Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 25,619 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I’m a female, recent grad living in Mount Vernon, NY. I just accepted a job right by the Newport/Pavonia Path train station. My current commute time is about 90+ minutes during rush hour. So I’m currently interested in cutting that commute time down, as much as I can.

I’m looking to rent in Jersey City, or as close as I can get, ASAP. The biggest problem I’m having is that I don’t drive, so I’ll have to be close to public transportation. After scouring through threads on this site, I’m finding the Hamilton Park section most attractive, due to it’s proximity to my new job.

My current budget is about $1200 - $1400/month, which I know is a little difficult in that area. So I’ve also started looking as far north as the North Bergen area, and as far east as the Nutley/Belleville area. I’m also interested in keeping my commute time under an hour. I definitely need something quiet and safe. A few times a month, I’ll have to be at work by 6/7 AM, and won’t be leaving until 7/8pm.

Bottom line is, I’m really interested in staying in Jersey City, but judging from the threads, it will be difficult to find something safe, within my budget. What are some suggestions for places to look in Jersey City, or its surrounding towns/counties, that fall within my guidelines

- Close (i.e. very short walking distance)to public transportation
- Short commute (<1 hour), to Pavonia/Newport
- 1 or 2br - Between $1200 - $1400 monthly rent (possibly including utilities)
- Safe, quiet neighborhood
- Close to shops (grocery, target/walmart/k-mart
- Possibly close to nightlife (not necessary, but definitely a plus)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:25 AM

87 posts, read 351,738 times
I used to rent in the Hamilton Park Condominiums on Jersey and 9th -- that sounds like it's right around your ideal location. I paid $1400 for a one bedroom, but that was about 2 years ago, so not sure what the going rate is. If it's still comparable, might be worth checking out.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:51 PM

13 posts, read 126,015 times
How long are you willing to commute? There are some good towns along the NJ transit lines that will take 30-40 minutes to get to Jersey City. For example, along the Raritan Valley line there is Cranford and Westfield. Both are very safe towns and have their own shopping districts in town. There is also Millburn on the Morris line. Rent is around $900-$1000 for a 1 bedroom. Most apartments in these areas are duplexes.

Ron
Property Tax Search

Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
Can anyone here comment on Bayonne? I heard some sections are going through gentrification and rents are OK. Plus the new HBLRT train to JC is there as well.
Also how is nightlife/da' scene in Bayonne nowadays?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
Default nice places very close by

in jersey city, you should check out the western slope section or the downtown(newport/exchange place) areas. there is also edgewater, parts of west new york, hoboken(almost all of hoboken; in general closer to the water the better). Have you considered splitting a place with another person?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Wow...I wasn't expecting such prompt replies. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdurett View Post
I used to rent in the Hamilton Park Condominiums on Jersey and 9th -- that sounds like it's right around your ideal location. I paid $1400 for a one bedroom, but that was about 2 years ago, so not sure what the going rate is. If it's still comparable, might be worth checking out.
Thanks, i'll definitely check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distec View Post
How long are you willing to commute? There are some good towns along the NJ transit lines that will take 30-40 minutes to get to Jersey City.

Ron
Property Tax Search
I was hoping to have a commute no longer than 1 hour, door-to-door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothome View Post
in jersey city, you should check out the western slope section or the downtown(newport/exchange place) areas. there is also edgewater, parts of west new york, hoboken(almost all of hoboken; in general closer to the water the better). Have you considered splitting a place with another person?
Having a roommate is out of the question for me. Which is definitely making this search a bit harder. I actually started my search looking around the areas you've suggested, and found them all to be out of my price range.

Thanks for your suggestions again. Please keep 'em coming.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Follow-up

Wow...I wasn't expecting such prompt replies. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothome View Post
Having a roommate is out of the question for me. Which is definitely making this search a bit harder. I actually started my search looking around the areas you've suggested, and found them all to be out of my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by distec View Post
How long are you willing to commute? There are some good towns along the NJ transit lines that will take 30-40 minutes to get to Jersey City.

Ron
Property Tax Search
I was hoping to have a commute no longer than 1 hour, door-to-door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdurett View Post
Thanks, i'll definitely check them out.

Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at a few realtor sites, that have openings within society hill within my price range. I did a little research on the area, and it seems to be pretty decent until you have to leave the complex.

How reliable is the A&C bus, considering I would have to leave at 6am on the first bus, in order to make it work on time. Would this be possible? I would rather take this bus, than the njtransit provided busses.

Could anyone else weigh in on the frequency, of 1br/1ba society hill apts opening up? Also any idea of what average monthly utility expenses would be, is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 PM

141 posts, read 383,013 times
You can definitely find apartments in the $1200-$1400 range in downtown Jersey City. I just found one for $1300, and looked at several in that price range. All shown by realtors. Seems like $1250 or above is the going rate for a decent apartment in downtown, go much under that and you start to find various forms of decrepitude or problems. Or at least that was my experience.

I had a day and a half to find and secure an apartment in downtown JC within your price range and was able to do so quickly and fairly easily. No reason you'd need to pay more than your range to find a good apartment. My recommendation is to go with a realtor and suck up paying the fee--I think it's worth it, if you have it to pay. You can tell them exactly what you're looking for and look at several options that meet your criteria fairly quickly. Otherwise, keep your eye on Craigslist.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 PM

141 posts, read 383,013 times
I loved working with these folks:

Armagno Agency - Jersey City Real Estate, Sales, Brownstones, Rentals, Apartments, Relocation, Management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey