Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,576,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
If this is the one who's been hit by the truck, the case was settled awhile ago, I believe.

I believe the reason why Wal-Mart sued her is because she was double-dipping.

The problem with the internet now is that anyone with a video camera and an editing program can make videos. And skew them any way they want. (Loose Change, anyone?)

There are always two sides to every story. It's up to you to make the decision about research.

The only thing I shop at Wal-Mart for is their photo developing. They have a nice FUJI matte process that I like a lot. When we sent our our thank you cards from our wedding, Wal-Mart helped us cut up over 150 wallet size pictures to include in the cards. That was good customer service.

Other than that, Wal-Mart's a disaster and I like Target a lot better.
She wasn't double dipping. She received a small settlement from the responsible party and Walmart wanted the money back that they spent on her medical bills! It would be the same as if you or I was in a serious car accident and we sued the repsonsible party and say NJBCBS or AETNA asked for their money back that they spend on hospital bills. The money this woman received is barely enough to cover future health care! It's disgusting! And to top it off...they lost their 18 yr son in Iraq after he was only there for 2 weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,874,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
And to top it off...they lost their 18 yr son in Iraq after he was only there for 2 weeks!
That should have no bearing on your feelings of the lawsuit.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
That should have no bearing on your feelings of the lawsuit.
It doesn't..I was just adding that in because I feel so bad for that family!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM

179 posts, read 705,260 times
Too bad that the documentary on Target, Home Depot, Lowes etc, has not been written yet.......then you could compare.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
Too bad that the documentary on Target, Home Depot, Lowes etc, has not been written yet.......then you could compare.
They are all "category killers"... seems to to be the future for this country - monopoly!. If you have any insight on the others - please share. I know Home Depot used to be very good to their employees...I also know over the past few years, the pay has dropped but it's still better than the likes of Walmart!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,933,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through a book called "The Small-mart Revolution", which delves into why these corporate giants in all industries are not good for our economy. The problem is, many people think that there is no alternative and that you can't compete with these companies. Fortunately, reality says that you can if you're smart about how you do it. So far the book is very good- I'll post more once I finish it.
That sounds great, I'll have to read that.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
She wasn't double dipping. She received a small settlement from the responsible party and Walmart wanted the money back that they spent on her medical bills! It would be the same as if you or I was in a serious car accident and we sued the repsonsible party and say NJBCBS or AETNA asked for their money back that they spend on hospital bills. The money this woman received is barely enough to cover future health care! It's disgusting! And to top it off...they lost their 18 yr son in Iraq after he was only there for 2 weeks!
It was a BS clause in their medical insurance policy - it is stupid. It was pathetic and Wal-Mart only did the right thing becuase of bad press...so thank God for the press in this instance. Here is a mentally disabled woman who has very little means and has to get by the rest of her life on a paltry payout and they want their hands in the cookie jar. DISGUSTING. Typical of corporate America today though.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,684,109 times
Quote:

She was, indeed, double dipping.

Here's what happened:

Wal-Mart paid for her medical expenses after the accident. When she sued the trucking company, she sued them for medical expenses. That's where the problem is.

And guess what?

Wal-Mart said she could keep the money anyway because of the bad press they got.

This proves my point: do your research before you make a decision instead of watching skewed video clips. Just because they are a "documentary" doesn't make them up to date or based in fact. Loose Change is an example.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
They are all "category killers"... seems to to be the future for this country - monopoly!. If you have any insight on the others - please share. I know Home Depot used to be very good to their employees...I also know over the past few years, the pay has dropped but it's still better than the likes of Walmart!
As I said in my last comment.... corporate america today is all about the fat pigs at the top getting the more than ever and trying to see how they can screw every person along the way. It's sad, but it is true. So while there may be a few examples here and there, there really are not any "good" corporations.

That said... Wal-Mart is ESPECIALLY bad. And the sad thing is that they really started off as a much different company - but along the way - man did they get lost.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,684,109 times
For what it's worth, how bad is their lawyer? A truck hits you, permanently damages you, and all you get is 700K? That's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey