levels of students. Not everyone is cut out for college, or wants to be. That being said, the school offers alternative ciriculum for those that would prefer to learn a trade, and they have a great co-op program.

As I said, you will also hear negatives. It's a large school with a diverse mix of students. I can tell you that my girls have learned to get along with everyone. Ask a lot of questions, and go on njo.com and read through the Bloomfield Forum - or read through the forums for whatever town you are interested in - there's bound to be mention of the local HS and that will give you some items to consider.

Good Luck
I couldn't have said it any better "I'lll say that it's what you make of it, and what values your kids bring to the table"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or