U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 PM

19 posts, read 62,296 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for housing ASAP, and was hoping I could ask some questions.

Are there any places besides Craigslist and the Rutgers Off-Campus service to find housing? I am having trouble finding and reaching people, several of the postings I took down have been filled already.

I'm living in a hotel right now, so I do need a place ASAP.

Need a place near George and Albany street, and I don't have a car, so it limits my selection a lot. Just looking for a room in a house, or to spend under 700ish.

Any sites, numbers, etc. that people can recommend?

On a side note..
Is there a Chinatown area anywhere near? I haven't been able to find anything..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM

75 posts, read 330,625 times
The train is right there on George St. and takes you into the best Chinatown in the U.S. -- the one in Manhattan! But if it's because you need Asian groceries, Hong Kong supermarket is available on 18 South, not too many miles out (it's in East Brunswick, I think). Edison is also nearby and has a strong Asian community, presumably with the food to go with it.

The Rutgers Housing website is really the best there is in my opinion, but you could also grab the local paper and look in the classified section.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 11,684 times
there isn't much there, but you can also try the Facebook Marketplace listings if you are part of the Rutgers facebook network

the same goes for Uloop. there are some listings there as well.

good luck - I'm looking too and I'm having quite a difficult time as well, partially because I'm not currently in New Brunswick and I only want something for the Fall 08 semester.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,177,414 times
Here is a Link to off Campus Student Apartments---

NJ Off-Campus Housing, NJ Student Housing, and other Housing Information

Rutgers: New Brunswick, NJ Apartments MLS, Student housing NJ

As far as a Chinatown, the closest I know is off Canal & Mott Street in NYC. You can take the train in New Brunswick to get there, then a subway in NYC.

Diane G

Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,098 times
Hello, I currently live in an apartment on douglass, not too far from college ave and i wouldn't mind switching with you!!! please let me know so we can get this done before next semester. thanks!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,818,885 times
actually the Chinatown in Brooklyn in Sunset Park along 8th Ave is probably closer

If you would be willing to live there, you could take the train to Manhattan

if not Edison has the largest chinese population in the area

NJ has more Korean than Chinese though

Have you tried Craigslist, or a chinese newspaper (if you want chinese landlord)?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
You can always go on ULoop. Sometimes there are listings on there. There are also sublets at times if you are looking for something short-term. If you don't mind on-campus, you can be placed on a waiting list or see if there are any openings. Last year, I lived at the Crowne Plaza for my housing through Rutgers and it was awesome save for internet issues.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM

273 posts, read 583,181 times
I am curious if this person still needs a place 1.5 yrs later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey