U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,916 times
Cool Sooooo frustrated

I'm at my wits end! My husband works full time and I am off school for a semster while caring for our infant. The problem is I cannot seem to find an affordable apartment in a decent area. (By affordable I mean 2 bedrooms for less than 1,000.00. I have lived in other parts of the country and in most places 1000.00 gets you decent digs.) But here, whenever I see something advertised that I can before its in some crap neighborhood. Besides move away after grad school, which is my option of last resort, I really don't know what to do-are there any nice affordable towns that I just don't know about? Please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 PM

219 posts, read 719,032 times
Bayonne is decent.. its not great but you van get a lot with 1000 2bd... i mean if your talkin' northe jersey.

Crime isnt bad in bayonne and it has a lot to do.. hmm lyndhurst too is really good but you can do more in Bayonne and find more.

my area hackensack... but i never find listings here for some reason, it being the most populated city in bergen county.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,487,338 times
What area are looking for an apt in NJ? It's says you're in Newark, so you have to be in Essex county?

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM

2,679 posts, read 4,360,355 times
Try Belleville.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,431,756 times
Your from Westchester. Very expensive but at least it is safe and mostly nice. Newark you might need an Elephant rifle with extra ammo strapped over your shoulders to protect yourself. And you will still pay that much for a rotten hole to rent there.

You are in Newark, NJ now. Nothing is cheap in NJ, anywhere. Newark is cheaper but the crime and overall surroundings will be reason enough to live in fear.

In due time some one more familiar with that area will give you some better places then Newark but cheap you will not find anywhere in Bergen, Essex, Hudson Cty. areas.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,533,712 times
Try lodi, moonachie, woodridge, kearny, harrison, secaucus, cliffside park, ridgefields

Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,215,904 times
New Jersey has a shortage of apartments, always has. Therefor, rents have always been high. I had a two bedroom before my move to Florida, was the downstairs of a two family..huge apt. with sunroom, deck and nice big fenced yard. It did need some work though...not a great landlord! I got my rent raised from 1,000 to 1300.00 and that was three years ago. That apt. rent now is probably over 1500.00
Here in Florida you can rent a whole nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home for 1100.00 and under depending on the city.
N.J. priced me out..had to make a move south!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
I am looking to move out of Florida back to Newark and the surrounding area I would advise you to look on the hud website and they have some subsidized listings there that are local to Newark and try rpm management...Newark is not that serious...I lived there in and out all of my life...they have reasonable prices in the subsidized list one of the places only required that you be on the job for 1yr...Florida sucks I have a 3/3 with all the amenities to be an old lady...rent is 1200 plus water plus sewer plus electric um about 1700..lets not mention eveyrday living....oh yeah fulltime up north is 9-5 full time here is 9-6 no union no gaurantee of nothing...everyone has a scam ...grocery store is high..the taxes are high....oh and did I mention you have to drive cross country for the simple things in life....on and how about i dedicate 55hr work week and only get paid for 40 ....adding the 45 min. getting there and back....when in Newark you save money because of all the convieninces are so close they don't tax food and water bill to renters don't exist and oh did I mention that you can still have a life at the end of the day......oh and lets not leave out the I am so bored I need a man lonely women down here that are not girlfeiend material unless you are negative lonely like them or have ..gossip .....and I just learned this stuff by observing...north are in your face southerners are behind your back....it isn't as bad as you think it is....I have lived in severl places and with the ghetto and all Newark is number one

Old 09-02-2008, 06:15 PM

7,577 posts, read 14,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannamove gurl View Post
I'm at my wits end! My husband works full time and I am off school for a semster while caring for our infant. The problem is I cannot seem to find an affordable apartment in a decent area. (By affordable I mean 2 bedrooms for less than 1,000.00. I have lived in other parts of the country and in most places 1000.00 gets you decent digs.) But here, whenever I see something advertised that I can before its in some crap neighborhood. Besides move away after grad school, which is my option of last resort, I really don't know what to do-are there any nice affordable towns that I just don't know about? Please let me know.
Look west and south...where do you have to commute to?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM

1,508 posts, read 4,173,443 times
Question Need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannamove gurl View Post
There are many little towns in Middlesex County that I would suggest but you didn't indicate where you needed to live. Where does hubby work? Do you need to be near mass transit? Give us some more info and maybe we can help. Do you have any family in NJ that you might need to live near for support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey