U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New Jersey: buy a house, cost of living, housing, traffic, demographics.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 PM

18 posts, read 45,233 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I want to get some help in making a decision choosing between
North Jersey(bergen county) and Nassau county in Longisland. Having stayed
for the last 2 years in Essex and Bergen county and previously in Suffolk county in LI for 3 years, I really dont see much difference in terms of cost of living ,BTW I never owned a house ,stayed in apartments in both the places.
Now I am looking to buy a house in a good SD have a 3 year old and I can find work both in NJ and in the NY , Help and personal experiences especially welcome. I appreciate your opinion,Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,135,047 times
generally speaking, i think bergen and nassau counties have a lot in common in terms of lifestyle, housing stock, demographics, population density, physical appearance, and cost of living, although of course there are a few key differences. both areas have a number of comparable towns with good-to-great school districts and expensive housing. both have large italian and jewish populations (as is the case in much of the greater nyc area, of course), although nassau is more jewish than bergen. nassau definitely has a larger african-american population while the latino presence is fairly similar in both (over 10% of the total and growing). bergen clearly has a larger asian population that includes a major korean presence, whereas nassau's asian communities tend to be more indian and chinese.

both counties have a ton of wealth in their northern areas and more middle class and sometimes working class towns in the south, although nassau has some very rich areas along the southern beach areas as well. overall, nassau has a higher median household income (the midway point of all incomes) while bergen has a higher per capita income (the sum of all incomes divided by the total number of people). all things considered, i'd say the two counties are more or less equivalent income-wise. and it's very difficult to find housing bargains anywhere in either county. in fact, i'd say that towns on a similar level in bergen and nassau probably have nearly identical housing costs - high end towns might have median house prices approaching or above $1 million, while working-to-middle class areas might have median prices in the $400k-$550k range.

nassau has its beaches, of course, while bergen is right across the river from the city; in fact, the southern bergen towns (along with eastern essex/southern passaic/western hudson) is the closest suburban area to midtown. if you like going to the beach very often and prefer to hang out there at almost every opportunity during the summer, nassau would have the advantage. but if you're the type who's always in and around manhattan, bergen might be a better choice, especially if you like driving into the city. when i lived in bergen, i almost always drove into the city (especially when i knew i'd be hanging out late) because i despise being at the mercy of suburban commuter train/bus schedules during the overnight hours. now, getting to the city from nassau is not that difficult, of course, and driving to the jersey shore every weekend from bergen is very doable, but i'm just pointing out something which could affect your decision either way.

as brutal as the traffic is in northern nj, i think it's actually worse out on long island. this is because the island is long and relatively narrow, which means that traffic is compressed into a smaller area than jersey, which by contrast has better road access to points in all directions. plus, there are no bridges or tunnels from nassau or suffolk counties to other areas. this means that to get anywhere from long island, you have to pass through queens, which can be rough due to the horrendous traffic and awful road infrastructure. in nj, you can avoid the city's roads altogether if you're going down the shore, up to the catskills, west to the poconos, or even up to new england if you take a more circuitous route. from LI, that simply isn't possible due to the lack of water crossings; if you want to go up to connecticut and the throgs neck and whitestone bridges are packed, you're pretty much screwed.

due to these traffic and access issues, i believe that bergen has the better and more central location in the region. but again, it depends what your priorities are. personally, i don't think i could ever live more than 15-20 miles from midtown manhattan as long as i'm in the nyc region. and because nj is literally right across the river from manhattan, there are a lot of towns in bergen, hudson, passaic, essex, and union counties that meet this criteria. but that same radius doesn't extend too deeply into nassau county because queens forms a barrier in between manhattan and LI; even if you're on the queens/nassau border, you're right on the periphery of that radius, which is why i've never really considered nassau as an option.

really, you can't go wrong either way. both counties offer a lot of recreational amenities, shopping, and jobs. it pretty much boils down to whether you can afford the housing and what your priorities are.

Last edited by pbergen; 07-07-2008 at 11:50 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,196,256 times
the NYC suburbs are pretty much gonna be alike, I cannot imagine why they would not be

only very small and superficial differences exist

Like NJ, westchester, rockland are easier for roadtrips

NJ has better youth athletics

Taxes may be a little cheaper in rockland or westchester

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,103,369 times
Bergen and Nassau are essentially the same except in Nassau you are ISOLATED on an island with loads of traffic, because the only way to get off this said island is through the largest metropolis in the USA. Not for me...you get the same thing in Bergen, but you're on the mainland.

Most of my family is from Long Island, and they never leave the island because it's a pain in the a**. They just stay out there. LI is it's own world.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM

217 posts, read 1,006,075 times
I always thought the same. I love both places, i mostly love bergen because it's where i grew up. But i know Nassau county is a little bit cheaper if you say you want to buy a home. I know East Meadow is really nice (thats in long island) its close to everything.
And for bergen i would say Lyndhurst because that, i think, is the cheapest area in bergen where you can buy a home (not so much the taxes though) and its again, close to everything. And it's a cute lil town.

BTW whats your price range?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 AM

18 posts, read 45,233 times
about 500K, Thank you all for the valuable comments

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,135,047 times
definitely check out rutherford. it's one of the nicer towns in the more affordable southern half of bergen county and has great highway and mass transit access to everything. there's an ongoing thread on this board about rutherford vs. lyndhurst that should give you plenty of info about that town.

wood-ridge and hasbrouck heights are similarly nice towns in the southern bergen area. and you might want to look into leonia as well.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 AM

217 posts, read 1,006,075 times
500K is a good range, you can get a good selection
Im going to name towns good with schooling for your kid that fits your price range

Bergenfield, Bogota, Hackensack, Teaneck, Rutherford, E. Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Leonia, Edgewater, Cliffside Park, Hasbrouck Heights, South Hackensack, Little Ferry, and Ridgefield Park < all bergen county

just to name a few

Lodi and Garfield have horrible schools

Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM

88 posts, read 479,993 times
North Jersey NO DOUBT!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,964,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Bergen and Nassau are essentially the same except in Nassau you are ISOLATED on an island with loads of traffic, because the only way to get off this said island is through the largest metropolis in the USA. Not for me...you get the same thing in Bergen, but you're on the mainland.

Most of my family is from Long Island, and they never leave the island because it's a pain in the a**. They just stay out there. LI is it's own world.
+1 - that's the reason I'd never live on LI (no offense to LI, it's a really nice place). I dread the times I have to go out there just b/c of the PITA factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or