Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times

Advertisements

Check the thermostat, is it a newer, 7 day programmable one with time slots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
it doesnt really make sense - if it were the thermostat that were broken and the A/C were on all the time it wouldn't be so hot...

Old 08-23-2008, 04:50 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleShadeResident View Post
Hi folks, I am new to this community....found it to be quite informative....
I moved in June this year to NJ and am staying in Maple Shade. I used to stay in TX earlier. My electric bills for the past two months has given me the shock of my life....I used to pay max of $60 in TX per month....but for June I got my electricity bill of $220(excluding gas charges) and July it was $330 (excluding gas charges). I stay in a 2 BR apartment. After a couple of complaints my apartment folks about the AC unable to cool the room to below 79 degrees at any time of the day, they put a new AC in our unit but the SEER(Energy Efficiency Rating) is 10.90 which is the least rating available ( The best is 20.50). I wrote a mail to PSE&G but they redirected me to the local township. I sent a mail to the Burlington townshhip but have still not got a response regarding my below two questions...

1. Is this kind of a bill common in NJ for a 2 BR apartment ?
2. Is the apartment management liable to provide me an AC with higher SEER ? A poor SEER means the tenant has to bear the brunt of a poorly functioning AC

I cannot afford to pay such a high bill...Its too expensive for me. Any sort of information would really be appreciated....
From what you are saying, it sounds like a window unit.
IMO, you're lucky they provided that, as I'm not sure they legally have to provide one. If it is a window unit, you can always go to Best Buy and get a new one.

FWIW, our electric bill was over $350 but we have a house, central air and I suffer most of the day because we keep it at 77-78. I don't doubt there was an increase in price from the electric company. Wiley started a post a month or so ago. Everyone's bill is high.

Thankfully it's been so nice we haven't had ours on in a week.

Those of you that have everything included in the rent, I actually wonder if your rent will be going up due to the utilities going up.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 14,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
That is a lot of energy. Something is really weird. Did you say this is a central unit or is it a wall unit? How big is your 2 br (sq ft?). How old (is the complex or building).

When you say central I am not sure if you mean Wall type unit or central that most of us think of like with the compressor outside and an air handler (blower) inside. If it is central, have you checked the filter recently?

1800 kw/h is exactly 3x what we use in a month in the summer, and we have dishwasher, washer, dryer (something you may or may not have- I don't know) - obviously impossible to really compare but this is an old 2 BR house, no insulation, etc.

17% isn't THAT much. I am really curious about this.

oh yes it is weird....I have confirmed that its the AC unit only which is consuming all this power...it is a centralized unit meaning there is the compressor outside which centrally cools all the rooms...its not a window unit.... I tried just switching off the AC and went to my meter to see how fast it was moving...it was moving like a snail in spite of all the lights and the refrigerator on...the moment I switched on the AC and its compressor started working, the meter was like a racing car....17% savings is when the difference was just 2... I am assuming it will be 22+% if the difference is 3.
I dont have a washer/dryer in the apartment...the apt is around 650 sqft..Filters were replaced and the thermostat is also new....several people in this community are complaining of the high electricity bills....thats the reason why I need someone to help me figure out how to get to the burlington municipal office and if they have any idea whom I could give my complaint to... a lot of the residents here are willing to sign a memorandum to submit to the municipal office ... whether they care to take action or not is upto them....there is nothing more that I can do...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Check the thermostat, is it a newer, 7 day programmable one with time slots?
the thermostat is new....but its not the programmable sort....

Old 08-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
From what you are saying, it sounds like a window unit.
IMO, you're lucky they provided that, as I'm not sure they legally have to provide one. If it is a window unit, you can always go to Best Buy and get a new one.

FWIW, our electric bill was over $350 but we have a house, central air and I suffer most of the day because we keep it at 77-78. I don't doubt there was an increase in price from the electric company. Wiley started a post a month or so ago. Everyone's bill is high.

Thankfully it's been so nice we haven't had ours on in a week.

Those of you that have everything included in the rent, I actually wonder if your rent will be going up due to the utilities going up.
EER rating is for the window unit and SEER rating is for the centralized unit....mine is a centralized unit.... I observed that the apartments which claim to pay all the utility bills including the electric bills charge a real high rent...

Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Are you able to put in a window unit? If so I would buy one (should be on sale this time of the year) and use that. I highly doubt you're going to get reimbursed for this although I could be wrong.

Go to the county building in Mount Holly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleShadeResident View Post
oh yes it is weird....I have confirmed that its the AC unit only which is consuming all this power...it is a centralized unit meaning there is the compressor outside which centrally cools all the rooms...its not a window unit.... I tried just switching off the AC and went to my meter to see how fast it was moving...it was moving like a snail in spite of all the lights and the refrigerator on...the moment I switched on the AC and its compressor started working, the meter was like a racing car....17% savings is when the difference was just 2... I am assuming it will be 22+% if the difference is 3.
I dont have a washer/dryer in the apartment...the apt is around 650 sqft..Filters were replaced and the thermostat is also new....several people in this community are complaining of the high electricity bills....thats the reason why I need someone to help me figure out how to get to the burlington municipal office and if they have any idea whom I could give my complaint to... a lot of the residents here are willing to sign a memorandum to submit to the municipal office ... whether they care to take action or not is upto them....there is nothing more that I can do...

Old 08-23-2008, 05:41 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Something is really not right about 1800 KW/H in a 650 sq ft apartment. I would shut off the central unit and use 2-3 of window units for 100 bucks each. Should pay for themselves fairly quickly at the rate you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: