Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:01 AM

12 posts, read 74,647 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live and work in the city but we are looking to have kids soon and want to buy a larger place to settle down. We have looked at places in Manhattan, Long Island City, West NY, Edgewater and Fort Lee but have not found anything we love yet.

We are now considering Jersey City. I have read the numerous forums with negative and positive reviews and am still unsure about Jersey City.

We are looking for:
- 2+ bedroom with parking
- Budget: 600-800K
- Condo, preferably high-rise luxury building
- Waterfront a plus
- Proximity to NYC, Path Train
- Grocery store, stores nearby

Can anyone recommend any condo buildings in Jersey City to check out? It seems that the downtown Jersey City area is the best bet, maybe Paulus Hook? Would this area be a good place to raise young kids?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by nycgirl610; 08-11-2008 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,288,747 times
There's tons of places that meet your needs, provided that you can afford them. The one thing that would concern me is the kids- JC is not someplace to raise kids, IMO, unless you're able to afford private school. If it were me, I'd look at some of the more suburban areas along the train routes- this will require a longer commute, but it's definitely the right move if you're planning on having kids.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,246,773 times
I PERSONALLY wouldn't raise kids in JC (or any city for that matter)....however, TONS of young professional couples are raising kids in Jersey City.

Look into:

Grove Pointe (although these may be rental only)
50 Columbus
Gull's Cove
Sugar House
Liberty Harbor North
77 Hudson (still being built)

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,168,790 times
there are a few new condos being built in newport/pavonia and exchange place. excellent water front or almost water front (within 2 blocks) locations. there is a direct path train to world trade center from exchange place and 33rd and WTC from pavonia. depending on the condo location, it will be a <10 min walk to the path station. there are also ferry connections from both to mid-town and down-town.

as everyone suggested, schooling seems to be the only issue..otherwise pavnoia & exchange place are excellent location for living and commuting to the city.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 AM

12 posts, read 37,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl610 View Post
My husband and I currently live and work in the city but we are looking to have kids soon and want to buy a larger place to settle down. We have looked at places in Manhattan, Long Island City, West NY, Edgewater and Fort Lee but have not found anything we love yet.

We are now considering Jersey City. I have read the numerous forums with negative and positive reviews and am still unsure about Jersey City.

We are looking for:
- 2+ bedroom with parking
- Budget: 600-800K
- Condo, preferably high-rise luxury building
- Waterfront a plus
- Proximity to NYC, Path Train
- Grocery store, stores nearby

Can anyone recommend any condo buildings in Jersey City to check out? It seems that the downtown Jersey City area is the best bet, maybe Paulus Hook? Would this area be a good place to raise young kids?

Thanks in advance

Paulus Hook is nice, I would also check out Liberty Harbor. These brownstones and condos in Jersey City are conveniently located, within your budget, right near the water (and right by Liberty State Park), close to NYC and transportation to get there, and more.

Liberty Harbor is full of amenities and security measures. Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,360,675 times
Does JC have real schools? JC has one of worse schools you can find. Pick another place to raise kids..Believe me, your kids will thank you.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 AM

357 posts, read 1,024,136 times
Doesn't Jersecy City have the best high school in Jersey, also top 30 in the country? McNair Academy?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,246,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Doesn't Jersecy City have the best high school in Jersey, also top 30 in the country? McNair Academy?
Yup, that's correct...in Hamilton Park neighborhood. I always found that strange.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,582,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
It's a small high school with only the most gifted students in JC who work extremely hard and are dedicated to excellence. The other 4 high schools are like war zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey