U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-21-2008, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,671 times
Default Seton Hall student needs help!

Hi, I'm coming to New Jersey to go to Seton Hall Law in Newark. I've never been there and do not have the funds to come visit before school starts. I really need help with apartment hunting. Can anyone tell me if they know of any safe apartments around Newark that allow pets? It's really hard trying to do this from Cleveland and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,111,373 times
Will you have a car? IMO "Newark" and "safe" are generally not used in the same sentence (unless "not" is in between). You might want to consider going a little east like Hoboken, parts of Jersey City or maybe west to South Orange, West Orange or Springfield. I lived in Springfield many years ago that allowed pets. It's called the Villas and is about 20 minutes west of Newark (but you need a car).

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:06 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,417,795 times
Well, if you don't have the funds to come to check it out first, I doubt that you will have the funds to live in Hoboken.

Will you have a car? What is your budget? What type of pets?

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,671 times
I will have a car with me and a small cat. My fiancee will be commuting into NYC but he's willing to deal with a commute as long as we don't have to worry all the time.

Unread 07-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Cat... GOOD. Dogs are much harder.

I would reccommend towns outside of Newark and drive in.

Nutley will have some good options for you. It's a very nice little town with pretty parks and a nice main street. It's a short drive into Newark but you won't have the problems of living in a city with high crime. There are 2 family homes, apartment buildings and many condo rentals.

Lyndhurst is across the river from Nutley and another option for you. Lyndhurst also has a train station so you boyfriend can take the train right into NYC.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to share what I know... and good luck at SHLS.

Unread 07-21-2008, 10:15 PM

1,026 posts, read 2,865,161 times
South Orange, Maplewood, Springfield are all nice towns with apartments and commutable to NYC. There's apt. in Springfield called Short Hills Village. I think they might allow cats but not sure. I also have to say that the Elmora Section of Elizabeth is a good option. It is a good section of a bigger city so you can often get more for your money. It is also a good commute to both Newark and NYC. In Elizabeth you will also find a lot of two family homes vs. traditional apt.

Unread 07-21-2008, 10:28 PM

I don't know, I was in Elmora not too long ago and it's really gone down hill. And remember, when you are in a big city, you inherrit big city problems. Need to call a police officer... GOOD LUCK...they have a lot more important things to do... I'd go with the other options.

South Orange is improving, but it also has some pretty bad areas. Even Maplewood and Springfield can be sketchy.

If you are really looking for low crime, you can look up the crime stats. I will look for the link....

Unread 07-22-2008, 10:55 AM

1,026 posts, read 2,865,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I don't know, I was in Elmora not too long ago and it's really gone down hill. And remember, when you are in a big city, you inherrit big city problems. Need to call a police officer... GOOD LUCK...they have a lot more important things to do... I'd go with the other options.

South Orange is improving, but it also has some pretty bad areas. Even Maplewood and Springfield can be sketchy.

If you are really looking for low crime, you can look up the crime stats. I will look for the link....
Elmora is about the only place you can get a police officer to come in Elizabeth if you need one. LOL. Look, I work in Elizabeth and have a 3 1/2 year old. I would definitely live in Elmora. I grew up in South Orange and although I am not a big proponent of the town because of the high taxes I wouldn't be afraid to live there, the same goes for Maplewood.

Yes, the proximity of all of these towns to areas like Newark, Irvington and East Orange contribute to a slightly higher crime rate but the places I've listed are not high crime areas and you can walk the streets in the evening if you use a little common sense...but hey, that's life in NJ.

Unread 07-22-2008, 01:15 PM

59 posts, read 112,112 times
You're best bet would be to live in South Orange, Maplewood, Springfield and Millburn. These towns are in close proximity to the school and are very safe. South Orange is very nice but rental prices run pretty high ($1,600 for a 1-2 bdrm). If you can get something in Maplewood, you'll be like 5 minutes away from the school. I would personally avoid living in Newark, Irvington and Elizabeth. I lived in Irvington in 89 when it was very nice and things have since gone downhill. Your best bet are the towns mentioned above. Good luck.

Unread 07-22-2008, 01:18 PM

I'd still check Nutley/Lyndhurst... I think the areas are safer over all. And you're still very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey