Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 AM

141 posts, read 383,121 times

Advertisements

The realtor who helped me find my apartment gave me an application for zone parking in downtown JC, and I was wondering if anyone familiar with the process could clarify some things for me before I call the number on the application tomorrow.

My car is registered out-of-state and I will not be able to register it in-state (this first year, at least) for many reasons. Though this means I will have to pay more, it apparently looks like I can still get a parking permit. But the form also asks for a W-2, and I'm wondering if, as a non-working student who is neither working or attending school in JC, I'm going to run into problems. The form also asks for confirmation from a "merchant, employer, or school" in the zoned area, and I'm wondering what this is about. Whom do I seek out to fill out and sign this part of the application? What is the reason for this?

Any help and info that you all can share is greatly appreciated. I need to make the decision as to whether or not to bring my car fairly rapidly, as if I don't, I'm going to have to go with a rental car or fly up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
These people are eligible for parking permits:

Residents who live in the zone
Employees work in the zone
Students attend school in the zone

(Hence the need for confirmation from a school or employer if you're applying as a student or employee).

Bring a copy of your apartment lease and/or a PSE&G bill to the JCPA office. That is sufficient proof of residence for "New Residents."

Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Thank you, lammius. So I take it I don't need a local merchant to fill out that part as long as I bring a copy of my lease with me?

Also, I'm going to be driving my car up, and probably won't have my lease signed until I'm up there. If this is indeed the case, can I park on the street at all without a permit, perhaps for an hour or so at a time? I'll probably have all this sorted out within the first day or so, but I'm hoping to avoid getting a parking ticket that first day if at all possible!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
No, just have your lease, you drivers license, the application, and a check or money order for the application fee.

The signs on the street read, "2 HR PARKING EXCEPT ZONE (X) PERMIT," so without a permit you are allowed to park on the street for up to 2 hours at a time.

The JC Parking Authority has a really juvenile-looking website, which may have some helpful info for you. http://www.jcparking.org/

And here's a map of downtown zones that will help you figure out where you'll be able to park with your permit: http://newyorkssixth.com/newyorkssix...-zone-map.html

Last edited by lammius; 08-03-2008 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 PM

Okay, that's very clear. Thanks, lammius.

Looks like the zone map and the PDF file listing zones and addresses on the JC Parking Authority site say something different, so it will be interesting to see which zone I'm in.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
When I first moved to JC I remember going to the DMV to get the address on my license changed...lammius you don't have to do that anymore, to prove residency?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:39 AM

138 posts, read 610,532 times
Yeah, I agree with Tommy. When I moved to JC three years ago, I had to get the address changed on my license. Also, Nomad - if you want to stay more than 2 hours without a permit, you have to move your car to another zone, NOT just to another spot. My boyfriend got booted once because we only moved the car from 4th St. to 5th St.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Good info all, thanks.

Given that my driver's license is a Virginia license, I would need to be registered in Jersey to be able to change my address to a local address, and I can't do that for a number of reasons. The application allows for "non-resident" parking at a higher rate, which is what I figure I will need to do--even though I'll be living in JC, I and my car won't be registered there. I don't know, I probably just need to call.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Okay, apparently the non-resident permit for the extra fee is only for people who work, but don't live, in Jersey City. If I'm going to get a parking permit, I'm going to need to re-register and get a NJ driver's license.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,736 times
Stephanie your last post is correct - you will need a NJ drivers license AND an NJ registration, BOTH with an address in Jersey City. I know it sucks but honestly if the city wasn't so difficult with parking there wouldn't be any spots as there would be countless commuters parking on the street and taking the PATH into NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey