U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,979,617 times

Advertisements

uh oh. I never returned my 3 set of plates once I sold my vehicles. Do I have to pay 200 now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,545,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
uh oh. I never returned my 3 set of plates once I sold my vehicles. Do I have to pay 200 now?
Did you transfer plates to a new vehicle?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Did you transfer plates to a new vehicle?
Nope, one vehicle was lemoned, so I just handed it in, threw the plates in the trunk and forgot about them. My replacement vehicle was bought out of state a few months later and I got new plates, then I had personalized plated to replace the second set.

So I have 1 set (2 plates) and 2 single plates (I threw the front ones out as the screws were rusted into the holder.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Turning in plates has been around for a long time.
Why wouldn't you? It's your only proof if some person or cop miss reads a plate and it comes up your number..you have the receipt the plates were surrendered.

I know once insurance notifies Trenton you are no longer covered if the plates haven't been surrendered they do suspend but I wasn't aware they fine you $200

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I know once insurance notifies Trenton you are no longer covered if the plates haven't been surrendered they do suspend but I wasn't aware they fine you $200
That might be an exaggeration of the reinstatement fee for the DL.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
I didn't mean to divert this thread from property-related taxes to license plates.

Whenever the rules went into effect that said people had to hand in old plates, this was not publicized. Putting it into the driver's manual doesn't count. Who gets a new driver's manual every year? Who routinely peruses the NJ statutes database?

My hypothesis (and I'm sticking to it since there is no evidence to the contrary) is that this regulation was intentionally not made public so that more people unintenionally violate it, and the state could extort more money from innocent people, who have no due process rights to appeal.
But I'm free now, and I'll never live in NJ again!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,043,938 times
I did not need any reinstatement of my NJ driver's license. I had a valid PA license.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Turning in plates has been around for a long time.
Why wouldn't you? It's your only proof if some person or cop miss reads a plate and it comes up your number..you have the receipt the plates were surrendered.

When I lived in SC I returned the plates promptly as to get a partial refund of my property tax I paid on the car, but since there is no personal property vehicle taxes charged in NJ, I never had the urge to wait in a third world country known as the Jersey City MVC.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I did not need any reinstatement of my NJ driver's license. I had a valid PA license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Driver's Application, Question 6
Is your right to apply for a license or your privilege to operate a vehicle in this or any other state currently suspended or revoked?.......................................... ..
Your PA license can be considered revoked by your NJ suspension. I'd recommend finding out the status in NJ immediately.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
When I lived in SC I returned the plates promptly as to get a partial refund of my property tax I paid on the car, but since there is no personal property vehicle taxes charged in NJ, I never had the urge to wait in a third world country known as the Jersey City MVC.
They had a separate line when I last returned plates, took all of 10 seconds.

Unfortunately, the person at the counter was an idiot - while I had a dated receipt, it was never recorded, and my license was suspended for..... not returning my plates. Which I had a receipt for. Which I had to go to court over.

I hate the MVC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or