U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 30,544 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I might be relocating to the Newark area for work. I was wondering if the city had any specific conceal carry laws. How is the state itself towards handguns? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Also, does anyone know where I can get/find the laws pertaining to carrying concealed and high cap mag restrictions and AR's? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Carl
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
I would say Newark is very gun friendly.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
NJ has one of the most restrictive gun policies in the country, and concealed carry permits are virtually impossible to pbtain unless you work in a profession that requires you to carry large quantities of valuables on a regular basis (like being a traveling diamond salesman). Hi-cap mags aren't permitted, and you couldn't own an AR-15 if you tried. You'll have to find other means of protecting yourself if you really feel that you'll be in danger.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I would say Newark is very gun friendly.
Yeah, as long as you're the criminal.........

Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
NJ has one of the most restrictive gun policies in the country, and concealed carry permits are virtually impossible to pbtain unless you work in a profession that requires you to carry large quantities of valuables on a regular basis (like being a traveling diamond salesman). Hi-cap mags aren't permitted, and you couldn't own an AR-15 if you tried. You'll have to find other means of protecting yourself if you really feel that you'll be in danger.
Pretty much what Bob said, but the restrictive nature of concealed carry permits really cannot be blamed on state law as issuance is not up to the state. New Jersey is a "may issue" state with regard to concealed carry permits. This means that it is at the discretion of local police departments to issue concealed carry permits. That being said, good luck getting one.

From the New Jersey Weapon Law FAQ:

How can I get a 'Permit to Carry' a handgun?
1. One may obtain a 'Permit to Carry' a handgun for the entire state of NJ provided that the applicant:
(a) is not prohibited from purchasing a handgun
(b) demonstrates a proficient handling of a handgun
(c) has a justifiable need to carry a handgun
2. An application to carry a handgun must be submitted to the:
(a) Chief of Police who:
(1) shall approve or deny the application within 60 days
(2) must approve the application after 60 days from filing
(b) County Superior Court who shall:
(1) approve or deny the application

As for AR-15's and other weapons:

What firearms are illegal in NJ?
1. 'Assault Firearms'
(a) Specific List
(1) Algimec AGM1 type
(2) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
(3) Armalite AR-180 type
(4) Australian Automatic Arms SAR
(5) Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
(6) Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
(7) Bushmaster Assault Rifle
(8) Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
(9) CETME G3
(10) Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
(11) Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
(12) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
(13) Demro TAC-1 carbine type
(14) Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
(15) FAMAS MAS223 types
(16) FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
(17) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
(18) G3SA type
(19) Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
(20) Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
(21) M1 carbine type
(22) M14S type
(23) MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
(24) PJK M-68 carbine type
(25) Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
(26) Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
(27) SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
(28) SKS with detachable magazine type
(29) Spectre Auto carbine type
(30) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
(31) Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
(32) Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
(33) USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
(34) Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
(35) Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
(36) Weaver Arm Nighthawk
(b) Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above
(c) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock
(d) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds
(e) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person
2. Sawed-off Shotgun
(a) any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle
(b) any rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle
(c) any firearm altered from a rifle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches
3. Defaced Firearms
(a) removed, altered or covered:
(1) manufacturer name
(2) model number
(3) serial number

The problem with concealed carry has less to do with New Jersey law and more to do with the litigious, densely populated society we live in. Quite simply, police chiefs in New Jersey just don't want the responsibility of issuing the permits.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,632,588 times
I have applied for a CCW license twice. Once for work and the second time for personal. When I did so for work, the police cheif wanted to talk to me about it. Went to see him, very nice guy, and he basically said he would not honor the CCW permit but did have an on duty, in uniform, officer accompany me everytime I went to make my rounds for free as a coutesy. Basically this negated my reason for needing a CCW permit. After about of year of that the chief got me a discount on hiring a professional armed courier service. We were both happy.

The second time for personal use (in a different town) the officer who I handed my form to basically pulled me aside and said it would be a cold day in hell that the application would be approved. To this day, 3 years later, it is still officially "Pending". Without getting a lawyer involved I doubt the status will ever change. lol

As for simply owning a handgun...I have had hand guns since I was 21. Its never been a problem no matter where I lived. I just show my Firearms License whenever Im stopped by police, tell them up front there is a weapon in the car if they ask, where it is, where the ammo is... I re-register them when I move and its never been a problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:47 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yeah, as long as you're the criminal.........
LOL, I know. I wasn't really sure if the OP was being serious, or started this thread as a joke.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,522,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I have applied for a CCW license twice. Once for work and the second time for personal. When I did so for work, the police cheif wanted to talk to me about it. Went to see him, very nice guy, and he basically said he would not honor the CCW permit but did have an on duty, in uniform, officer accompany me everytime I went to make my rounds for free as a coutesy. Basically this negated my reason for needing a CCW permit. After about of year of that the chief got me a discount on hiring a professional armed courier service. We were both happy.

The second time for personal use (in a different town) the officer who I handed my form to basically pulled me aside and said it would be a cold day in hell that the application would be approved. To this day, 3 years later, it is still officially "Pending". Without getting a lawyer involved I doubt the status will ever change. lol

As for simply owning a handgun...I have had hand guns since I was 21. Its never been a problem no matter where I lived. I just show my Firearms License whenever Im stopped by police, tell them up front there is a weapon in the car if they ask, where it is, where the ammo is... I re-register them when I move and its never been a problem.
I'm a little confused. You can own a handgun but you cannot carry one concealed? Can you carry a handgun openly? Do you need a permit to carry openly? What permits do you need to own a gun? What permits do you need to transport a gun? How do you legally transport a gun across state lines say for a hunting trip?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
LOL, I know. I wasn't really sure if the OP was being serious, or started this thread as a joke.
This is the NJ forum.

We answer either way.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm a little confused. You can own a handgun but you cannot carry one concealed? Can you carry a handgun openly? Do you need a permit to carry openly? What permits do you need to own a gun? What permits do you need to transport a gun? How do you legally transport a gun across state lines say for a hunting trip?
You can own firearms that aren't on the list posted above. You can carry them only to and from events such as a hunting trip or a trip to the range. They must be stored unloaded in the vehicle, in a separate case from the ammo, and out of the passenger compartment when possible (in the trunk).

To get a permit own a handgun, you need to fill out forms at your local police department, get character reference letters filled out, and pay the fee. Once your background check is completed and the permit is approved, you get a multi-part form that you take to the gun shop. The gun shop fills out the permit- you get a copy, they keep a copy, and a copy is sent to the police department in your town. If you don't use the permit to make a purchase within 90 days, it expires and you get a nice letter from the police department stating that "permit #XXX was issued to you on XX/XX/XXXX and has now expired. If this permit has been lost or stolen, please report such action immediately. If you still possess this permit, please destroy it" (got that letter myself once.....lol).

Rifles/shotguns are easier to purchase- just need a drivers license I believe.

NJ is a far cry from when I lived in Las Vegas, where you could carry openly, get a concealed carry license very easily, and buy whatever you want. Before I moved back to NJ, I had to sell my AR-15s, my HK-91, my AK-47, my H&S Precision take-down rifle, and my Benelli semi-auto shotgun, as any one of them would have landed me in jail. All of my handguns had to be sent to a licensed dealer and registered in my home city. Now that I'm in GA, I'm back to being able to carry openly, and get a concealed carry license that lets me carry just about everyplace but schools and government buildings. Woo hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or