U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:19 PM

22,750 posts, read 28,621,839 times

Advertisements

i have never been to JC but i assume there is probably an area for white people and an area for non-white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM

786 posts, read 2,271,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Arte you just bitter because you got trounced when I called you out on your ignorance of stats 101 ?

The answer is, no, I said it's not a single neighborhood. There is no pretending about it.
LOL...you must be in your own little world because I don't remember being "trounced" by you in that old thread.

Btw, if everyone else, like this poster, considers JC as one unit for comparison purposes, and you're the only one who shouts and cries that it's not, who's not being realistic?

You remind me of that guy in the old Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie who goes into traffic yelling and screaming, but no one pays attention to him

Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,420,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
LOL...you must be in your own little world because I don't remember being "trounced" by you in that old thread.
I don't know, selective amnesia, perhaps ? AGAIN, if you take a high crime neighborhood, and a low crime neighborhood, and aggregate the crime rates, you will get numbers that are representative of the high crime neighborhood -- this is the way skewed stats work. No-one is saying downtown JC is safer than Westfield, but it's certainly no worse than Hoboken for example.

Quote:
Btw, if everyone else, like this poster, considers JC as one unit for comparison purposes,
False premise. Read the first post of this thread, which specifically refers to neighborhoods of JC.

Downtown and Greenville have as much in common as Coney Island, Park Slope and Williamsburg.

Quote:
and you're the only one who shouts and cries that it's not, who's not being realistic?
It's been pointed out plenty of times by others.

Quote:
You remind me of that guy in the old Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie who goes into traffic yelling and screaming, but no one pays attention to him
You certainly pay plenty of attention to me

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know, selective amnesia, perhaps ? AGAIN, if you take a high crime neighborhood, and a low crime neighborhood, and aggregate the crime rates, you will get numbers that are representative of the high crime neighborhood -- this is the way skewed stats work. No-one is saying downtown JC is safer than Westfield, but it's certainly no worse than Hoboken for example.
And again, I'm telling you people have stats for JC as a whole, and JC as a whole is the city/town unit; you cannot arbitrarily decide which stats to use when deciding on the safety of a city. You can, however, say, "well, this part of JC is ok"

Btw, wouldn't Hoboken have its own bad and good parts? Shouldn't we then arbitrarily divide Hoboken into smaller portions and compare those portions against your portions of JC?

Hell, we can just use a few blocks of Hoboken and compare them against a few blocks of JC and a few blocks of Elizabeth. Wow, what fun we'll all have!

Quote:
You certainly pay plenty of attention to me
That's cause I'm the guy driving the car who keeps hitting you and putting you on yer a**

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
And again, I'm telling you people have stats for JC as a whole, and JC as a whole is the political unit;
And I am telling you, that what you call "the stats for JC as a whole" are only representative of the worst parts of Jersey City.

Look, would you care to address this: Brooklyn counts as one city as far as this site is concerned. Would you therefore compare aggregate statistics for Brooklyn with aggregate statistics for Hoboken ?

Quote:
you cannot arbitrarily decide which stats to use when deciding on the safety of a city.
I don't know what you mean here. No-one is "arbitrarily deciding which stats to use".

Quote:
Btw, wouldn't Hoboken have its own bad and good parts?
Hoboken covers a much smaller geographic region than Jersey City.

Quote:
Shouldn't we then arbitrarily divide Hoboken into smaller portions and compare those portions against your portions of JC?
If there are identifiable neighborhoods within Hoboken, sure. But there aren't, because it's much smaller than Jersey City.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
If there are identifiable neighborhoods within Hoboken, sure. But there aren't, because it's much smaller than Jersey City.
there is a jenkins area in hoboken that you arent supposed to go in.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is a jenkins area in hoboken that you arent supposed to go in.
Where is that ? There aren't any clear-cut boundaries within Hoboken, the whole place is flat and its old name was "mile square", 'nuff said.

On the other hand, it's pretty cleanly cut off from neighboring towns by distinct geographical boundaries.

In general I think it's disingenuous to cry foul when someone splits up a town into neighborhoods that are socio-economically, demographically very different, and well separated geographically.

Kalim was complaining because I pointed out that aggregate crime stats for Jersey City are primarily representative of the high crime neighborhoods, and don't have a whole lot to do with downtown.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Where is that ? There aren't any clear-cut boundaries within Hoboken, the whole place is flat and its old name was "mile square", 'nuff said.
Give it up

Most cities have good and bad areas. It goes without saying this happens in any larger city. If JC can start using the "good" areas as representative of the city as a whole, then other cities should have that ability too. Since this is ludicrous, then the best you can do is say "Well, JC has its good areas too, like downtown", and leave it at that.

Btw, I'm not being that serious in my arguments...it was just kinda funny to me...I know downtown JC is pretty ok. My sis lives there.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Give it up

Most cities have good and bad areas. It goes without saying this happens in any larger city.
Absolutely correct! If a city consists of several distinct neighborhoods that are both geographically well separated, and fundamentally different, then for most purposes, it is incorrect to treat them as a single unit.

Quote:
If JC can start using the "good" areas as representative of the city as a whole,
What does "the city as a whole" mean ?

Quote:
then other cities should have that ability too.
Absolutely. If other cities have identifiable neighborhoods that are fundamentally different, then aggregating the entire city is silly.

I don't think it's all incorrect for example, to say that Park Slope is different from Coney Island.

You apparently seem to think that both Park Slope, Coney Island, Crown Heights, and Bushwick are "Brooklyn as a whole" (whatever that means).

Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, it's pretty cleanly cut off from neighboring towns by distinct geographical boundaries.

In general I think it's disingenuous to cry foul when someone splits up a town into neighborhoods that are socio-economically, demographically very different, and well separated geographically.

Kalim was complaining because I pointed out that aggregate crime stats for Jersey City are primarily representative of the high crime neighborhoods, and don't have a whole lot to do with downtown.
im not sure exactly. my brother lives on madison street which he says isnt far from the jenkins area. when he was new to the area he accidentally walked through the area one night.

it sounds to me like you are right about jersey city, like most cities. there are areas where most of the crime happens and if you avoid them you are less likely to get shanked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey