Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
We've always had quotas and preferential treatment; when whites are beneficiaries we don't seem to think it's a problem.....
Your point?? Whites are no where near the beneficiaries that they once were, especially males in the "normal" work force. I'm not talking CEO's here just the average joes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,512,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I think anyone looking for a job right now is in that same boat!

What's your field?? Fierce competitive field??
Not really; just a field where there aren't a lot of jobs anymore; I will say that things did improve for me after I changed my field slightly and the work streamed in after that.........but during the 6-plus years I was out of work, life was absolute hell, and I would get mad when I heard white men complaining about losing jobs to minorities, because I had seen so many cases where incompetent white males were allowed to have high positions, or sat pretty in not-so-high positions while minorities either couldn't get jobs at all or were micromanaged to death......

Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Not really; just a field where there aren't a lot of jobs anymore; I will say that things did improve for me after I changed my field slightly and the work streamed in after that.........but during the 6-plus years I was out of work, life was absolute hell, and I would get mad when I heard white men complaining about losing jobs to minorities, because I had seen so many cases where incompetent white males were allowed to have high positions, or sat pretty in not-so-high positions while minorities either couldn't get jobs at all or were micromanaged to death......
depends on your field....in my company you have to be a minority to get noticed.
Lost many good IT workers to Indians & Pakistanians who come over on a work visa because supposedly we don't have enough qualified people here in the US...that's BS..there are plenty of unemployed IT workers out there...I guess we get the foreign people cheaper

Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
Quote:
so if there are no quotas nor preferential treatment, how do you ensure fairness? I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with you, just wanting your opinion.
So what you're telling me is, minorities are so inferior that they are incapable of getting jobs on their own?

Minorities can't play golf, run for president, can't be fortune 500 ceo's? The owner of my company is a minority. Its a multinational corporation. I work with people of all races - actually, there is only 1 white person in our accounting dept.

So again.... are you so incapable of getting a job on your own because of your qualifications that the government needs to step in and force companies to look to less qualified people to fill a position?

There are quite a few qualified minorities who are as disgusted by this as me.

And njate, I'm all for being fair, and limiting the creation of silly laws - thats across the board

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Asians are not considered minorities for affirmative action. Read carefully on the scholarship/college/grad school admissions...

"UNDERREPRESENTED" minorities.

So being a brown women, if you're not African American or Native American, does you no good. Except maybe the woman part sometimes.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Asians are not considered minorities for affirmative action. Read carefully on the scholarship/college/grad school admissions...

So being a brown women, if you're not African American or Native American, does you no good. Except maybe the woman part sometimes.

YEs, you are correct, but then again most Asians are highly educated, they don't need the bar lowered

Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Who cares?

Not me. Because the fact of the matter is, someone is being given an unfair advantage due to some "minority feature". Its crap.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
I think you are confusing AA with EO
no i'm not. AA is for the benefit of women also. you may have benefited without even knowing.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 AM

8,578 posts, read 9,047,409 times
Quote:
depends on your field....in my company you have to be a minority to get noticed.
Lost many good IT workers to Indians & Pakistanians who come over on a work visa because supposedly we don't have enough qualified people here in the US...that's BS..there are plenty of unemployed IT workers out there...I guess we get the foreign people cheaper
You are correct. Has anyone noticed a pattern in work related issues these last few decades? I think I have and it goes something like this. Woman and minorities are oppressed, find ways to get them in the workforce. Nothing wrong with this but now in most cases a family with children need dual incomes in order to maintain middle class status. This was not the case in the early 70s. Break the unions. Union membership has fallen in the US to all time lows. Outsource manufacturing jobs. This has removed millions of jobs out of the US, two million alone under Bush, how many under Clinton? It is said that by outsourcing, better jobs will be available to Americans such as customer service jobs. The problem with this is it doesn't appear to be enough seats at the table, does it and why should there be? Maintain an open border policy while pretending otherwise. This floods the workforce with cheap labor forcing many blue collar Americans out of their field because it no longer pays the bills or unable to compete with companies that hire illegals. I was watching a speech several months ago by Al Gore about global warming. He stated that Americans need to lower their standard of living in order to comply with new laws that will soon be imposed on the American public in order to control global warming. In the 1960s there were approximately 3000 lobbyist in Washington, now there are over 40,000 lobbyist, spending hundreds of millions of dollars influencing Congress. See the bipartisan pattern? We as Americans have been played by the old tactic "divide and conquer, Blacks, whites, females, males, liberals, conservatives etc. should be pointing their fingers at Congress not each other.
I will state that I'm a conservative and have been paying taxes since 1971.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no i'm not. AA is for the benefit of women also. you may have benefited without even knowing.
Nope....never had the bar lowered trust me! First of all i would not apply for a job I'm not qualified for aand hope they give it to me because I'm female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey