Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times

Advertisements

inspired by the other thread about returning to weehawken from manhattan late at night...

does anyone know how to find out the routes, schedules, and fares of those latino-run gypsy vans/jitney buses that shuttle between hudson county and manhattan? i'm especially interested in the ones running between the port authority bus terminal (42nd st) and the union city/weehawken/west new york/north bergen area, although i wouldn't mind hearing about the ones that travel between fort lee and the uptown gw bridge bus terminal as well.

how late do those vans run? do they offer 24 hour service, or only until 2-3am or so? if the service does end at some point during the overnight hours, exactly when in the morning does it resume - 5am? 6am?

i know that the vans are all lined up on 42nd st between 8th and 9th aves. is there any way to tell which direction each van is going without randomly asking the driver of each? because the handful of times i took these jitneys (which was years ago), i had to run from van to van to find out which one was going in my direction. is there a more orderly way to do this?

also, i'm assuming that each van has a different fare from its competitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,257 times
why would you ever want to go inside a van of full of stangers that could be sex offenders or murders for all you know? This is the stupidest idea ever.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
why would you ever want to go inside a van of full of stangers that could be sex offenders or murders for all you know? This is the stupidest idea ever.
because i'd like to know what my mass transit options are just in case i ever need to go to nj late at night. the PATH does not serve the areas in question, and the nj transit buses and light rail stop running around 1-1:15am. these gypsy vans are able to fill in the gaps by running during the super late overnight hours, so i'd like to know their routes and schedules.

plus, they're supposed to be a little bit cheaper than nj transit. and i've heard that the buses are reasonably clean and filled with a mix of hard-working, blue-collar immigrants and white collar professionals. hardly sex offenders or murderers as you so alarmingly suggest.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
because i'd like to know what my mass transit options are just in case i ever need to go to nj late at night. the PATH does not serve the areas in question, and the nj transit buses and light rail stop running around 1-1:15am. these gypsy vans are able to fill in the gaps by running during the super late overnight hours, so i'd like to know their routes and schedules.

plus, they're supposed to be a little bit cheaper than nj transit. and i've heard that the buses are reasonably clean and filled with a mix of hard-working, blue-collar immigrants and white collar professionals. hardly sex offenders or murderers as you so alarmingly suggest.

From the other thread...

I ride on them every day in and out of the city. I take the one that goes from Port Authority to Journal Square down Kennedy Blvd. It's Gate 51 inside Port Authority. $2.50 each way. Starts running around 5:30am during the week and 6:00am on weekends. Only runs until MIDNIGHT though.

The white buses on 42nd St. on the Port Authority side go to Bergenline and run up Bergenline from 30th St. to somewhere higher up on Bergenline. It also stops running at MIDNIGHT.

So that's my problem too. If I need to get home between 12 and 6 I have to take the PATH to Journal Square and then pay another $8 for a cab. There is no easy "subway" style of transportation for most of us coming back into Jersey in the middle of the night. It really sucks.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
From the other thread...

I ride on them every day in and out of the city. I take the one that goes from Port Authority to Journal Square down Kennedy Blvd. It's Gate 51 inside Port Authority. $2.50 each way. Starts running around 5:30am during the week and 6:00am on weekends. Only runs until MIDNIGHT though.

The white buses on 42nd St. on the Port Authority side go to Bergenline and run up Bergenline from 30th St. to somewhere higher up on Bergenline. It also stops running at MIDNIGHT.

So that's my problem too. If I need to get home between 12 and 6 I have to take the PATH to Journal Square and then pay another $8 for a cab. There is no easy "subway" style of transportation for most of us coming back into Jersey in the middle of the night. It really sucks.
thanks for the info. for what it's worth, i was recently walking down 42nd street between 8th & 9th aves around 1:30am and saw people boarding those vans. i was surprised because i, too, thought those vans stopped running earlier than that. that's why i'm wondering whether they now run later hours than they used to, and is the reason for my original post.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
From the other thread...

The white buses on 42nd St. on the Port Authority side go to Bergenline and run up Bergenline from 30th St. to somewhere higher up on Bergenline.
The last stop is Bergenline and North Hudson Park.

The bus to Paterson usually waits on 8th ave in front of Port Authority. It also stops at 30th in Union City.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:51 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
thanks for the info. for what it's worth, i was recently walking down 42nd street between 8th & 9th aves around 1:30am and saw people boarding those vans. i was surprised because i, too, thought those vans stopped running earlier than that. that's why i'm wondering whether they now run later hours than they used to, and is the reason for my original post.

Who knows what the actual rules are for those white buses. They aren't regulated like NJ Transit. You can ask them to let you out if they are stopped at a red light or in heavy traffic and not even at a true bus stop. Sometimes I ride for free when they refuse to drive the entire route they drop the load of people off early...who knows why they do that. They prefer to get cash instead of those green tickets because most likely they are skimming from the fares. There is no set amount of people they have to pick up at each destination point.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 AM

72 posts, read 385,485 times
PBergen...the one on 42nd bet 8th and 9th facing 9th run all night & they go to Blvd East. It's not a new development...they have been doing it for years.

As for the ignorant remarks by Miami305Kid, how do you know that if you get on any public transportation you are not sharing it with axe murderers, rapist & societal degenerate. It's a public transportation like all public transportation there is no guarantee that you get only sit beside "safe" people. You walk down the street & I bet not everyone is a "safe" person.

You inept argument is baseless and unnecessary. I have seen people from all race, gender, class and various other social background on these buses. In terms of regulation, I am assuming they are regulated b/c they have a designated parking area in New York City and a defined route in NJ they have been running for a while....thus there must be some kind of municipal involvement in their business.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM

217 posts, read 1,146,785 times
HUH! how does everyone know this LMAO!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
I hate those stupid buses! They drive horribly on the road and cause needless traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey