U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 25,688 times

Advertisements

I am getting very close to bidding on a house in the Brookdale neighborhood of Bloomfield. It's literally 1/2 a block from Glen Ridge and everything looks great. I know that beyond the primary school, a child would have to attend Bloomfield High, which I know is terrible. But, aside from that, what are the downsides to living in Brookdale? Are real estate values in Brookdale sliding the same way that they are in the rest of Bloomfield? Is it a bad investment? Are there historical prices for Brookdale that I could look at?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
I live in Brookdale and yes prices have fallen. It's still a very desirable area. FYI, after elementary school is middle school. The HS scores aren't the greatest, but that's pretty typical in many towns that have only one highschool. Brookdale and Oakview schools are excellent. If your child does well in elementary school, they should be fine. You can send me a direct message with specific questions if you prefer.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

yes, but are housing prices falling in the brookdale area? if so, are they expected to continue this way?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,975,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikodan31 View Post
yes, but are housing prices falling in the brookdale area? if so, are they expected to continue this way?
I think that's typical for all of NJ at the moment...I wouldn't use that as a factor for buying. The market is crap everywhere - if it's close to NYC and / or the train station.... you'll always have a market : )))

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I live in Brookdale and yes prices have fallen. It's still a very desirable area. FYI, after elementary school is middle school. The HS scores aren't the greatest, but that's pretty typical in many towns that have only one highschool. Brookdale and Oakview schools are excellent. If your child does well in elementary school, they should be fine. You can send me a direct message with specific questions if you prefer.
Did you sell your place in Brookdale yet?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM

is there anything unsafe about the area?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM

[SIZE=3][LEFT]here's a great website. New Jersey State Police - Crime Reports & Statistics[/SIZE][SIZE=1][/LEFT]
[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I think that's typical for all of NJ at the moment...I wouldn't use that as a factor for buying. The market is crap everywhere - if it's close to NYC and / or the train station.... you'll always have a market : )))
Exactly. Prices in all of the town have fallen. It's still a good investment when you buy in a desirable area. If you're planning on staying for a while, I'd go for it NOW. I don't see them falling much more in the future. Many people are holding out for fair market value and refusing lowball offers. Brookdale is the best area in Bloomfield, so it's a safe bet.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

wiley, we've had a lot of offers, but they were a little low, and we don't have to sell, so we're holding out.

I'm not sure exactly what street you're looking at, but for the most part, Brookdale is very safe. I've lived here 12 years and there hasn't been any crime at all in my neighborhood (as of today )

Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

706 posts, read 877,997 times
Default Moving too

I'm moving to that area as well. I'm a little surprised to hear that Bloomfield High was not a good school. My family and I are moving from Passaic County, so the needless to say, you either have a choice between the two worst high schools in New Jersey or pay dearly for private school.

We're very excited about the move, can you provide a little more information on bloomfield high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or