Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times

Advertisements

There are other options in NJ as well, you can look into any areas with a train or bus service to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 21,908 times
Thanks everyone for all of your input! Sorry it's been a week since I have been able to get back on. I actually found a place near West Side Ave in Jersey City. It is much nicer and cleaner. While I am not crazy about staying here it is what it is for now. I unfortunately do not know anyone anywhere else where I can afford to go so I have to stay where I have some sort of social life. I am looking for a local moving company if anyone can recommend one and my BIGGEST problem of why I am leaving (I am very embarrassed to even mention it) the people and building has a big roach problem that I was not aware of when I moved in. My friend was with me, new the area, we saw they sprayed monthly (thinking it was a good thing, not bad, stupid us) now I am leaving but completely skeeved and freaked out. Does anyone know how I prevent taking any with me?? And does anyone know if egg nests are visible to the eye??

Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Thank you so much!!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
BIGGEST problem of why I am leaving (I am very embarrassed to even mention it) the people and building has a big roach problem that I was not aware of when I moved in. My friend was with me, new the area, we saw they sprayed monthly (thinking it was a good thing, not bad, stupid us) now I am leaving but completely skeeved and freaked out. Does anyone know how I prevent taking any with me?? And does anyone know if egg nests are visible to the eye??
Gross! I feel so bad for you. I dealt with this once and it is completely disgusting. I would do a little research on this before you move so you don't bring them along. I'm certain you can find something. Good luck and I hope you like the new place. I really like living in JC and it's much better to have friends around than to move to a place like Masbeth where you don't know anyone. (Ho hum!)

Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Gross! I feel so bad for you. I dealt with this once and it is completely disgusting. I would do a little research on this before you move so you don't bring them along. I'm certain you can find something. Good luck and I hope you like the new place. I really like living in JC and it's much better to have friends around than to move to a place like Masbeth where you don't know anyone. (Ho hum!)
I know, that is why I came here in the first place. I was living in Binghamton, NY and had no one left (my mother passed away and I got divorced) so I was hoping to have a fresh start. Now I am utterly skeeved and am praying that my belongings aren't ruined. When you moved did you do anything special to prevent taking eggs with you? I called Orkin and unfortunately there isn't anything b/c they said NOTHING will penetrate an egg nest and I could pack and still not see them. I never, ever had problems with bugs in my life, this is really, really upsetting! Thank you for listening to me!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Sorry about your mom.

When we had the infestation in our building it was mainly in our kitchen only (I don't know about other apartments). We had an exterminator come and he used this "gel" stuff (investigate this in Google, it's amazing and totally worked). So before we moved out we hadn't seen a bug in a while. I guess there were not any unhatched eggs because after he came that was it. No more roaches in our apartment.

I would make sure to really shake everything out good (clothes/blankets/towels). Are you moving furniture like sofa/chairs that have cushions? I'm not sure a roach would make a home in there so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think roaches mainly stay in the kitchen/bath areas.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Thank you...

I am moving furniture, not sure if I was taking the sofa and recliner I have now. An exterminator did come, the building gets sprayed every month, and I put down gel and traps but it's a big people and building problem, especially from the guy across the hall from me!! I was going to shake everything etc. and not move everything I have also.

Thanks for your input and help!! Have a great night!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
ok go to a store and get a bomb, its like a raid thing that fogs a room, make sure its for roaches. Put everything you own in one room, make sure your electronics especially are on top and the spray/fog midst can get in the vents of the tv,computers you get it, roaches love to live inside electronics, they eat the glue and its warm. Then pull the bomb, leave the apt take animals, put towel under door and leave for at least the time the directions say. Come back wipe everything down to get film off then good to go, move as quick as possible. This works and is cheap for your budget. They give you like two bombs to a pack. Its bought in a big supermarket its called raid fogger or raid bomb something like that. Good luck. I remember when my sister went to Fordham University the dorms had roaches and she used the fogger it worked. Make sure none are in your shoes , pockets, clothes, draws, so its best to take everything out. Bring one roach to a new apt. your screwed!! But this works!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 PM

+ 1 on that advice. I was going to suggest a bomb as well but her exterminator said nothing penetrates the egg nests. Good advice though especially the part to do it right before you move. Watch out though, it can be extremely horrific because when you re-enter the apartment if the infestation is really bad you will have mounds of dead roaches all over the floor to sweep up. Had to do this once a long time ago and the aftermath was quite scarey.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Default get out of JC

I live in JC and it's not pretty. West Side avenue is horrible. I would suggest moving nearby to West new york, Union City, and Weehawken. These places are all within 15 minutes of a bus into times square. If you keep going up kennedy blvd up to 5th street starts Union city and then up to 49th street to West new York. West new york, North bergen and weehawken all have nice views to NYC and are right across the river so commuting is a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey