Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I agree. When you have attitudes like "voting for an independent is a wasted vote", what do you expect? I cannot tell you how many times I hear that. If all the people that said that voted independent-then maybe just maybe it would open up a few eyes and ears with these politicians. Maybe one or both of the major parties would actually wake up and realize it is still "we the people" and who knows-over a few election cycles the number of people willing to have the guts to challenge and vote for a viable independent candidate-who knows what would happen. Maybe it would force the two major parties to get back to reality a little more-who knows? The only thing that we do know is blindly going to the polls like sheep and doing things the same way changes nothing.
for the most part, IMO, the generation of the last 25 years leaves a lot to be desired. If you think about the "Greatest Generation" (WWII) and even the baby boomers or the Vietnam generation, they all seem to want change and made it happen, from Civil Rights to Roe vs Wade, they were a generation that did not stand by and let things happen while not doing anything, they got involved and participated in the process, can you say the Chicago 7? Where are this generations MLK's? (and Please folks, spare me the Osama banana crap) the Abbie Hoffman's? the Timothy Leary's? Instead today's generation is more intrigued by how much the Batman movie raked in this past w/e or what was "x" star wearing walking down the red carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I agree. When you have attitudes like "voting for an independent is a wasted vote", what do you expect? I cannot tell you how many times I hear that. If all the people that said that voted independent-then maybe just maybe it would open up a few eyes and ears with these politicians. Maybe one or both of the major parties would actually wake up and realize it is still "we the people" and who knows-over a few election cycles the number of people willing to have the guts to challenge and vote for a viable independent candidate-who knows what would happen. Maybe it would force the two major parties to get back to reality a little more-who knows? The only thing that we do know is blindly going to the polls like sheep and doing things the same way changes nothing.
First take into account how many Americans DON'T even vote. The percentages are horrible. We get giddy over "high" turnouts that would be considered paultry in other countries. And while I agree with you - I'd like to see more candidates - the truth is, it does just give you a Nadar or Perot effect at this time.

AND honestly, I don't know of any Independent candidate out there that is really worthy of my vote anyway - it would be more of a protest vote. And I want my vote to be more than a protest.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Sadly, you know as well as I do, that's just wasting a vote.

Maybe so - but imagine if everyone who actually feels like they should vote for the independent did.....the independent would win. The "waste of a vote" theory is exactly what keeps people from voting for them. IMHO - if what we want is change.....we need to change

Old 07-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Maybe so - but imagine if everyone who actually feels like they should vote for the independent did.....the independent would win. The "waste of a vote" theory is exactly what keeps people from voting for them. IMHO - if what we want is change.....we need to change
I can tell that I will be in the minority here, but that's why I, in the primary, voted for Obama. Why? While he is a politician (they all are) he IS different, he does stand for change... and he is new so he is not firmly entrenched in the system ... yet... of course (I know, I'm cynical...how can you not be.)

BUT as I stood in the booth and was trying to decide between Hillary & Barak I said "I'm always saying I want a candidate who is different, a candidate who will speak truthfully, a candidate who wants change... and here I am thinking he's not as experienced, he may not have the same political connections, can he do it??? So I went with my heart and my gut.... and voted for the person I felt represented a change more than the status quo.

And remember, I AM the one who gave from DaSack advice to STAND UP for what HE beleives in regardless of what others think... so I'm doing the same. lol

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
I agree... but the truth is that as things stand now, with funding and press coverage, etc... there is really NO way a 3rd party candidate can win. So at this point all a 3rd party does is tend to steal votes from one of the other 2 candidates.... and then you COULD end up with the candidate that you feel is the worse of the 2 evils. It's not my opinion, it's reality... what did Perot do in '92 and what did Nader do in '00. It's a fact.
Nader lost because he's excessive and viewed by the general public as a nutjob.

Perot lost because people lost faith in him because he kept "dropping out" of the race.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Nader lost because he's excessive and viewed by the general public as a nutjob.

Perot lost because people lost faith in him because he kept "dropping out" of the race.
I don't think either ever really had a chance of winning, do you? Polls never showed them with a significant majority of the votes. However, they both pulled enough from other major candidates to have an outcome in the election...even if it is one that they themselves may have not wanted.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Quote:
I don't think either ever really had a chance of winning, do you? Polls never showed them with a significant majority of the votes. However, they both pulled enough from other major candidates to have an outcome in the election...even if it is one that they themselves may have not wanted.

Maybe THEY wouldn't have had as much of a chance as the independent would today. We weren't in the position then that we are now. I believe we are in trouble in America, and something's gotta give. Voting is the only way I can make a stand right now. Getting into the feared "oh no...Politics" discussion is how I can hear how others are thinking. This is too important of an election to not stand for what you think. I think both Obama and McCain will be a bad choice. I think with either of them we will not see any POSITIVE changes. I know that "campaigning" for the independent is risky - but it is more risky not to IMO. I think the people of NJ are realizing how important elections and standing up for change is with Sporzine in office. I know I have.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
I can tell that I will be in the minority here, but that's why I, in the primary, voted for Obama. Why? While he is a politician (they all are) he IS different, he does stand for change... and he is new so he is not firmly entrenched in the system ... yet... of course (I know, I'm cynical...how can you not be.)

BUT as I stood in the booth and was trying to decide between Hillary & Barak I said "I'm always saying I want a candidate who is different, a candidate who will speak truthfully, a candidate who wants change... and here I am thinking he's not as experienced, he may not have the same political connections, can he do it??? So I went with my heart and my gut.... and voted for the person I felt represented a change more than the status quo.

And remember, I AM the one who gave from DaSack advice to STAND UP for what HE beleives in regardless of what others think... so I'm doing the same. lol
well, WE'RE in the minority. i just don't bother discussing politics or religion (for the most part) because it's like shouting to a brick (on both sides), LOL.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Maybe THEY wouldn't have had as much of a chance as the independent would today. We weren't in the position then that we are now. I believe we are in trouble in America, and something's gotta give. Voting is the only way I can make a stand right now. Getting into the feared "oh no...Politics" discussion is how I can hear how others are thinking. This is too important of an election to not stand for what you think. I think both Obama and McCain will be a bad choice. I think with either of them we will not see any POSITIVE changes. I know that "campaigning" for the independent is risky - but it is more risky not to IMO. I think the people of NJ are realizing how important elections and standing up for change is with Sporzine in office. I know I have.
So what independent are you supporting?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
well, WE'RE in the minority. i just don't bother discussing politics or religion (for the most part) because it's like shouting to a brick (on both sides), LOL.
I am glad I have someone on my side here! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey