U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

857 posts, read 1,765,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Before I moved back to NJ, I had to sell my AR-15s, my HK-91, my AK-47, my H&S Precision take-down rifle, and my Benelli semi-auto shotgun
gasp! and you are alive today to tell us about it????? Good thing you didn't need to form a militia or anything between then and now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM

13,460 posts, read 14,445,292 times
We it comes to gun ownership in NJ, the law leans more in favor towards the criminally minded.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 30,544 times
Thanks for all the serious replies. I currently have a Florida Non-Res permit, Pa and NYS carry permit(where I live now). I have to look into this some more, but I think that if NJ honors Florida or Pa's permits then I should be fine.

Are all Ar's illegal? The reason I ask is because the "Clinton Law" is no longer and to some degree pre-ban lowers are still considered legal in most cases.

I guess this was the wrong forum to get information about guns with all the anti's.

Thanks again to all that took this seriously.

Carl

Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
gasp! and you are alive today to tell us about it????? Good thing you didn't need to form a militia or anything between then and now...
Yup, good thing. It's not about needing to form a militia- it's about neing able to exercise the second amendment of our country's constitution without some Trenton bureaucrat deciding which "arms" you've been given the right to bear while the criminals run around willy-nilly carrying whatever they feel like.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlschmarl2 View Post
Thanks for all the serious replies. I currently have a Florida Non-Res permit, Pa and NYS carry permit(where I live now). I have to look into this some more, but I think that if NJ honors Florida or Pa's permits then I should be fine.

Are all Ar's illegal? The reason I ask is because the "Clinton Law" is no longer and to some degree pre-ban lowers are still considered legal in most cases.

I guess this was the wrong forum to get information about guns with all the anti's.

Thanks again to all that took this seriously.

Carl
NJ will not honor another state's permits- you've got to prove the need to carry in NJ, regardless of the rights you were granted someplace else. In other words, don't count on getting a carry permit in NJ.

And no, they won't allow the pre-ban lowers- it's a cut and dry all-or-nothing statute- if it's an AR-15, or anything else that's considered similar, you're SOL.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,172,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
NJ will not honor another state's permits- you've got to prove the need to carry in NJ, regardless of the rights you were granted someplace else. In other words, don't count on getting a carry permit in NJ.

And no, they won't allow the pre-ban lowers- it's a cut and dry all-or-nothing statute- if it's an AR-15, or anything else that's considered similar, you're SOL.
Yup. Not involved in guns but did spend some time on a grand jury. We had more than a few cases of people travelling across the state with weapons - for instance from PA to NY (and licenced in both states) and they were arrested and charged because they were not licenced in NJ.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM

15,901 posts, read 10,954,801 times
Default purchase in nj

Yikes!

To buy a long gun or transport firearms to and from the field for hunting you need a firearm purchasing permit.

To get a firearms purchasing permit you apply at the local police station, give 3 references, each will be contacted! you give access to your medical records, etc. You get fingerprinted. Your prints are sent to the FBI. Eventually if all the info checks out you get a permit. If you move, you need another permit to reflect your address as it appears on your driver's license.

With this firearms purchasing permit you can now go back to the local police and request a permit to buy a pistol! You go through the same process and if all ok you get a permit good for a limited amount of time in which to make the purchase. Yes, you even get fingerprinted again.

BBguns/ airguns are considered 'firearms' in NJ.

The Graves Bill requires 3 years mandatory for commiting a crime with a gun.

A local gun collector in his 40s had to sell all his guns by court order because he lied on his permit application. When he was 18 he stole a tire and got caught. This crime would have prevented him from obtaining a permit to purchase a firearm.

NJ passed a law to further weed out gun owners. If convicted of domestic violence you could not get a gun. Good thing! Problem is some cops had domestic violence charges. Not sure how that issue resolved itself.

The previous governor appointed a head of the state police who it turned out was a convicted felon. The short lived head of the state police couldn't carry a gun. Believe he was previously head of the Newark police, but I could be wrong about which town it was.

Tough gun laws here. Criminal activity does not seem to be affected by such trivial obstructions.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The previous governor appointed a head of the state police who it turned out was a convicted felon. The short lived head of the state police couldn't carry a gun. Believe he was previously head of the Newark police, but I could be wrong about which town it was.
Joe Santiago (Currently the police director in Trenton ) is a slimeball and a crook but unfortunately he's never been convicted of anything. The reason he was ousted was because he used hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of state funds to decorate his office at division headquarters and designated himself an "Honorary Trooper" despite having never gone through the academy. He had no right to wear the triangle or the uniform but did so anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Tough gun laws here. Criminal activity does not seem to be affected by such trivial obstructions.
I would have no problem with "tough gun laws" so long as I could be permitted with more freedom. If the state of New Jersey told me that I could carry concealed with a background check, fingerprints, mental health history, domestic violence check, etc...I'd be absolutely fine with it. Waiting periods, 90 day purchase permits, whatever, all I want is to be able to carry a loaded weapon in my vehicle or on my person if I so choose.

As for the specific prohibitions on weapons, its a non-issue for me. I'm an enthusiast in the sense that I enjoy clay shooting, target shooting with handguns, hunting, etc...but I just never got into rifles as much. There is no rifle hunting in New Jersey which is certainly part of it, but basically all I need is a 12 gauge shotgun, a 9 mm handgun, and a 30-06 to putz around with.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,632,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish740 View Post
i would have no problem with "tough gun laws" so long as i could be permitted with more freedom. If the state of new jersey told me that i could carry concealed with a background check, fingerprints, mental health history, domestic violence check, etc...i'd be absolutely fine with it. Waiting periods, 90 day purchase permits, whatever, all i want is to be able to carry a loaded weapon in my vehicle or on my person if i so choose.
+1

Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM

217 posts, read 1,005,380 times
Whats up with the way you wrote the post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or