U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,395,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete0428 View Post
Just as the title says, does the increased pay of the NJ area offset the increased taxes NJ residents have to pay? Im wondering if I'd be better off taking a little pay cut when I graduate college and moving to PA or something where I might actually be able to afford to live. If the salary increase doesn't offset the higher cost of living, whats the point of staying here?
wHERE Pete?? I am having a terrible time finding work here (my husband was promoted through his company to here)but the wages are terrible here for an HR person /or secretary! My husband is underpaid here too!!Everything here IS EXPENSIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 PM

5,273 posts, read 6,395,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
BOb, the same with my husband. He is making more here than he ever made in his life. We do pay a high sales tax, but there is no state income tax. There is also no state tax on interest from savings, and for us that would amount to quite a bit.
Our quality of life is also better , because my husbands 2 hours plus commute is now 20-25 min. My daughter is happier here, and we will be complete once my son finds a job here. He decided he wants to be near his family, and Nashville offers his love of music.

Diane G
Wow, I am glad my husband isnt the only one who is driving (or drove)almost 2 hours to work!! He can't wait to leave NJ and move to GA preferably!!!! I cannot believe the mansions you get in comparison to INFLATED prices in NJ!!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:12 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,633,744 times
I'll tell you one thing..... if there was a way I could make what I make here, with the benefits I get here, I would move in a heartbeat. I dont know where, I hate heat, but I would def be outta here.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,972,926 times
cheaper house..lower salary...blah, blah, blah!!!!!!!! Just like the housing market - sell low, buy low - sell high, buy high...it's all relative! If you are one of the few who can make what you make here and pay what they pay there...great! But the odds are against you! Perhaps we could all use a lesson in living "below your means!" The more we make, the more we want...... If a single person making 55K yr. can't make it in NJ, I have no sympathy! Rent or buy something that is below your means.. a nice condo perhaps. And leave the BMW at the dealership and buy a nice Hyundia! We NJians are gluttens (sp).

Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 AM

33 posts, read 69,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
wHERE Pete?? I am having a terrible time finding work here (my husband was promoted through his company to here)but the wages are terrible here for an HR person /or secretary! My husband is underpaid here too!!Everything here IS EXPENSIVE!

I guess I was wrong. I was always under the impression that NJ and the tri-state area in general paid more than less industrial areas.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM

101 posts, read 397,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
BOb, the same with my husband. He is making more here than he ever made in his life. We do pay a high sales tax, but there is no state income tax. There is also no state tax on interest from savings, and for us that would amount to quite a bit.
Our quality of life is also better , because my husbands 2 hours plus commute is now 20-25 min. My daughter is happier here, and we will be complete once my son finds a job here. He decided he wants to be near his family, and Nashville offers his love of music.

Diane G
Nice Diane, that's great, I've never been to Nashville, but heard nice things. I'd move for that change in commute alone, I was doing 1.5 hr for awhile, and thanked the inventor of audiobooks, but couldn't fathom doing it longer than a year.. Now I'm a work part-time sometimes outside the home sometimes in the home consultant..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or