U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM

244 posts, read 722,067 times
We will most likely be moving to NC. We have been researching for two years now, and have talked about it for about ten. What holds me back is my family. And the guilt trip I'm getting from everybody.

My son doesn't start kindergarten for another year and a half, so when I make the decision to go, it will be before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 68,001 times
Default I feel your pain

I really don't want to leave my family. I haven't even mentioned it to them yet. When my aunt moved to Fl- my mother was so depressed. I can't imagine what she will feel if I leave. I really don't know how bad I will be either. I have valid reasons for wanting to go, but . . .

Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 32,988 times
If I had my wish it would be South Carolina. But my husband's not in any hurry to leave NJ.

A lot of Jerseyans move to Delaware, I've heard.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM

562 posts, read 1,792,825 times
"you really can't fault any of us who are looking for a better life for trying."

I'm not saying not to look for a better life.. damn i think we all want that..

"You'd be surprised to find that in the areas in Charlotte, where schools are very good, prices of homes are very steadily climbing...soon to rival those prices in the Northeast!"

schools are very good b/c they are not as crowded as the ones in the metropolitan area.. oh and home are steadily climbing, because more and more people are moving there and within a few years it'll cost the towns more money to maintain those little towns which will lead to increase taxes..

more people means more students per class, leading to less quality of teaching in the classrooms.. if classrooms in the metro area could be limited to 20 students per teacher, the quality would be way better too..

yes now it's cheaper but in a few years it won't.. and house value will not climb as much as they cost in the metro area b/c people won't be able to afford them with the avg salary made in that area..

I'm sure everyone has thought about it twice.. damn I bought 2 lots in NC and still holding on construction.. waiting for prices to go higher.. I personally would not move.. but good luck to you all moving..

Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM

7,163 posts, read 11,862,398 times
WE are moving to union county NC and well my parents are devestaed, however they will just have to get over it...guilt trip isnt even 1/2 of it and my sister well that is another story as well, but my family consists of my husband and my children my parents and sister and brother in law have their own lives at the end of the day, and as close as we are we have to do what is best for our family to give them and us a better quality of life....I love my parents sister and nephew dearly and will miss them but at the end of the day the love and closeness isnt going to pay my bills or make the other people around us nicer....we really want a slower paced life and are just ready for new people to enter it if that makes sense...its more than just a financial decision for us..that does play a part but that isnt the MAIN reason we are moving..I cant wait and am very excited..good luck to all

Staci

Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,227,034 times
NJmomof2 - My family also isn't very happy with our move. But like I told them it isn't that far away - not like moving to CA, they could drive to SC. There are still pretty upset.

Our reason also isn't just "money", we wanted more of a family community and the development we picked has tons of kids.

I also am excited buy nervous!

Best of Luck on your move.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 AM

318 posts, read 842,706 times
Default NJmomof2- any bites?

I thought I saw on one of your posts that you thought you had an offer coming in from your open house....any news?

Also, I bet you could really do very well in Real Estate where you are going for several reasons: 1. You will most likely be able to prepare a more professional and compelling portrait of the property...I am sure you will be more sophisticated than the typical realtor in NC. 2. There obviously are alot of buyers moving into the area, and 3. You might be able to position yourself as a realtor who specializes in helping famillies "from the northeast"...relocate to NC...finding the perfect town for them, etc., based on having an understanding of where they are coming from.

I'm in Monmouth county also. In Oceanport. I know Jackson has gone threw the roof. I have a friend who owns a TOWNHOUSE in Jackson, and her taxes are $8,000! Great Adventure doesn't pay for that! I sold because my taxes went from $15,000 in 2005/6 to $22,000 for 2006/7 from the reassessment done last summer. $7,000 additional dollars...just like that!: I had lived in that house almost 15 years. mad:

Old 01-25-2007, 07:04 AM

318 posts, read 842,706 times
Default Here's the kicker, NJMOMof 2 and others who are selling

OK, yes, you can sell and walk away with a nice profit from your house. BUT...if you wanted to downsize and buy back into the same town (for the sake of your kid, for example).....it is absolutely sickening (I know, cuz I look at every single house on the market)....it is incredibly discouraging and outrageous WHAT you get for your money!!!!! I would say that almost EVERY single house I have looked at, the people are selling, AND moving out of state. Today in Oceanport, $600K gets you a typical, 30 year old ranch, 3bedrooms, no basement, 1 car garage, and MAYBE a 100x100 piece of property....with taxes of $8,000. I looked at a house for $650 on a 50x 75 piece of property and I tell you...it had maybe 10 feet of backyard! There is just no way!

So, no wonder, many of us look at our profit dollars, get a picture of what we could "get" to buy back in....and then compare that to what we could get in another state.....not to mention better weather in most cases. It's tough, but it is reality, and our papers scream it everyday! But there are still alot of very wealthy people in this state. Nobody would be on this board if it wasn't "difficult" to accept and make all of these major changes in our lives. But together, we support and encourage and congratulate one another on our new journeys together.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 AM

49 posts, read 138,513 times
Hey Nancy Lynne,
Saw on your post that you live in Oceanport. I used to live in Eatontown off of Main St. My wife and I used to walk down to Oceanport lake and sit on a bench in the duck **** many times. Except for the duck ****, what a beautiful place. You can just sit there in quiet and whatch an occasional boat go by. Is that small resturant still in business or did it go under? I forget the name. We used to go to the new video store that opened up. I miss Jersey but we sold our house at the peak of the real estate boom and made out well. Oh well!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,227,034 times
We also use to live in Eatontown, we just sold a townhouse that we use to live in this year.

I love the area and being close to the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey