U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:15 PM

893 posts, read 1,712,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunately, college doesn't always mean a decent life. Yeah, I'm still young, I plan on getting my Master's...and possibly my phD. Doesn't mean I will make it and not be poor. I know a handful of people with degrees that are working in grocery stores, fast food, or other menial jobs they couldn't care less about if it weren't for the need to pay bills.
True, but hopefully that wont happen to me. If it does, I think I will just mooch off my parents for the rest of my life haha. But seriously, those are my goals and hopefully I will be able to reach em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
EB2

1,930 posts, read 3,636,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
True, but hopefully that wont happen to me. If it does, I think I will just mooch off my parents for the rest of my life haha. But seriously, those are my goals and hopefully I will be able to reach em.
I wasn't meaning to attack you, and if I did, I do apologize.

I just try to be realistic in many situations. I guess it's just the way I was raised.

I hope I reach my goals, too. I guess that's just one of my biggest fears: getting 150K+ invested in schooling, loving the subject, and not being able to make the most of myself.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM

5,343 posts, read 8,663,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Aaaahh to be young and full of optimism. I remember those days.
I miss those days myself... I've become old and jaded.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunately, college doesn't always mean a decent life. Yeah, I'm still young, I plan on getting my Master's...and possibly my phD. Doesn't mean I will make it and not be poor. I know a handful of people with degrees that are working in grocery stores, fast food, or other menial jobs they couldn't care less about if it weren't for the need to pay bills.
College today = what HS was 20 yrs ago...especially in these parts. Unless you specialize and have connections, it doesn't mean a whole lot!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Plan WHAT you will study - and then know you have to be flexible.

My generation was told COMPUTERS ARE IT. So many of my friends went to college as Computer Science majors... and had jobs ... that were all offshored to India. So they had to go into other fields.

I'm probably going to do the same thing, because while my field (HR) is not totally dead yet, it ain't what it used to be. The prospect of "starting over" at 39 does not excite me in any way, shape or form... but you do what you have to do. Flexibility is key today.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I wasn't meaning to attack you, and if I did, I do apologize.

I just try to be realistic in many situations. I guess it's just the way I was raised.

I hope I reach my goals, too. I guess that's just one of my biggest fears: getting 150K+ invested in schooling, loving the subject, and not being able to make the most of myself.

What is your field?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM

893 posts, read 1,712,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Plan WHAT you will study - and then know you have to be flexible.

My generation was told COMPUTERS ARE IT. So many of my friends went to college as Computer Science majors... and had jobs ... that were all offshored to India. So they had to go into other fields.

I'm probably going to do the same thing, because while my field (HR) is not totally dead yet, it ain't what it used to be. The prospect of "starting over" at 39 does not excite me in any way, shape or form... but you do what you have to do. Flexibility is key today.
I'm actually planning on studying Computer Science and if that dosen't work out I will study Biology. Meaning, if I find comp sci to be boring Biology is what I'm going to major in. Than med school if I go the biology path. My dreams to work with Google or be a pediatrician

Old 08-05-2008, 07:11 PM

36 posts, read 84,365 times
Unfortunately, or fortunately, "fair" is for seven year olds. My advice to young people is to get the best education and/or trade/skill you can in an industry that will still be around in 30 years. You've got to work hard and fight for it and not allow yourself or your family to settle for less than.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM

219 posts, read 703,562 times
Yea i know bergen is ridic.. but thats why in my post i said Bayonne seems awesome.. in Hudson county... I've seen the rent there and im glad to see how low it is..

I just dont know really anything about it. I want to move there when i move out after high school.. and yes im goin to college in Rutgers if i can..BUT FIRST i gotta go thru bergen community in paramus...

but yes NYC seems good, and i have many connections there in the bronx... but like i said, im from jersey, Hackensack.. and been here all my life.. i'd never leave.

Yes i'd leave the county but my point is North Jersey Counties dosnt have a wide variety of blue collar areas.. unless you choose a ghetto.
And i know lyndhurst is affordable but, my sister lives there and so do ALL of her in laws... so no hah.. i love em! but NO.. my sister wants to leave so bad cuz her husband has 3 siblings that come and go a lot to there apartment... and i dont need that.Iits like they're half the population of lyndhurst

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 3,405,650 times
For the young ones, I can tell you that #1 find something that you'll love to do whether you get paid a million dollars or zilch, don't base your future on what's trendy today, for you might find yourself bored & out of your mind (see the movie "Office Space" for ref). When I first started in the IT industry it was in the business applications field. Now as someone else stated, a lot of CS major people find themselves w/o a job today because of outsourcing, if you're any smart, you'll realize that you have to evolve, grow and enhance whatever skills you acquire, right now I do database mgmt in the Direct Marketing industry, and that's long ways from where I started w/ Business applications. Also be patient, don't think you'll earn the big $$ immediately, work your way up, become the most valuable employee that your employer can't live w/o. That's how I went from earning $7/hour to a 6 figure salary today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey