U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 51,705 times
Default Safe parts of Union City?

Are there any?

Last week I went out to have a look at the Doric at 100 Manhattan Ave. The block the building was on looked safe enough, if a little desolate. But then I wandered off a few blocks and found myself in the hood.

I checked out the Union City crime statistics on city data and they don't look bad at all, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the place. Are some parts safer than others, and if so, which parts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 03:59 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,917,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
Are there any?

Last week I went out to have a look at the Doric at 100 Manhattan Ave. The block the building was on looked safe enough, if a little desolate. But then I wandered off a few blocks and found myself in the hood.

I checked out the Union City crime statistics on city data and they don't look bad at all, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the place. Are some parts safer than others, and if so, which parts?

Thanks in advance.
My husband grew up in UC and I lived near the border in JC a good portion of my life. We both left the area 16 yrs ago and you couldn't pay us to move back. We do go back during daytime hours to get food, my husband still gets his hair cut there, and stuff like that. During the daytime, it's not the safest place in the world, but it's not too awful. But at night, I would not be there. I don't get crime stats, I think a lot of things just go unreported and then they don't show up. Remember, there are a lot of illegal immigrants in that area, if they are the victims of crime, they often will not involve the police. My friend is a UCPD and he tells me some pretty grim stories. I know there is a lot of gang activity in the area - mostly South and Central American gangs that are now here.

It's a pretty small town, so I don't think there is really any one area that is better/worse...

Question: The Doric, as far as I remember, was in Jersey City. It had a "sister" building called Troy Towers in Union City. Both were by the viadoct that led to Hoboken.

If you want to stay in that area for some reason I would reccomend North Bergen up by 80th Street Park in what is called "the racetrack section." It is still not God's country, but you'll be a lot better off.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM

874 posts, read 2,630,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
My husband grew up in UC and I lived near the border in JC a good portion of my life. We both left the area 16 yrs ago and you couldn't pay us to move back. We do go back during daytime hours to get food, my husband still gets his hair cut there, and stuff like that. During the daytime, it's not the safest place in the world, but it's not too awful. But at night, I would not be there. I don't get crime stats, I think a lot of things just go unreported and then they don't show up. Remember, there are a lot of illegal immigrants in that area, if they are the victims of crime, they often will not involve the police. My friend is a UCPD and he tells me some pretty grim stories. I know there is a lot of gang activity in the area - mostly South and Central American gangs that are now here.

It's a pretty small town, so I don't think there is really any one area that is better/worse...

Question: The Doric, as far as I remember, was in Jersey City. It had a "sister" building called Troy Towers in Union City. Both were by the viadoct that led to Hoboken.

If you want to stay in that area for some reason I would reccomend North Bergen up by 80th Street Park in what is called "the racetrack section." It is still not God's country, but you'll be a lot better off.
OP, take this advice..she's absolutely correct!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 87,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
OP, take this advice..she's absolutely correct!
Not "God's country?" Can someone elaborate? What would make it "God's" country?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 PM

874 posts, read 2,630,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPh View Post
Not "God's country?" Can someone elaborate? What would make it "God's" country?
Sigh..EEPNJ..do you want to respond to this? Its not literal, Michael. We are just saying that its not exactly the safest place to be..and I'm saying this based upon my own experience..you know, growing up there n all. thats all.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,917,601 times
LOL - exactly Trish...it's a SAYING....

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 21,453 times
How is the 30th street and Bergenline Ave. area?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,419,816 times
I'd say not bad at all and you are right near major highways, lit up.

What is safe for some may not be for others. I have no problem being in Union City, but a girl friend is scared of it (but wants to move to brooklyn, go figure) so it may all be a state of mind.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 98,605 times
I live in Union City and I don't feel unsafe, whether it day or night.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,008,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyez84 View Post
I live in Union City and I don't feel unsafe, whether it day or night.
what part of UC ?

what ethnicity are you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey