Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 64,686 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the height/type restrictions on installing a vinyl fence in Jersey City? I'm thinking 6 ft high white vinyl fence in the rear portion of my backyard which already has an old wired fence seperating the neighbor's yard from mine. (They have a wooden fence on their property as well), but lately they have been dumping their garbage into my yard. I didn't have it cleaned up so there was high grass/weeds/rocks so they are using it as a trash can.

Is 6ft OK to be installed in the rear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,598,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhouse10 View Post
Does anyone know the height/type restrictions on installing a vinyl fence in Jersey City? I'm thinking 6 ft high white vinyl fence in the rear portion of my backyard which already has an old wired fence seperating the neighbor's yard from mine. (They have a wooden fence on their property as well), but lately they have been dumping their garbage into my yard. I didn't have it cleaned up so there was high grass/weeds/rocks so they are using it as a trash can.

Is 6ft OK to be installed in the rear?
You need to go to city hall..construction and or building department and ask them for their specific code. Most twps. allow up to 6-feet on residential..10-feet on commercial. If you have a corner lot and want to install a fence in the front yard..street lines - 18-inches max. for the height in most towns.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM

69 posts, read 312,997 times
You can call the town's building department. Every town is a little bit different, and as the other poster stated, there are often restrictions based on the location (corner lot, etc.)

Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM

42 posts, read 175,067 times
i believe 6ft is the max for residential.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Yes, posting it so it may help someone else too, you don't need a permit for residential in NJ if the height is 6ft or less and it isn't for pool.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,082 times
Default Love my fence

OK I admit it. I love my fence. He's 6 ft tall, very white vinyl, strong, big posts and caps on every post, he surrounds my yard and protects us from harm.....He's always home even when my husband is not. He gives us privacy from our nosy neighbors too.

I'm just joking, I don't need professional help....yet.

One of the best investments we made.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhouse10 View Post
Yes, posting it so it may help someone else too, you don't need a permit for residential in NJ if the height is 6ft or less and it isn't for pool.
I want to put up a fence too. My next door neighbors have a pool and a metal fence (the kind you can see thru) and they are noisy. the fence is low like 4ft. what should be the fence for pool?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
OK I admit it. I love my fence. He's 6 ft tall, very white vinyl, strong, big posts and caps on every post, he surrounds my yard and protects us from harm.....He's always home even when my husband is not. He gives us privacy from our nosy neighbors too.

I'm just joking, I don't need professional help....yet.

One of the best investments we made.
me thinks same! The white vinyl fence looks beautiful and hides our stupid neighbor's wrecked fence and increases our property value. Our backyard is surrounded by three other backyards the one in the back was the problem, they dumped their dead dog in my backyard and used to throw some other trash too. Not anymore, now it's 6 Ft. high nice looking fence. One of the best investments we made!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafios View Post
I want to put up a fence too. My next door neighbors have a pool and a metal fence (the kind you can see thru) and they are noisy. the fence is low like 4ft. what should be the fence for pool?
Do YOU have a pool? Are you installing fence around your pool? If you do, then you should call the Building department and ask (in NJ it's all Statewide codes not city anymore, I think).

If you don't have a pool, you can install upto 6 ft. high fence without permit (unless it is an out of ordinary types). That is what I was told. Hope that helps.

If you're in NJ and need the phone number to call let me know, too lazy too look it up right now and have to get to work!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Dumped their dead dog? What kind of a person would do that?!?!?

Does anyone have a good fence person in Monmouth County? We're having trouble finding someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey