U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,730 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering to move to Ridgewood. I know there are great schools there for our kids. I got a job working in right down south of Manhattan, Bowling Green.
What's the train commute like? I understand that I will have to change train at Seacaucus to get to Penn Station. And then get a subway from there to Bowling Green.
I am deciding between Port Washington, Long Island, and Ridgewood. I do seem to get more $$ from the houses I see in Ridgewood.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehope View Post
My family and I are considering to move to Ridgewood. I know there are great schools there for our kids. I got a job working in right down south of Manhattan, Bowling Green.
What's the train commute like? I understand that I will have to change train at Seacaucus to get to Penn Station. And then get a subway from there to Bowling Green.
I am deciding between Port Washington, Long Island, and Ridgewood. I do seem to get more $$ from the houses I see in Ridgewood.
Thanks.
There are several express trains that run during rush hours that take about 45 min or less to Penn Station (including the transfer). Regular trains take a bit longer - about 50-55 min. Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM

3,994 posts, read 8,728,715 times
Yea its really not too bad.

Just get on the train to Secaucus, which takes roughly 40 mins. Then you jump on the PATH which is another 15 or so.

It takes roughly an hour to get into the city. An hour might seem like a lot, but it doesnt feel very long on a train since your not driving (and can read the paper or do work on your laptop)

Old 07-08-2008, 07:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,102,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Yea its really not too bad.

Just get on the train to Secaucus, which takes roughly 40 mins. Then you jump on the PATH which is another 15 or so.

It takes roughly an hour to get into the city. An hour might seem like a lot, but it doesnt feel very long on a train since your not driving (and can read the paper or do work on your laptop)
When did PATH start servicing Secaucus? You've got to take a train to Secaucus, then either switch trains direct to Penn Station NYC and ride the subway from there, or switch trains to Newark and then take the PATH to lower Manhattan.

While its "only an hour on the train" the real commute door to door is likely between 1.5 and 2 hours each way- not exactly a pleasant way to spend your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or