Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 PM

87 posts, read 350,864 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I was going into my backyard this evening and when I went to open the sliding glass door, I heard a little rattle, like something small falling, and then the door got stuck in the shut position (I know, better than open). Anyway, I checked the track the best I could and it looks clear. So it looks like something's up with the lock.

I went to Home Depot, they told me that if I removed the handle, I would be able to at least get the door open. Well, after about an hour of trying to unscrew the two screws for the handle, I was able to remove it. But the door still does not open. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, who would I call? I don't think it's a locksmith since it's not a traditional deadbolt, but who knows?

I'm only 2 months into home ownership, so I'm just learning. Any ideas are so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:41 PM

687 posts, read 3,242,946 times
Sliding glass doors are notorious for this kind of nonsense. We've had issues with ours in two new homes. I'd just call the window people and have them come out to fix--you'll have to sooner or later anyway.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,524,546 times
It's so hard to say from here. But your first mistake was asking the minimum wage no-nothing clerks in Home Depot. You know more then they do and that I can promise you.

If you took off the handle there should be 2 or 3 holes. The handle you have might have a square peg sort of a thing. If you do then look where it went into. It went into one hole, probably the middle one. If you stick a flat head screwdriver into it and turn it in the proper direction you will unlock it.

The only other possibility is if the wheel or wheels inside the slider door broke in a strange sorta way and pinneed the door with the track. If this is the case then that door should still slide under exessive pressure but dont push on the glass directly too hard. Try gently prying with a flat chisel without doing any damage. The door is very heavy even though you dont feel it when those wheels are properly working.

I think it is the lock as rare as it is.

Try again with that handle thing and get back to us.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:31 AM

87 posts, read 350,864 times
Well, I realized I was in over my head. I went to a hardware/locksmith shop first thing this a.m., figuring they could help either way. Amazingly, they sent someone out this morning, who came on time and was able to fix it. Turns out a pin had fallen through. The door, which the repairman told me was pretty new (and I really like it because it has the shades in the door), may end up needing a new lock in the long term, but for now, I can get outside!

As such, I must commend Trygar's in South River for their prompt service.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey