Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,749 times

Advertisements

we just bought a house in somerset/franklin...im kinda confused...i know it's in somerset (08873) also in somerset county. ill be sending my son to pre-k this sept. i want to know how is the school system because ive heard it's bad, some says it's ok...so i really dont know. any advices?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,749 times
another q...i know edison have the north & south, how about in somerset? are the houses close to jfk blvd/easton ok?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 139,093 times
Hi!
I've lived in Somerset since 1996. elementary schools are great, very diverse and blue ribbon, magnet schools. The high school has gotten a bad rap because of the actions of a few but they have great teachers, a good AP and honors program, lots of clubs and my kids (graduated last year) who never got into trouble, played sports, were in student government, took AP and honors classes, were accepted to great colleges including UNC and Georgetown. Check the board of ed website for more on the magnet programs.
there is no north or south somerset. I live off JFK Blvd, my backyard backs up to it....the houses are nice, I have a great neighborhood, except there are still a lot of senior citizens, meaning very few kids in my immediate neighborhood but I like my area, being close to everything, including the NY bus which runs down jfk in the am and pm! feel free to email me @ anatk1@yahoo.com!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
I'm in Franklin too, have one kid in Kindergarten and another starting Pre-K next year. The elementary schools are great. My daughters teachers last year and this are/were fabulous, the class sizes small and everybody friendly. The middle school has hormone issues - I think they made a mistake by making it two grades so you have a bunch of hormonal 12/13 year olds in there with no moderating influence of younger and older kids. The high school is much calmer.

Franklin has one corner which borders onto New Brunswick and is definitely rougher and more blue collar. I definitely generates more paranoia than it deserves, especially from people with no first hand knowledge. The vast majority of the town is just generally regular people, and extremely diverse, which can also scare some people unfortunately. However we have found it to be a pleasant place to live. The town facilities are good, we have an excellent library, great parks and a good affordable summer camp program for the towns kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey